Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
since we are spilling the beans...

i obviously have been up way to long, and working way to hard, as evidence by the video. my mental capabilities did not match my throttle cut switch ability. :geek:

laters,

me :cool:

Last edited:

Mclags

So impressed, maybe I should have gone with foam board too. It's hard to find down here tho.
Do you guys draw your designs up on a pc first?
What program?
How did you learn to do that?
How do you cut them out?

So many questions!

Feeling like I put a lot of time into mine and kinda missed the brief now dammit.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
since we are spilling the beans...

i obviously have been up way to long, and working way to hard, as evidence by the video. my mental capabilities did not match my throttle cut switch ability. :geek:

laters,

Feel the powa!

What program?
How do you cut them out?

I use sketchup, I know other folks here use inkscape and, more recently, fusion 360. Learned by trial and error and watching many youtube videos.
Once the model is complete, I unfold it to flat panels and then I can export them ultimately to a PDF set of plans

Feeling like I put a lot of time into mine and kinda missed the brief now dammit.

There was no specific brief so you couldn't have missed it - it was wide open for folks to build what they wanted to build and make no mistake, when I saw your article on the Hughes H1 my gut reaction was - "I should have done that one!" (always wanted to do the H1)

The time you put in really shows in the quality of the model you completed - lets just see it in the air ;)

DamoRC

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
So impressed, maybe I should have gone with foam board too. It's hard to find down here tho.

What program?

ours all started as hand drawn. i then took those into inkscape @ scale and traced.

by doing this. 2 months ago i had never touched inkscape. 4 months ago i maybe learned about tinkercad and CAD design. as they say, necessity is the mother of all creation. i didn't know how to do it, so i googled it, youtube'd it, anything i could and just put in the time. i did 6 different designs and prints for this plane. that doesn't count the canopy, control horns, v-tail horns, ....all of which i have never done.

How do you cut them out?

ours all started as hand cut, using $1 store foam. once i was able to convert the hand drawn plans into .svg files, i took it to our local hackerspace and cut it with a Co2 laser.

So many questions!

welcome to the rabbit hole!

when you posted your article the other day, i had the exact same feeling. "man, this guy just rocked it!" regardless, of the final results, the key is we all end up with some really cool planes and we learned. next time will be eve better!

laters,

shhhhh!

Damon..Great video!!!! What brand of paint did you use on your Bull Rider EDF? Did you have to coat the paper with any urethane prior to painting?
Thanks,
-dave

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@DamoRC Great video! I can't wait to see the article.
Damon..Great video!!!! What brand of paint did you use on your Bull Rider EDF? Did you have to coat the paper with any urethane prior to painting?
Thanks,
-dave

Thanks Guys!

@shhhhh! - I use the Rustoleum 2x rattle cans that I get at Home Depot. I don't pre-treat the foam board but try to use multiple light coats to cover before a final heavy coat. One thing I have noticed is that the foamboard is pretty tolerant of the regular colors (such as the yellow on the Bull Rider) so you can be a little heavy handed with them. However the metallic colors (in this case cobalt, but also applies to the chrome and metallic silver that I have used in other planes) seem to eat the foam faster if you don't stick to light coats. Also the coverage is not as good with the metalics (might be better if I primed the foamboard first but who has the time for that!). I used an entire can of the blue on the plane which was crazy. I think I added 2-3 ounces just with the paint!

DamoRC

kilroy07

Legendary member
If you have 15 minutes to waste
That certinally wasn't wasted time!!... Well done man, well done! (Both of you!)

I really like the formers to hold the fuselage while the glue sets....
(Great, now I might take a second look at the GeeBee...) :rolleyes:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, we have had a major bump in the road with our submission and i'm going to be lucky to pick up the pieces in time. cross fingers, but honestly at this point i am worried and completely bummed. :cautious: not sure what else to even say.

laters,

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
well, we have had a major bump in the road with our submission and i'm going to be lucky to pick up the pieces in time. cross fingers, but honestly at this point i am worried and completely bummed. :cautious: not sure what else to even say.

laters,

Shoot! Really sorry to hear that.:( What's the problem? Anything we can do to help ?

DamoRC

Mclags

Bugger!

Ground testing this morning. Had her just hopping nicely, had another go into the wind and the bitch took off lol.
Had to get her down in a hurry and flipped her over into the rudder. That broke but everything else was fine.
All glued up ready to cover tonight or tomorrow.

She will fly on Thursday for sure!
20180807_123634.jpg
20180807_125240.jpg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I mostly finished my plane when I realized that it was very nose heavy. I will try to fix it and get it in the air but if it doesn’t fly I am not going to rebuild a new plane for the competition.

Mclags

I mostly finished my plane when I realized that it was very nose heavy. I will try to fix it and get it in the air but if it doesn’t fly I am not going to rebuild a new plane for the competition.
Better nose heavy than tail heavy. Mine has 125g of lead up front!
I was always told, nose heavy is hard to fly.....tail heavy only flies once.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@Dr. Looping Looie - Brilliant!

At team Bull Rider we are done. The article has been submitted - Yay!

If you have 15 minutes to waste - here is the vid we posted with the article.

DamoRC

Damo!!!! Love it my man! I particularly like how you took us through HOW you got to the final "Bull Rider" plane design. Taking the PAST and bringing it into the FUTURE... not an easy thing to do, but you did it and its fantastic! ;) . Thanks for submitting the article and I look forward to keeping an eye out for all your whacky crazy designs for many years to come! ;)

Also, I have to say I am impressed by ALL of the designs I have seen pop up on here and around the FT building grounds! Keep up the awesome work and make sure to submit articles everybody!

Blessings and Happy Red-Bulling! ;)
Stefan