recommended glue

basslord1124

Master member
So I've got a balsa trainer needing some minor repairs (probably a complete rebuild of the horizontal stab) that I want to get flying again plus I may be slowly adding more balsa models to my collection over time. What is the recommended glues for minor repairs, rebuilding of parts, kit building, etc?

I have used CA and some Gorilla Glue in the past.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It really depends on what kind of repair is needed. I've used CA, epoxy, TiteBond, and other glues for work like this in the past. Sometimes simply wicking some CA through a cut in the covering is all that's needed. If I'm reinforcing a break with a small piece of carbon fiber I'll sometimes use a little epoxy - although epoxy is heavy and needs to be used sparingly on the tail.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks Joker for some suggestions. I think I was wondering especially about woodglue which I have never really used. So I didn't really know when it was recommended over CA or other glues.

One thing with my trainer's horizontal stab is that it cracked and broke mainly down the center. I may attempt to fix it as is but I had also pondered just a rebuild of it...like more of a ribbed or split up structure...

(like this: https://esquared.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/img_0948.jpg )

compared to the solid piece it is now. And I didn't know if a different glue was recommended for something like that.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So I've got a balsa trainer needing some minor repairs (probably a complete rebuild of the horizontal stab) that I want to get flying again plus I may be slowly adding more balsa models to my collection over time. What is the recommended glues for minor repairs, rebuilding of parts, kit building, etc?

I have used CA and some Gorilla Glue in the past.
As a hobby within a hobby I like to restore old balsa and wooden planes that are destined for landfill. As most are either badly crashed/splintered or full of wood rot and plans are not available it is a little time consuming. It does tend to be frustrating but very rewarding to see the old bird start a new life.

I use a range of glues but 3 are most important. Epoxy, CA, and a Por-UHU Equivalent, (a craft glue which is available in the US as Sullivans craft glue). http://www.sullivans.net/proddetail.asp?ProdCode=49901

The Epoxy is for hardwood/metal/CF/Ply.plastic joints including the re-laminating of swollen or damaged plywood parts.
The CA is used to piece together splintered balsa parts for use as templates as well as a rapid locking method when fixing the alignment of wing ribs in a jig.
The Sullivans is used for sheeting work and blind, (fill and bind), repairs.

An accidental and rather fortunate use of the Sullivans is that it also glues FB extremely well and provides a superior final product than Hotmelt on FB planes though it takes a while longer to set/dry.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
As a hobby within a hobby I like to restore old balsa and wooden planes that are destined for landfill. As most are either badly crashed/splintered or full of wood rot and plans are not available it is a little time consuming. It does tend to be frustrating but very rewarding to see the old bird start a new life.

I use a range of glues but 3 are most important. Epoxy, CA, and a Por-UHU Equivalent, (a craft glue which is available in the US as Sullivans craft glue). http://www.sullivans.net/proddetail.asp?ProdCode=49901

The Epoxy is for hardwood/metal/CF/Ply.plastic joints including the re-laminating of swollen or damaged plywood parts.
The CA is used to piece together splintered balsa parts for use as templates as well as a rapid locking method when fixing the alignment of wing ribs in a jig.
The Sullivans is used for sheeting work and blind, (fill and bind), repairs.

An accidental and rather fortunate use of the Sullivans is that it also glues FB extremely well and provides a superior final product than Hotmelt on FB planes though it takes a while longer to set/dry.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

I like that you try and restore old balsa planes. That's awesome! I will say, I must have a disclaimer written on my forehead that states "give me your planes you are about to trash". At our club one time some member just handed me an old 3 channel foamie pusher that he was wanting to get rid of/about to trash. Gave me everything with it...radio and all. Of course none of it worked (old FM radio, exploded batteries in Tx, older brushed motor that didn't show any life, etc), but I still have it and hope to bring it to life one day.

Never heard of Sullivans but I may check it out. Thanks for the rest of your reply, it's helping give me some ideas.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've also found that working with balsa, most glues will be stronger than the surrounding wood so weight and working time are the things that really drive my glue choice.

Good old Elmer's PVA white wood glue and aliphatic glues like Titebond I (or II or III) and Sig Bond are ones I use frequently, but my favorite is Deluxe Super'Phatic - it wicks in very well, sets up reasonably quickly but not so fast I can rush to the next step.