Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

MikeRobey

My cheapest quote is from a company called Pack and Send. They were hundreds of dollars cheaper than the others. Their quote came to $535 Australian dollars which is a tad under $400 US dollars. The next cheapest quote was a bit over $700 Australian dollars.

JTarmstr

Elite member
My cheapest quote is from a company called Pack and Send. They were hundreds of dollars cheaper than the others. Their quote came to $535 Australian dollars which is a tad under $400 US dollars. The next cheapest quote was a bit over $700 Australian dollars.

I am just curious, how does it cost that much? Is inter-ocean mailing that much? or is it the best way to make sure no damage to the airframe.

Mclags

I am just curious, how does it cost that much? Is inter-ocean mailing that much? or is it the best way to make sure no damage to the airframe.
Yeah, they don't use actual weight to get their price. They use volumetric weight. My box weighs about 7kg, but due to the size they are charging me at 35kg. If it was heavier than that they would charge by the actual weight. My quote from FedEx was a whopping $2100nzd ($1400usd). Down here in New Zealand we're used to it, we have to pay shipping on everything! Don't even get me started on getting bloody lipos into the country!!!

MikeRobey

Yeah, they don't use actual weight to get their price. They use volumetric weight. My box weighs about 7kg, but due to the size they are charging me at 35kg. If it was heavier than that they would charge by the actual weight. My quote from FedEx was a whopping $2100nzd ($1400usd). Down here in New Zealand we're used to it, we have to pay shipping on everything! Don't even get me started on getting bloody lipos into the country!!!
What he said! Shipping is a pain when you live on the other side of the planet..

JTarmstr

Elite member

Thats rough, I live in the central US so I am used to rates a bit lower, I didnt think it would be that much there though.

Mclags

Hey guys, just thought I'd share how I packed my plane up. Its hard to get em to stay put.
I cut a series of stackable foam blocks that sit in guide rails on each side of the box. They are cut around the wings and fuse to lock it in. Added a bit of soft material to protect paint, decals and film from any rubbing during transit.
Just thought that this might help anyone who might be struggling to suss it out.
20180825_094336.jpg
20180825_094352.jpg
15351474412401819421055.jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Early next week

Cool! I am hoping to get mine out late next week as well but its looking like I am going to have to ship her with the wing installed. Being doing the UPS estimates online and its about $180 to ship in a package where the wing is separate versus $220 to ship intact. I can't figure a way to install the wing temporarily for a maiden that won't simply rip the fuse in two either in the air or on landing and given the Red Bull curse, anything could (and probably will) happen.

DamoRC

MikeRobey

Stefan works really late! I got an email around midnight his time telling me to go ahead and send so the Retro Racer is on its way. Here's hoping it makes it in one piece.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Same here. Hoping to maiden tomorrow, then paint, decals, build a box and ship on the weekend. Fingers crossed that I have already paid my dues to the Red Bull Challenge Curse.

DamoRC

MikeRobey

Same here. Hoping to maiden tomorrow, then paint, decals, build a box and ship on the weekend. Fingers crossed that I have already paid my dues to the Red Bull Challenge Curse.

DamoRC
I will think positive thoughts all day tomorrow to keep the curse at bay. Best of luck with your maiden.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I will think positive thoughts all day tomorrow to keep the curse at bay. Best of luck with your maiden.

Thanks, but not positive enough Mike - the Curse lives on!

Basically uncontrollable (ish) on maiden, fought her around one circuit and then needed to get her down, fast (yep one of those). Superficial damage that can be fixed before paint but she is not going to be a flying model. Pinged Stefan to let him know I am pulling the electronics but not the EDFs (cos they look cool) - at best she'll be pretty to look at, while she sits there......still.......as in not flying.

Oh well - when I get over this failure I am definitely coming back to this design, just not anytime soon.

DamoRC