unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
There was the episode a while back with the parachute plane, but I would love to see an episode for Heli, Multirotor, and plane pilots on recovery parachute options, for when things go too wrong to catch, and espeically for multis, since they have the glide path of a homesick rock.

I know MARS makes recovery chutes, but I'd like to see, perhaps a test of those, and a test of some FT-concocted cheapo solutions, for those of us who, once we build our big, expensive multirotor, want to have some sort of failsafe or backup plan, even if crashes are inevitable.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
There was another thread a few weeks ago requesting an episode on failsafes, but there are too many different flight controllers with unique fail safes to make that a viable episode. What would be nice is an episode about ways to save your multirotor/plane in the event of failure. They could demo a parachute, RTH, a failsafe controlled descent, etc. It could be interesting because a lot of people are concerned a parachute will just get your model stuck high up in the trees, while electronic failsafe could turn your model into a falling rock.

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
There was another thread a few weeks ago requesting an episode on failsafes, but there are too many different flight controllers with unique fail safes to make that a viable episode. What would be nice is an episode about ways to save your multirotor/plane in the event of failure. They could demo a parachute, RTH, a failsafe controlled descent, etc. It could be interesting because a lot of people are concerned a parachute will just get your model stuck high up in the trees, while electronic failsafe could turn your model into a falling rock.

That would be very good. I know that a big multi would be best with a combination of electronic failsafes like return to home, and physical ones, like a chute, but I'd not have any clue where to start with integrating the two or applying them sensibly.

Very nice. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for sharing!

Tench745

Master member
If you set up a servo powered release mechanism to hold the parachute in place, then set your failsafe for that channel to release the parachute, even if everything else shut down the multi wouldn't be a total loss on impact.

brettp2004

I've thought about making a "black box" for a quad that would deploy a parachute, a long bright streamer to make it easier to locate and possibly an alarm. Has anyone ever tried using a 12v solenoid, http://www.jameco.com/1/1/760-smt-1632s12a-r-12vdc-tubular-push-solenoid-actuators.htmllike this, instead of a servo to open/close hatches or anything? I was thinking of something like a film can with a spring in it. When the fail safe opens it the spring shoots everything out. Any thoughts?

Drake600

Sound plausible - a mechanism like that wouldn't need much travel to activate if the release mechanism is made well enough. I'm imagining a loop in the end of a piece of wire, held in place by the pin of the solenoid. If your build tolerances are good I think it would be better than a servo (much faster actuation), but you would need a pull type instead of push, unless you keep it energised continuously and activate by turning it off, which would also be a loss-of-power failsafe but need a solenoid rated for 100% duty cycle, as well as remembering to lock it down before changing batteries :black_eyed:

I like the idea of using a spring to eject the chute - less chance of catching on the airframe as long as your rotors don't suck it back down. I had a very similar idea for my fixed wing misadventures, once I build something big enough to carry my gopro.