Red Brick ESC for Quad X

Arno1978

Hi guys

finished my Quad X build this weekend, and used the build video below to pick some of my parts

http://flitetest.com/articles/H_Quad_Scratch_Build

It mentioned in the build that the Red Brick ESC's would keep up, but I have found that they fail.

The problem seesm to be with the PWM rating of 400hz of the i86 KK board for the ESC's, they can handle the update signals sent at such a high frequency.

I woul need to replace all my ESC's with PLUSH ESC's but beofre I do that, I just want to know if anyone else experienced the same problem.

Symptoms : The I will start up my Quad, hover for a couple of seconds, and one of the motors would just die. Test the ESC on a seperate setup, it works, but as soon as I reconnect it to my KK board, it fails, and this is repeated for the other 4 ESC's as well.

Thanks

Arno

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks I saw this article, but time I do not have, skill maybe :)

The comment on the article says that some arrive flashable, others don't... Seems to be a dodgy issue... But I don't understand why they would fail... Have you tried changing the timing?

Arno1978

According to what I know and seen is that these 20A Red Brick ESCs are very basic in programming them, and they cannot be programmed for a different timing setting, unless I have missed something.

I have 4 Turnigy Plush ESC's that I will try out, they will work, the only catch is one of them is a 25A ESC the rest is 30A, but I have seen articles where they mention that as long as the ESC calibration is done correctly then it shouldn't cause a problem.

ipetepete

I have the RedBricks for my Ycopter. I find that they do an ok job with the gyros dialed down, but of course that makes it pretty hard to control, constant corrections are necessary.

My ESCs don't have the programming pads, so I was going to make a flashing tool with polymer clay to flash the chip directly, but opted to get some micro probe clamps (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10086) to do the job instead.

I am planning to do a write up of my process. I am hoping it works, otherwise I'll be getting some new ESCs. I'll report on my success/failure, they are ATmega chips so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

JoeTapia

Hi guys

finished my Quad X build this weekend, and used the build video below to pick some of my parts

http://flitetest.com/articles/H_Quad_Scratch_Build

It mentioned in the build that the Red Brick ESC's would keep up, but I have found that they fail.

The problem seesm to be with the PWM rating of 400hz of the i86 KK board for the ESC's, they can handle the update signals sent at such a high frequency.

I woul need to replace all my ESC's with PLUSH ESC's but beofre I do that, I just want to know if anyone else experienced the same problem.

Symptoms : The I will start up my Quad, hover for a couple of seconds, and one of the motors would just die. Test the ESC on a seperate setup, it works, but as soon as I reconnect it to my KK board, it fails, and this is repeated for the other 4 ESC's as well.

Thanks

Arno

I just finished the exact same build, and had the exact same problem. H-quad, with redbrick esc's and the kk2 board. could not figure out what the problem, and ironically enough i also just decided to purchase plush escs. :p ive been looking for someone on the web with the same problem i was experiencing. glad to know im not alone. but upset with the performance of those esc's..

ABQ Bobcat

I have watched my H quad go down twice as a result of the Red Brick ESCs - they live up to their name! I will be replacing my Red Bricks with something more reliable, not sure yet but I'm a bit ticked on the reliability of those.