Help! Recommended use for a 1300KV brushless motor with 20A brushless ESC

TheRealSeal

I am an RC novice when it comes to the numbers and ratings on motors and ESC so I have a very loose understanding. The motor/ESC combo is from an Airfield RC 800mm corsair and runs with 2S 7.4v 1500mAh 35c lipos , but I am wanting to yank the electronics and use them in a scratch or DIY build. Can anyone give me some insight on what size of plane I can put this power train into? Is this comparable to any of the Flite Test power packs? I am wanting to build a midsized plane that I can practice/transition with without worrying about trashing it, so I would like a slightly bigger build. Can I go bigger than the 800mm corsair that I pulled it out of, say 900-1000mm?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am an RC novice when it comes to the numbers and ratings on motors and ESC so I have a very loose understanding. The motor/ESC combo is from an Airfield RC 800mm corsair and runs with 2S 7.4v 1500mAh 35c lipos , but I am wanting to yank the electronics and use them in a scratch or DIY build. Can anyone give me some insight on what size of plane I can put this power train into? Is this comparable to any of the Flite Test power packs? I am wanting to build a midsized plane that I can practice/transition with without worrying about trashing it, so I would like a slightly bigger build. Can I go bigger than the 800mm corsair that I pulled it out of, say 900-1000mm?
It's between a F pack and a B pack, but if anything it's closer to a B pack. It would work perfect for an old speedster or old fogey, and would fly something like the scout or stick at about 90%

TheRealSeal

It's between a F pack and a B pack, but if anything it's closer to a B pack. It would work perfect for an old speedster or old fogey, and would fly something like the scout or stick at about 90%

I am most interested in the FT Bushwacker as I think it would a good beater to use as a stepping stone before I commit to flying my Durafly Tundra (really don't want to trash it on the maiden lol.) The Power Pack C is recommended for the Bushwacker but on this compatibility chart it says pack B would also work. Could my motor handle it, and if not could I just scale down the Bushwacker planes to 80-90%?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am most interested in the FT Bushwacker as I think it would a good beater to use as a stepping stone before I commit to flying my Durafly Tundra (really don't want to trash it on the maiden lol.) The Power Pack C is recommended for the Bushwacker but on this compatibility chart it says pack B would also work. Could my motor handle it, and if not could I just scale down the Bushwacker planes to 80-90%?
A scaled-down bushwacker would definitely work! I'd probably do it at 80% and try to build it as light as possible.

TheRealSeal

A scaled-down bushwacker would definitely work! I'd probably do it at 80% and try to build it as light as possible.

After thinking about this more it raised another question: Shouldn't I worry more about scaling down the weight more than the size? I'm not sure the weight of the plane the motor originally came from, but as long as the weight is the same or less, the size should be irrelevant, right? Assuming the drag is not unreasonably higher.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
After thinking about this more it raised another question: Shouldn't I worry more about scaling down the weight more than the size? I'm not sure the weight of the plane the motor originally came from, but as long as the weight is the same or less, the size should be irrelevant, right? Assuming the drag is not unreasonably higher.
The bushwacker had a large cowl, so I'm not sure you would be able to get away with a standard-sized one. However you definitely have the right idea - if the weight is the same you should be good (excluding things like drag.)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm not sure I know what you mean
Well the cowl is large enough that will block the airflow of a certain diameter of the prop. If your prop isn't big enough to get past that, you won't have any propwash over the control surfaces or any thrust that's propelling the plane forward.

TheRealSeal

Well the cowl is large enough that will block the airflow of a certain diameter of the prop. If your prop isn't big enough to get past that, you won't have any propwash over the control surfaces or any thrust that's propelling the plane forward.

Oh, that is a very good point. For this motor I only have a couple different sized 3-blade props from the corsair so I would have to scale down accordingly to get enough rudder/elevator control. I guess I should also look at other models perhaps

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh, that is a very good point. For this motor I only have a couple different sized 3-blade props from the corsair so I would have to scale down accordingly to get enough rudder/elevator control. I guess I should also look at other models perhaps
What size are the props? Generally you can add an inch to prop length when you drop a blade.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
They are both 3-blade. The power pack B comes with a 2 blade 9x4.5 which is fairly comparable in thrust to a 3 blade 8x6. So I think I would be safe scaling down the plans to around 90% with the given motor and props
I ran my bushwacker on a 9 inch prop several times I believe. You should be fine at 100% with a 9x4.5