recommended throw/deflection question

basslord1124

Master member
Quick question on throw/deflection that's printed on the plans...

Is this the recommended setting for high rates if you set high rates or like the recommended maximum degree of throw?

Namactual

Elite member
It's a maximum.

Your dual rates are usually set for things like launches and landings where you want to be easier on the sticks. You dial down the rates to a % of your maximum.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I have developed the habit of using low rate with expo initially, then hiking it up. Ultimately, I think I'll settle on switchable low/high both with 30% expo to keep things manageable during low level but also allowing for full acro work too.

Bricks

Master member
I normally set up 3 rates low, medium, and high. My expo is set so my center stick feels the same in all 3 rates. Where you have the softer feel is individual thing, the way i set up my expo is say I hold my rudder at just off center in rate 1 and set expo to 30% when I switch to rate 2 with the same stick position. I set my expo so the rudder stays in the same position as rate 2 and so on for rate 3. Rate 3 may have 80-90% expo or more. This way as my speed increases my center is easy to keep control of the plane but yet gives me the ability to have more control at slower 3D speeds such as harrier or hovering.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When setting up your control surface deflections on the Ailerons with the use of Expo the exact deflection amount is less important. All of the previous posts are a good enough guide to get you safely flying with good control.

I am just posting so that you might consider the inclusion of differential in your aileron control settings. Normally I use 3 to 5 degrees of angular differential on my servo control arms prior to setting my maximum deflections.

With the correct amount of differential the rolls become more axial and the drag due to aileron usage close to stall does not lead to extreme yaw or even apparent control reversal followed immediately by tip stall.

Whilst not compulsory after you start setting differential you will wonder why you ever flew without it!

Just a thought!

have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
Wow, lots of good tips here...especially what you said Bricks. Thanks!

Hai-Lee...I did what you had suggested when I built my FT Storch. In fact, I want to think it was part of the build video that Bixler did. I do think I have completely forgot about that idea for future builds though.