Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
It "flew"! Check Out the Videos, sorry for bad lighting:
What do you guys say? Move CG a little Forward or increase lift on the tail? Also, no demage on both flight

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
yup, move CG forward. that is what has happened to almost everyone of our various prototypes. moving CG forward definitely helps.

getting closer.

laters,

me :cool:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
yup, move CG forward. that is what has happened to almost everyone of our various prototypes. moving CG forward definitely helps.

getting closer.

laters,

I would agree based on the first second or so in the air. Trying to figure what happened when you cut the power (when it pitched forward and then inverted). Was that just from cutting the power or did you also push hard forward on the elevator stick?

Most importantly - It Flew! (y)

DamoRC

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
that's it, i'm done....feel like the world is just working against me at this point so i am just going to call it done.

went to try and maiden again this morning. got up extra early so i could get to the field, fly, get back home, then get to work all before 7:30am. Made arrangements for others to be out at the filed to take video and pics. So, first thing i notice when i wake up is that the sky is heavy overcast and it appears to maybe be raining. We also seem to have a very strong wind out of the west. to bad i say, i have to fly this airplane. so i load up and head to the field. thankfully the rain has stopped but you can still see lightning in the direction i am headed. Just about then, one of the camera men texts and say, "sorry, i forgot my camera. i have to turn back." My thought was, that's the only reason you were coming out this morning and you forgot it? how does that happen? whatever i say to myself, doing my best not to get wound up at this point. so, i get to the field and do the initial setup, get out the barriers, some chairs, all the usual stuff. Now as the sun is beginning to rise, so are the bugs. of course since i only packed light, i did not bring any bug spray, plus i had to go to work so i did not want to smell like Off all day long. So, by the time my 2 camera men show up, i've pretty much been eaten alive and definitely am not in the greatest mood at this point. once again, whatever i tell myself, just get this done and then you don't have to worry about it any more. So i grab my Tx and the plane and head up to the line. i had set the CG and battery the night before so i knew all of that was good, i just needed to plug in and go fly. I plug the 3S battery into the ESC and get these tiny, weak little beeps. that seems kinda funny, it's normally quite loud. The control surfaces are working so i do a quick check to confirm direction, then flip the throttle cut off to test the motor. sputter, sputter, sputter, is all i can get it to do. Now i'm really not happy, i'm still getting eaten by bugs, and it looks like i have just wasted my time and theirs. i do a quick voltage test just to confirm the battery is good, which it was. I then start digging around the wiring to the esc. low and behold, one of my wires coming out of the motor and broken it's solder joint from all the movement. at that point i just unplugged it, turned off my Tx, said a few choice words to the airplane, then loaded it all back up and came home.

at this point i am not even going to bother to try and get a flight in before the article is due. i just don't have the time, patience, or even interest. really kinda bummed that this is how this is going to come to a close, i know we could have done better. thinking about all the hard work that went into this only to stumble at the end...grrrrr! :mad:

article will be submitted "as is" this evening when i get home form work.

laters,

Mclags

Sorry mate, bummed for you. I'm about to head out to the field right now for my maiden. Its 0610 Thursday morning here.
You got further than a lot of other people and at least you gave it a go. Thousands couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:

Mclags

Well the curse continues.........

We had a heap of rain in the last 2 weeks and what I didn't realise was the the flying field had been flooded by the river next to it.
Most of the field was covered by a thick silty mud. We had trouble even getting out to it. My wife lost both shoes at one point.
We found an area that was solid enough to have a go.
Now a few things to note, I had a heap of trouble getting the tail wheel secure enough and ended up removing it in favour of a skid.
I have also been flying my Tundra a lot recently.
So I took a deep breath and started my roll, full right rudder and ele to keep the tail down. Not 100% sure if I held the ele too long or just panicked and took off because it was heading for a fence but either way it looks like I didn't have the airspeed needed.
She flopped about, I got her over the first fence then put her down hard before she went into the river.
Broke the prop which was the only 12x10 in the country, bent one gear leg and broke that rudder tip again.
So that's me out for successful flight footage for my entry.........gutted.
I'll go about repairs and get another prop ordered but that will be at least another week away.

I'll upload footage tomorrow
received_200857697449957.jpeg
received_2179566725645130.jpeg
received_324468844791332.jpeg

Last edited:

Mclags

Just found a prop and ordered it, if it gets here tomorrow and the weather holds I might have another go

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
wouldn't you figure, we have 50% chance of rain the next 2 days. i thought i lived in the desert? :LOL:

anyways, no need to worry. i'm just done. we were able to meet almost all of our original goals, it would have been nice to have video of the "glamor" model but whatever. i finished and submitted the article this morning before i went to work, so it will hopefully be posted soon.

@Mclags - good on you for the effort. that is some dedication sir, hat's off to you and your wife. seems we are both suffering from the same sickness. ;)

laters,

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I was going to finish my plane when my transmitter throttle cut switch broke and fell into the transmitter, jamming the elevator. Horizon hobby doesn’t sell replacement switches, so my dad and I will just have to send the transmitter to horizon to get it fixed.😔

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I was going to finish my plane when my transmitter throttle cut switch broke and fell into the transmitter, jamming the elevator. Horizon hobby doesn’t sell replacement switches, so my dad and I will just have to send the transmitter to horizon to get it fixed.😔

Aaaaagh - the curse of the red bull strikes again!

DamoRC