Registering my planes?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Hi!

I'm just wondering if I am suppose to be registering my planes with the FAA? Especially the bushwacker I am building since it is so big?

I don't want to be breaking any laws!:eek:

Thank you.
-Jeremy

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yes, you must register your planes if it's over 250 grams.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/

Use the site above, and READ CAREFULLY. There is one that says that you must pay $5 per aircraft - which ONLY applies if you are a commercial pilot (i.e., you are using a plane, helicopter, drone, sailplane, etc. that is over 8.8 oz. but under 55 lbs.) using it for commercial purposes (this would be things like aerial mapping, aerial photography for real estate, etc.

If you are flying as a HOBBY, then you only have to pay $5 and it covers you for any aircraft you may have; however, it must be placed externally on the aircraft (which has a lot of scale people pissed off, because it detracts from the detail work that they put in).

All of this is subject to change, but for right now, these are the rules that you must go through.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I just read the rules and was filling out the forum to register my plane. But then I saw this:
Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 9.01.40 PM.png

The last thing on the list says that I have the pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. Is it necessary for me to take that test to be able the fly?

Thanks.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Formerly section 336 on the FAA website reads:

UAS Flown by Recreational Fliers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336)

If you are flying for hobby or recreation only, you must:

1. Register as a "modeler"
  2. Label your model aircraft with your registration number

In order to register, you must be:

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the model aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*

In order to register, you'll need:

• Email address
  • Credit or debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)

Register online (must weigh less than 55 pounds).

Register an unmanned aircraft by paper.

* Visiting foreign nationals must register their drone or UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership). Read more about Information for Foreign UAS Operators in the United States.

Is the screenshot you sent from the FAA website? ( faa.gov )

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I just read the rules and was filling out the forum to register my plane. But then I saw this:
View attachment 134774

The last thing on the list says that I have the pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. Is it necessary for me to take that test to be able the fly?

Thanks.

At this time, there is no official test for us to take. If you read up on the AMA safety guidelines and understand them, that's pretty much the rules. It doesn't look like you're at the FAA's website if you're reading that. Try using the link I posted to go register:

there's several websites that LOOK like they're legitimate, but aren't really registering you with the FAA - they'll be a site that will register FOR you and charge you more to do it. A few of the guys in my club got taken in with one of these fake FAA sites, and I REALLY would hate for anyone here to get suckered.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
At this time, there is no official test for us to take. If you read up on the AMA safety guidelines and understand them, that's pretty much the rules. It doesn't look like you're at the FAA's website if you're reading that. Try using the link I posted to go register:

there's several websites that LOOK like they're legitimate, but aren't really registering you with the FAA - they'll be a site that will register FOR you and charge you more to do it. A few of the guys in my club got taken in with one of these fake FAA sites, and I REALLY would hate for anyone here to get suckered.

When I click on "Register Online" in the UAS Flown by Recreational Fliers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336) Section, it goes to that website.

JTarmstr

Elite member
When I click on "Register Online" in the UAS Flown by Recreational Fliers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336) Section, it goes to that website.

I think I figured it out. The FAA is planning to add a new knowledge test for registration under (formerly) section 336. So thats probably a list of requirements in the future. right now there is no knowledge test as far as I know.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I personally find this all quite infuriating, especially the line of sight nonsense. Its all been driven by ignorance and fear. A big part of that fear comes from when OUR government started using drones for spying, and then for killing... but that's another story.

They are trying to get this sorted out. There are a lot of voices out there pulling the course of this ship in many directions. We hope the winds blow in our favor.

As of right now the FAA is not actively seeking people to prosecute, even people posting dumb stuff on YouTube have been mostly spared thus far. That being said, the FAA will is required to investigate if a complaint is filed with them. My $0.02 is, if you only plan to fly your model on your property, or something like a friend/neighbors pasture, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the government involved in $3.00 worth of foam board until they have a decent system set up that isn't changing every time you try to go fly. It appears they are trying to make things a bit simpler right now for the true "hobbyist" and it sounds like they will have something sorted out within the year. It looks like it may involve a basic knowledge test of some kind but there isn't an official one available as of right now so you don't have to worry about that yet.

I'm waiting a bit longer to see where all of this ends up myself. They are clearly making a distinction for commercial operations much like they do for actual pilots. Since I technically use my drone in furtherance of a business (even though i don't directly get money checking cows) I do plan to get 107 eventually. Until then I've pretty well stopped using my drone everywhere except on my own place. (I have used it to help neighbors find cows in the hills in the past among other things) and virtually everything else I'm flying right now is under 250 grams!

While I don't have a lot of love for any government, the FAA is nothing to be afraid of. Actually, I've heard more horror stories about park rangers than I ever have about the FAA. You can get big fines for breaking federal park rules and that has nothing to do with the FAA...

here's a good one...

And here's a 107 pilot that's had several dealings with the FAA that I know of, this ones kind of funny...

Kobur

View attachment 134774

Thanks.
Section 336 was repealed and replaced by 49 USC 44809.
(USC stands for United States Code). Another post mentions this, but quotes information about registration.

I quote the entire text of 49 USC 44809 below.

Pay close attention to subsection (e) for your registration question and subsections (a)(7) and (g) about the knowledge test.

[Edited for more accuracy about the knowledge test]There IS a currently available test for part 107. If you click on the Become a Drone Pilot link on any of the FAA pages fro hobbyists, it will put you on a page that has the link to it. For that reason I believe this may be used, but nothing officially says that. I have not taken the part 107 test myself, but have taken the online training and practice tests available from faa.gov. The actual test must be given at one of the actual locations where other aviation licensing tests are given. Information on locations is available on faa.gov.

§44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft
(a) In General.-Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

(b) Other Operations.-Unmanned aircraft operations that do not conform to the limitations in subsection (a) must comply with all statutes and regulations generally applicable to unmanned aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems.

(c) Operations at Fixed Sites.-

(1) Operating procedure required.-Persons operating unmanned aircraft under subsection (a) from a fixed site within Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, or a community-based organization conducting a sanctioned event within such airspace, shall make the location of the fixed site known to the Administrator and shall establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the air traffic control facility.

(2) Unmanned aircraft weighing more than 55 pounds.-A person may operate an unmanned aircraft weighing more than 55 pounds, including the weight of anything attached to or carried by the aircraft, under subsection (a) if-

(A) the unmanned aircraft complies with standards and limitations developed by a community-based organization and approved by the Administrator; and

(B) the aircraft is operated from a fixed site as described in paragraph (1).

(d) Updates.-

(1) In general.-The Administrator, in consultation with government, stakeholders, and community-based organizations, shall initiate a process to periodically update the operational parameters under subsection (a), as appropriate.

(2) Considerations.-In updating an operational parameter under paragraph (1), the Administrator shall consider-

(A) appropriate operational limitations to mitigate risks to aviation safety and national security, including risk to the uninvolved public and critical infrastructure;

(B) operations outside the membership, guidelines, and programming of a community-based organization;

(C) physical characteristics, technical standards, and classes of aircraft operating under this section;

(D) trends in use, enforcement, or incidents involving unmanned aircraft systems;

(E) ensuring, to the greatest extent practicable, that updates to the operational parameters correspond to, and leverage, advances in technology; and

(F) equipage requirements that facilitate safe, efficient, and secure operations and further integrate all unmanned aircraft into the national airspace system.

(3) Savings clause.-Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as expanding the authority of the Administrator to require a person operating an unmanned aircraft under this section to seek permissive authority of the Administrator, beyond that required in subsection (a) of this section, prior to operation in the national airspace system.

(e) Statutory Construction.-Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue an enforcement action against a person operating any unmanned aircraft who endangers the safety of the national airspace system.

(f) Exceptions.-Nothing in this section prohibits the Administrator from promulgating rules generally applicable to unmanned aircraft, including those unmanned aircraft eligible for the exception set forth in this section, relating to-

(1) updates to the operational parameters for unmanned aircraft in subsection (a);

(2) the registration and marking of unmanned aircraft;

(3) the standards for remotely identifying owners and operators of unmanned aircraft systems and associated unmanned aircraft; and

(4) other standards consistent with maintaining the safety and security of the national airspace system.

(g) Aeronautical Knowledge and Safety Test.-

(1) In general.-Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this section, the Administrator, in consultation with manufacturers of unmanned aircraft systems, other industry stakeholders, and community-based organizations, shall develop an aeronautical knowledge and safety test, which can then be administered electronically by the Administrator, a community-based organization, or a person designated by the Administrator.

(2) Requirements.-The Administrator shall ensure the aeronautical knowledge and safety test is designed to adequately demonstrate an operator's-

(A) understanding of aeronautical safety knowledge; and

(B) knowledge of Federal Aviation Administration regulations and requirements pertaining to the operation of an unmanned aircraft system in the national airspace system.

(h) Community-based Organization Defined.-In this section, the term "community-based organization" means a membership-based association entity that-

(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

(2) is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

(3) the mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation;

(4) provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and the protection and safety of individuals and property on the ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of sight of the operator;

(5) provides programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and

(6) provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites.

(i) Recognition of Community-based Organizations.-In collaboration with aeromodelling stakeholders, the Administrator shall publish an advisory circular within 180 days of the date of enactment of this section that identifies the criteria and process required for recognition of community-based organizations.

(Added Pub. L. 115–254, div. B, title III, §349(a), Oct. 5, 2018, 132 Stat. 3298 .)

The above quote was downloaded on June 29, 2019 at 12:38 p.m. CDT at the link below:
49 USC 44809

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
" I have not taken the test myself..."

Good info about the test,

I have not taken the test myself, and I doubt that the other 99.9% of the hobby has yet either! lol So my point was that, not to recommend breaking rules, but this is all so new and has been changing so frequently and rapidly that I suspect MOST people watching flitetest and flying foam board planes aren't operating within the new rules... do with that info whatever you feel is appropriate! ;)

Last edited: