Red Brick 30A Fire !!!!! Be Warned !!!!

voipmonkey

Hi Guys
found some old red brick esc's in the RC Stash and thought i would try and stick the simon K firmware on them. Found a thread that explained they could be flashed no problem.

I used the lazyzero flash tool and downloaded the tgy.hex onto one of them. No Problem...
powered up and no throttle response.. Thought been here before...
calibrated the throttle and nothing ha[[ened just two beeps when i raised the throttle.
i then thought i know wonder if i need to use a old firmware ... (This is where it went all wrong...)

went back to 2012-06-10 previous version and looked a lot better. got lots more beeps all looking good...
i calibrated the throttle and powered on for the first time. 3 beeps as usual all good . raised the throttle and ***BANG***

All the smoke came out :(

just wondered if any of you guys have had any smokey fun with esc's !!!

Mark

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Funny you mention this, my red 30 went up in smoke after a snowy landing, and my ss40 played fire starter while programming.
Other than plush, are there any bulletproof ESC's out there? That don't go boom during programming?

voipmonkey

I am playing with blue series Hobby King at mo. seem to be running nice with simon k on them so i guess time will tell :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The Turnigy aren't really bulletproof either, especially if your bullets are made of salt water. I've burnt two of them already, both because of salt sea water. Apart from that, I have a RedBrick which I have not flashed, but it seems to be working well so far...

voipmonkey

i have another 4 that i am not going to flash.. Might stick them onto the H-Quad i am building :) see how they fair on there. was not having a good day yesterday. Blew a KK2.0 board up too connected the jst connector the wrong way and sent 12v down the earth :( smoke out no more worky :(

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The Birdie ESC's that HK sells are crap too! The throttle range won't set. I've tried with two different TX's and their appropriate RX's. Throttle starts at about 1/4 stick and is full throttle at 3/4 stick.

Bigshow4u

The Turnigy aren't really bulletproof either, especially if your bullets are made of salt water. I've burnt two of them already, both because of salt sea water. Apart from that, I have a RedBrick which I have not flashed, but it seems to be working well so far...

I like flying in any weather other than cold weather. To water proof my esc's i use liquid electrical tape or plastidip (both are about the same) and apply it into the openings where the wires come out. They even peel off if you need it to. I dont even worry about the motors, water is a higher resistance so there have been no shorts there (so far). I do the same with the rx and any other electrical device. i have flown in some heavy rains and have yet had any problems. Might help you with that pesky salt water. ;)