Repair or Replace? Parkzone P-51D with AS3X

lanes

Hello,

A few month ago, I crashed my Parkzone P-51D w/ AS3X and I am just getting around to repairing it. I found that my motor shaft is bend so I plan on replacing that, and my fuselage took a bit of a beating. The front is near destroyed but everything else including the electronics are functional. My only concern is me screwing up the process of removing and reinstalling the fuselage seeing how that is the main part of the plane. I am yet to find any guides on how I would go about doing this. I watched the check your C.R.A.P. video, and that was very helpful when it came to me assessing the damage.

IMG_0014.JPG

So the question is: Do I repair or replace this plane?

Thanks!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I would try repairing it first, it's got to be quite a bit cheaper that way. Plus, you get to learn a whole bunch, which is always a bonus :)

lanes

I would try repairing it first, it's got to be quite a bit cheaper that way. Plus, you get to learn a whole bunch, which is always a bonus :)

Would you or I be able to say that the parts inside are durable? Also, how am I going to go about removing, and reinstalling the wings, rudder, motor, and other electronics?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I have no experience with that plane, but had a similar crash with my beaver. All of the components came out pretty easily and went back fine. As to durability... It is what it is... Made in China ;)

lanes

I have no experience with that plane, but had a similar crash with my beaver. All of the components came out pretty easily and went back fine. As to durability... It is what it is... Made in China ;)

Ah, I see. Well thanks for the heads up. This will be the first repair I have ever done with a plane. I tend to fly drones a lot more than planes. Before this one I had a trainer that only suffered from broken landing gear or a broken prop, but never something like this. Hopefully everything goes well.

Thanks!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think as you found most of the damage tends to occur on the front / motor. I've successfully fixed damage like that using Gorilla Glue (expanding polyurethane glue). If you use the white gorilla glue, it sets pretty quickly (within a minute or two) and dries white. It also expands/foams, so it's good for filling in gaps. I like to use blue painters tape on the outside seam to keep the the expanding glue from foaming all to the outside/externally visible parts.

If you need to cut into foam, make cuts as straight as possible. I'm not familiar with that plane, but all those horizon hobby planes are hobby grade and are made to be serviceable. Look at the website for the parts and see how things get put together. Call customer service and they'll help you through it.

Good luck!