Repairing a Foam Plane

cpmboy

Everybody crashes. Now let's learn how to get things put back together. In this episode, Josh and Josh guide you through assessing the damage and repairing an EPP plane.

see_article.png
Hi there guys,
well, no crash here though but one day, Garfield came to our house and gave my Bixler a one two punch (scratch) on the wings and canopy. Any idea/method how to repair this?...thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Awwwww MAAANNN! That looks ugly! It can be fixed, but it won't look nice...

If the scratches are not so deep, you could get away with gluing a piece of stiffer paper over the edges of the scratched area and covering it with tape. It will fly like this, as long as the wing retains it's profile. But if the scratches go too deep, you might have to use some foam filler or something to replace the missing foam.

Remember to balance your plane along the roll axis after you fix it, so that both wings weigh alike.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
As I also have Garfields in my abode, one of whom is swatting at the key board, my recommendation is to immerse the damaged sections in water that is just below boiling, and rub the damaged area with a wooden spoon to help the foam settle back into shape. the spoon also will get rid of the "gator skin" bubbling of the foam.
Then, wrap the wings in regular clear packing tape to cover any damage that didn't settle down.
The tape will not only cover the damage, but it will also improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the wing.
It also makes it airsoft proof!(Don't ask how I know):p

cpmboy

Awwwww MAAANNN! That looks ugly! It can be fixed, but it won't look nice...

If the scratches are not so deep, you could get away with gluing a piece of stiffer paper over the edges of the scratched area and covering it with tape. It will fly like this, as long as the wing retains it's profile. But if the scratches go too deep, you might have to use some foam filler or something to replace the missing foam.

Remember to balance your plane along the roll axis after you fix it, so that both wings weigh alike.
I've heard of this foam filler but dont know which one?.......