Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

shhhhh!

Jason, great job on the article. Don't forget prototype #2 flew great ! The only difference between prototype #2 and the final model is the skins.
They are essentially the same plane. The video validates the excellence of the design in terms of aesthetics and functionality.
We started with an idea and executed it. Don't be down, stay positive..the video tells the story. A broken solder joint is easy to fix.

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
If the curse is real, then I am seriously cursed. I was just out riding my bike when both wheels got so many punctures that they almost fell off. What I am saying is, be careful or the curse will get you.

shhhhh!

Absolutely, the curse is real ! This morning I took my Mother's car to the car wash,paid $40.00 for the gold service......and then it rained.
I looked up at the sky and saw a cloud that had the shape of "The Red Bull" :D

shhhhh!

Yikes!!! :eek: So far have nine flights on my Red Bull Racer. Awesome pylon plane ! Flies hands off now and really grooves. Currently building another one with a speed wing and tail feathers .
-dave

Last edited:

Mclags

Out of pure interest, how many hours do you reckon you each spent on this challenge?
Designing, building and testing all included.
Just curious is all lol

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Out of pure interest, how many hours do you reckon you each spent on this challenge?
Designing, building and testing all included.
Just curious is all lol

Interesting question. I would guess that I had about 30 hours in the design, another 20-30 in the build, and about 3 minutes of testing/flying time.

DamoRC

shhhhh!

Yes, excellent question..Similiar numbers to Damon
30-40 hrs in design
30 hours in building prototypes #1 and #2
Another 40 hours just thinking about it
30 hours writing the documentation, photos and video
so far... 30 mintutes of actual flight time and testing.
It is no trivial matter to seriously enter a Flite Challenge and design a plane that can fly well. It makes one really appreciate the efforts of Flite Test and the creativity demonstrated by the entrants in this challenge. Also provides one an opportunity to work through a fair amount of adversity.
-dave

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i would say i easily put in that amount plus all my 3D printer time. i spent 36hrs alone on printing the motor pods and that doesn't count my actual design time on the computer, so prob another 10 hrs easy on top of that. then you have the laser time, learning the laser, doing the inkscape time to create the .svg files, plus the building, plus the time on the phone, plus the time creating skins, plus printing time, plus driving time getting to all these places, plus.....

it just goes on and on. i think this was one of the main reasons i wasn't to upset when it went into the dirt again. i was pretty much done with it. i will build another at some point but for now i'm gonna just walk away for a bit.

laters,

me :cool:

shhhhh!

Jason, Totally understand. Maybe before you walk away try to analyze why the failures occurred, why the plane crashed,etc..
Thats where the real learning happens. This requires the ability to objectively step back and look at ones building skills,flying skills,programmng skills,time management skills etc and the design. Most individuals can't do this and are doomed to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Hopefully,you will build another one in the future,sounds like you will. It is an awesome plane, one that I really enjoy flying, so much so that I am currently working on the next revision. Also makes a nice Avatar, lol. Should have video/photos and complete plans in 6 weeks.
-dave

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thanks dave, but i am well aware of why it crashed and it had nothing to do with my building or flying skills, programming, time management, or design of the plane. :unsure:

laters,

shhhhh!

"it just goes on and on. i think this was one of the main reasons i wasn't to upset when it went into the dirt again. i was pretty much done with it. i will build another at some point but for now i'm gonna just walk away for a bit. "

"thanks dave, but i am well aware of why it crashed and it had nothing to do with my building or flying skills, programming, time management, or design of the plane."

"well, it flew but i hate to report the curse continues... i will post up some pics and video later when i can."

Jason totally understand why you removed your own video. The difference is I wouldn't have posted this one in the first place,lol..

Jason, I respectfully disagree..I am curious what your analysis is? Usually the pilot holding the Tx is responsible for the flight of the plane. Just look at the last video you posted..Clearly two obvious mistakes were made in that video..unfortunately involving safety issues while the plane was only sitting on a table! You are a relatively new pilot and not as good as you think you are. I am not that good and have been flying for over 50 yrs. There is no dispute here, however you have no video of a successful flight, why not? It is an easy plane to launch and fly so what was the problem?
- Anti aircraft strike!!:geek:

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Dave, if you would like to talk to me, you have my phone number. if you continue to try and elicit a response here, like this, i will and it won't make anyone happy. i think you are well aware of why i stopped caring so please stop.

so, with that said, anyone else get one of these? :)

"Hey my friend!

Stefan here from Flite Test! I wanted to ask you a few questions about the Redbull Air race competition. Could you send me an email at stefan@flitetest.com and we can go through everything! Just let me know your name etc when you email me and why! ha

Thanks man!
Blessings,
Stefan"

once again, bummed we stumbled at the finish. we could have been even better.

laters,

Mclags

Dave, if you would like to talk to me, you have my phone number. if you continue to try and elicit a response here, like this, i will and it won't make anyone happy. i think you are well aware of why i stopped caring so please stop.

so, with that said, anyone else get one of these? :)

"Hey my friend!

Stefan here from Flite Test! I wanted to ask you a few questions about the Redbull Air race competition. Could you send me an email at stefan@flitetest.com and we can go through everything! Just let me know your name etc when you email me and why! ha

Thanks man!
Blessings,
Stefan"

once again, bummed we stumbled at the finish. we could have been even better.

laters,

Yup I got one of those!