Replacement for my Bixler...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
To cut a long story very short, I sold my Bixler. After doing a bit of thermal gliding and slope soaring with it, I'm feeling the hole in my fleet and thinking about potential replacements. I'm limited to around $100 delivered and ready to go/put together. I've been tossing up between an ASW28, which needs either 2s batteries or a new ESC to run on 3s, or an E-Fair, for which I have a motor, and the servos, ESC, and connectors (my stocks are running low).

Both seem to have a similar range of different drawbacks, while the E-Fair comes out slightly cheaper.

What do people think? Or should I just get another Bixler (which is a superb allrounder)?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, the ASW is out. It's between a new Bixler or an E-fair. The Bixler performs really well as a glider, and can house the FPV gear I've got but probably won't use for a while until I get a screen solution sorted. I'm assuming the E-fair will be a superb glider - they've been around a little while from other retailers. I doubt I'll be able to load it up with FPV gear though. Very hard decision!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'd say go for the Bixler. It's much more multi-funtional than just a glider. Besides, the balsa glider will take you around a week to fix from a bad crash.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
I'm starting to feel like an old fuddy duddy, but balsa isn't that bad!

I'm showing my hobby age here but I've run both a Multiplex Easy Star (looks like a Bix, but was around much earlier) and a TT Whisper 1400 (looks like an E-Fair, along with all the other 1.5mish RE gliders of the time). Both on the same power plant, both at the same wingspan.

Guess what, in terms of thermalling performance the balsa was far superior! The airframe was less draggy, the weight was more appropriate and it was far more responsive.

The Easy Star I sold on, the Whisper died when an elevator servo fried mid flight and caused the plane to nose into the hill. Yes the Whisper had some repairs (I taught myself to fly RC with it), but balsa isn't as scary a medium to work with than you might think.

Each has his own opinion, and that's ok (no offence intended to colorex or any foam fan). I just want to encourage people to not immediately write-off balsa.

G

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I'm not put off by balsa at all. I'm fairly confident in my ability to not crash (although there are, of course, unexpected mechanical failures like glydr's). AUW the E-Fair is about the same as the Bixler but has more wing and a folding prop. But the Bixler has the advantage in the versatility (FPV, trainer) stakes.

I've ordered all the spare parts I need (connectors, servos, ESCs, rx) separately, but still have the option of getting either. I'm leaning toward the Bixler though

glydr

I'm considering the same, only because I have a half built balsa glider and want a glider in the meantime which can carry a gopro.

Why is the asw out?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm going for a zero budget impact game, and the ASW puts it about $15-20 (with either a couple of 2s batteries or a new speedy) above budget.

I find it very hard to split the E-fair and the Bixler. The E-fair is slightly cheaper, but I need to get a folding prop (around $8), salvage a motor from another plane and it'd be harder to mount FPV gear on. The Bixler is a complete package (I've already got an ESC on the way) and is a perfect FPV platform.

glydr

Comparison table

Glider From Span Weight Loading Price Notes
Radian MF etc 2m 830g Low $180 + post ARF $200 = free delivery from MF
Radian Pro MF, ND 2m 980g $310 at ND Probably not worth it
MPX EG Pro ND 1.4m 650g $79 kit ~10% higher wing loading than Radian

Bixler HK 1.4m 650g $60ish landed ARF ~10% higher wing loading than Radian
E-Fair HK 1.4m 545g ~23-25 $70ish landed kit
Canary HK 1.2m 230+ $60ish landed kit Modification to e-power
Phoenix 2000 R2H 2m 980g >35 $81 + post for kit http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcpl2401001

Raptor-Glider R2H 2m 800g 25-35 $216 + post for kit http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcpl2001005

Passer X Thermo R2H 1.8m 500g 18 $120 + post kit http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcpl71015_p_code

VGA Advance T R2H 2m ? ? $81 + post kit http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcpl3901001_code

glydr

As you can see from the above table I'm investigating a floater myself (despite having a couple on build). The bix looks a good option.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Sums on a delivered Bixler:
US $67.23 from Aus warehouse (backorder)
US $74.59 from international (in stock)

glydr

Excess stock, new stuff coming. No particular details but I reckon it would be 10% or so on kits. Hoping to poke in for a look.

UndCon

UndCon
I have both...The ASW28 is a glider with motor to get you up to altitude and buzzing the field. No vertical performance with stock (mine does not start with a 3S LIPO so only 2S...)

I replaced the propeller with a folding 9*6 graupner cam.
Plenty fun but I wouldn't use it for FPV or GoPro

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thanks Undcon. I've heard that the stock motor runs OK on 3s if you replace the ESC. I've been suckered in to getting a Hawk 1500 kit. My first LHS purchase (most of the time I just laugh at the prices). It's a beautiful kit, which includes a motor and folding prop. I looked at the easyglider and laughed. It must look really nice in the air, 'cos it's not got much going for it on the ground. For $99 bucks the Hawk is not too bad. I am thinking that just $20 more could get me a Minimoa though...

I'm going to have to pinch servos from other planes until my package arrives from HK. Glydr is going to get one this arvo (if it's still there) so we'll have an assembly afternoon and hopefully a fly after. I've got the magenta one, he's getting the yellow.

I must say the wings feel fragile but the fuse is solid as a rock. I think it'll be a pretty good performer with the 10x6 prop and 3s powered motor.

glydr

Ahh - didn't get one. Just _wanted_ to get one. But it was an epic build session this afternoon (I explain it to Mrs Glydr as a craft session, that way she understands!).

Lovely glider, looks great and promises to be a very good cross between warmliner and thermal soarer.