Red Tail Hawk attack in HD

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I like the shots where you see it looking right into the camera that is some great footage for sure. I can however see why the bird attacked. That planes profile with the slightly forward swept wing looks very similar to what predatory bids look like just before and during the early stages of an attack dive. Add into that the acrobatic maneuvers you were doing that close to it just before it did attack I am 100% sure it perceived you as a threat.

Just like my quads look like wounded birds after I do a power loop into a dive then fly low with random direction changes. Them hawks are like

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Don't worry.. my summer may be more interesting yet. Last year I counted 7 hawks hunting pack style over my flying fields. Three days ago a HUGE eagle flew over the field from the far tree line. About 30 minutes later it returned with a 6- 8 foot snake hanging from its talons. Yesterday I counted five hawks up already and the chicks have yet to fledge if I am correct. They may not even have hatched yet since its been such a late start to spring. Oh yeah and one poor woodchuck that has made the bad decision to dig a burrow dead smack in the middle of that field out in plain view of all them predatory birds.

Oh and this was from the end of flying season last year.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
WEEE!!! We saw the Eagle this evening when returning from a shopping trip and managed to get some pictures on my friends cell phone. what a big beautiful bird this is.
PsyBorg's nemesis.jpg

kulens

red tail hawk snatching glider hatch in HD first person view :)

Brilliant! Maybe not for your plane, but nice to watch. This is a young redtail hawk (hasn't got the red tail yet) seeming to claim its (new) territory. I'm training, flying (hunting with) and breading redtail hawks. They can be very brave and some say there attitude is more as an eagle than as a buzzard.

We've also designed rc-planes that look like prey birds to train our falcons and hawks:

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_2006.jpg

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Wow. I'm not sure who learns more - the birds how to catch their prey or you trying to evade them :)

kulens

Wow. I'm not sure who learns more - the birds how to catch their prey or you trying to evade them :)

Correct, it's not only a learning lessons for the falcon, but also as an RC-pilot, you learn a lot! :) We've had flights (measured with gps tracking device) as high as 480 meters and speeds up to 200km/h with a falcon behind your tail. That's when you learn to fly "the thing"! :)

glideher

wow love all these shots, thinking of mounting 4 different cams next time to capture these raptors in different angles...
love these, please post more :)