Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

shhhhh!

I think it's a baseball hat without the front bill...Too bad it doesn't have a propeller on top of it...then he could fly !! Wings! Red Bull!

shhhhh!

Yes...flew pretty good. Very easy to launch unlike most pylon planes. Easy to land too. Landed right at my feet. Does a nice pylon turn
and holds it well due to the side area of the turtle deck.
23 amps static
350 watts
AUW 21 oz, NTM Prop Drive 28-36-1800kv motor,40 amp esc,6 x4 prop
4s 1000 mah
The maiden flight only drained 250 mah from the 1000mah battery.
Next flight will go with a 6 x 5.5 apc prop. Then the 2200kv motor with the 6 x 5.5 prop and a 4s 1600mah 40c lipo
Enjoy!

Last edited:

shhhhh!

The plane shown in the video is prototype #2 which was built directly from the current plans as designed by Jason and Dave.
Jason and I will be critically evaluating the flight and design of this plane,making any necessary changes to the plans. Then build prototype #3 to validate the accuracy of the plans. Jason will make the decision about releasing /posting plans. Currently, the plane flies great as it is. We want to make sure the plans are 100% accurate. It is actually a fun, fast and easy build.
-dave

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Cool! Will you guys be posting plans for this one?

DamoRC

i have already laser cut 2 of the models and added some of our updates. i have a few little pieces i still need to add but once i do, the plan was to have .pdf and .svg files with the submission to FT. they may not be "final" quality given the short amount of time, but updates will continue and be provided.

so tickled , and relived that it flew, and we are approaching the finally. i hate to use a clique but "i love it when a plan comes together!"

this has been a lot of fun, a lot of learning, a lot of stress, but mostly fun. and in the end no matter what, we built a VERY cool plane!

laters,

me :cool:

Mclags

Holy crap gents! Wish I had found this thread before I got too far into my build. You guys have done some amazing work! I'm still working on the final bits and pieces for my beast, maiden scheduled for this Sunday but it may not happen.....weather looks to be pretty crap. It is winter down here you know.

shhhhh!

Keeping within the spirit of Flite Test planes our Red Bull Vee-Tail racer was built from 2 sheets of Dollar Tree foam board and one sheet of poster board also from Dollar Tree. Our racer airframe cost less then $3.00
-dave

Mclags

Keeping within the spirit of Flite Test planes our Red Bull Vee-Tail racer was built from 2 sheets of Dollar Tree foam board and one sheet of poster board also from Dollar Tree. Our racer airframe cost less then $3.00
-dave
Well done! I'm not even going to add up what mine cost, suffice to say that you could probably set up an international race team for life with yours instead of my one lol

shhhhh!

High speed pass.................over my bed:geek:
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thank you Rasterize! we spent the last few hours finalizing the skins. pretty tickled.

Dave's Red Bull Racer Proof.jpg

i still have a few things to add and finish in inkscape but i see a light at the end of the tunnel. i will get this printed in the morning, i would today but my back and arm hurt so bad i'm having a hard time even focusing to type this. no way i'm leaving the house like this. so, it will have to wait until tomorrow. hopefully, cross fingers, i can have the "glamor" model done tomorrow and ready for pics by friday. maybe ready for flight by the weekend. final editing and submission of acticle by monday.

cross fingers,

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so, in case you don't know this, Red Bull is very notorious for being very protective of their copyright materials. trying to get the graphics printed was not the easiest. most places will not do it, but luckily the UPS store can do 11x17 color copies and you do the work yourself. that way none of their "employees" are violating any copyright. i made two prints (just in case i mess one up) and it cost me $14.

now to work...

laters,

shhhhh!

I also did two copies for $13.86 at Staples. Same procedure, 11 x17 color copies.
Plane should look awesome with the custom wing skins designed by you and Rasterize.
and Yes..it was very difficult to even get the custom graphics for prototype #2.
Many Thanks,
-dave