Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Hey @Ketchup - the method I described today at the field only applies to my workflow (3D model in sketchup, unfold using a plugin, export to a .DXF file, open in DoubleCAD XT, print to CutePDF to make a PDF file). If you are going to 2D model your plans then you should probably use Inkscape. If I understand correctly, you can save the Inkscape drawing directly as a PDF file. My workflow is complicated just because I am doing the 3D modelling in Sketchup.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The Bull Rider

So I guess DamoRC and DamoRC Jnr are now "Team Bull Rider"

X-ray animation in Sketchup to show where the logos will go
Without the X-rays...

Still a lot of details to work out and I am out of town for a week but should start the build next week (he said hopefully)

DamoRC

Liam B

I want to get started on this as well! Good old me, lonely up here in Gold Country doesn’t have anyone to team up with...

BUT that doesn’t stop me! I already have ideas! Hehehehe!.....

And wow, DamoRC, that’s is REALLY cool with the wings being held off of the fuselage!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I started thinking, and I ditched the flugtag plane idea because I want to make something a little bit more creative.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I have built the wing for my new design and here it is! I didn’t get anything else done today so this is all I have at the moment. Also, I am going to keep posting my progress to see if you can guess what I am making (or you could just ask me and I will tell you).

Ketchup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
got my feet wet with the laser cutter today. hope to have our plans all digitized and ready to cut for anyone. i always wanted and FT Racer so it was my first choice for a test...

20180706_183146 (1).jpg

looks pretty good so far... ;)

also hope to have templates for our submission by monday, then put into inkscape for cutting.

laters,

me :cool:

hallis21

So, a small update on my canned goods... It actually flew quite well once i shifted the center of mass, but unfortunatly the recording stopped so no video to show this time. :( I do however have pictures of the aftermath :cry: (easy fix though). Considering the front can crumbles really easily, it turns into a really good shock absorber, so the plane is mostly unharmed, it really only bent the tail. The only downside with having a shock absorber up front is the fact that it is also my battery storage...
IMG_20180707_123641.jpg
IMG_20180707_123700.jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Out of town with daughter's softball for most of the week so just catching up now.

IAlso, I am going to keep posting my progress to see if you can guess what I am making

An Edge 540?

i always wanted and FT Racer so it was my first choice for a test...

Looks really sharp (saw the finished product in some other threads). Looking forward to seeing more on the entry build.

So, a small update on my canned goods..
- "canned goods"- nice:LOL:!

It actually flew quite well once i shifted the center of mass
- Great - look forward to the re-build - does this mean you will be over-caffeinated again?;)

DamoRC

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So, a small update on my canned goods... It actually flew quite well once i shifted the center of mass, but unfortunatly the recording stopped so no video to show this time. :( I do however have pictures of the aftermath :cry: (easy fix though). Considering the front can crumbles really easily, it turns into a really good shock absorber, so the plane is mostly unharmed, it really only bent the tail. The only downside with having a shock absorber up front is the fact that it is also my battery storage...

Oh man! We NEED video of this thing in flight! :D

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
our plan is complete and will hopefully be ready for flight by mid week. i have the various motors for testing arriving this thursday. as soon as i have the templates in hand, hopefully friday. i can import into inkscape and convert to the laser cutter. hope to have a full set of cut ready plans by monday. cut tuesday then build, fly wednesday?

cross fingers.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
our plan is complete and will hopefully be ready for flight by mid week. i have the various motors for testing arriving this thursday. as soon as i have the templates in hand, hopefully friday. i can import into inkscape and convert to the laser cutter. hope to have a full set of cut ready plans by monday. cut tuesday then build, fly wednesday?

cross fingers.

Now that sounds like a plan - an actual plan! I should try one of those things - I'll be lucky to start cutting foam this week

DamoRC

hallis21

So finally re-assembled, should be ready to test fly this bad boy later today or tomorrow. Added some to the wingspan so this craft is now rocking an 80cm wing. :)
IMG_20180714_180418_1.jpg

BTW, where do you think the vlog/build process should be posted? The workbench?

Last edited: