Reinforcing Foam wings

chipnkim

I was watching Flitetest and the guys siad something about goop on the wings. what is it? and is there any other things that can help strengthen my plane. Oh and how can I tell what glue is foam safe? Thanks

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Or on a piece of scrap foam.

Goop is a type of glue.

There are lots of ways to strengthen a foam plane.

carbon fibre, tape, glues, and they even use a fiber glass cloth and water based polyurethane as the resin.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Clear packing tape is amazing stuff for foam models. I use 2" wide clear packing tape to do my HZ cub wing mods. I straighten the wing using tape only in the middle to take the dihedral out then tape both sides 2-3 widths. Afterwards it's a rigid and straight as I could want. Even after repeated crashes it doesn't deform or try to bend back to it's original shape. It also holds up to high g maneuvers better and I don't have to use the struts.
I'm not familiar with the goop you asked about. I use only foam safe CA. It should say right on the bottle if it's foam safe. If it doesn't I keep on looking for one that does.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
So what Goop basically does is a glue that dries on the surface and when you have two surfaces with that glue for a few minutes standing so only the surface feel dry and then you push them together it they bond quite solid! But the advantage of it is that it stays flexible! So what they did is just applying very little goop and leave it to dry very long (over night) so it doesn´t wanna bond with anything anymore and because it is so flexible it doesn´t break off so easy like CA does (because CA gets solid as rock)

An alternative is Uhu Por

mchldpy

about goop

goop and shoo goo (several flavors of both) and the silver tube with "6000" as the name, are all the same stuff. very obnoxious smelling and heavier than quik grip, welders or uhu por (as stated earlier) uhu por would be my choice because it's specific gravity (i think) is less than goop's is and imo it's the rubberiest of the bunch. ymmv. cheapest place for goop afaik is wal mart. i've only found uhu por online por (pun intended) $7.95 and up.
i just realized this thread is a couple of months old so, no one may care.

michael clyde

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
goop and shoo goo (several flavors of both) and the silver tube with "6000" as the name, are all the same stuff. very obnoxious smelling and heavier than quik grip, welders or uhu por (as stated earlier) uhu por would be my choice because it's specific gravity (i think) is less than goop's is and imo it's the rubberiest of the bunch. ymmv. cheapest place for goop afaik is wal mart. i've only found uhu por online por (pun intended) $7.95 and up.
i just realized this thread is a couple of months old so, no one may care.

michael clyde

We care, so you're saying that UHU por has the same effect as Goop? Then I'm interested!

teflyer

Full Circle
If it dont say foam safe anywhere on the bottle it isnt in my experience

Also, if the glue mentions that it contains acetone such as in regular superglue, it probably will melt the foam, especially depron-like foam, such as elmer's foamboard and Dollar Tree foamboard, and, I believe, blu cor foam.

Tom O'Connell

Bixler FPV Mods Fantastic
you dont just have to use goop. i would say use goop and packing tape. practically weightless and will hold things together in a crash. Even if it does break quite badly, the walk of shame wont be too bad if you have less to hold ;)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
you dont just have to use goop. i would say use goop and packing tape. practically weightless and will hold things together in a crash. Even if it does break quite badly, the walk of shame wont be too bad if you have less to hold ;)

Of course. If the plane is covered in tape for example, it won't "explode" into a million pieces.

Tom O'Connell

Bixler FPV Mods Fantastic
there it is. My bixler went wing first into a fence and had only some electrical tape on the leading edges and it is perfectly fine, not even a ding!