Replacing Old Lead-Acid/Pb Battery

natodemon

Hi all,
I would first like to say that I understand that this question may be a bit off topic for a forum mainly based on fixed-wing and multirotor RC vehicles, but I thought that some of you veteran RC'ers out there might know what I can do.

I found an old, most likely 1/16th scale RC car after moving house, I remember it working really well many years ago, but it's 12v valve regulated lead acid battery didn't take well to four years in storage and as far as I can tell is completely dead.

My question is, can I replace this battery with a 3s LiPo or 10s NiMH? Or are the ESCs not able to handle newer batteries?
It is a 4x4 powered by 2 brushed motors if that is any help.

Thank you for any information as it will help greatly
Natodemon

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
You can of course replace the batteries!

However if going to LiPo please change the ESC to one with an appropriate LVC

natodemon

Thanks for the reply, I'll do a bit more digging later on, but is there any type of battery that would serve as a drop in replacement for the Lead-Acid? Because as far as I can tell it is a RTR with the ESCs, controller and Rx all in one board.

Thanks
Natodemon

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
You can go with a 3s lipo, just be aware that there is no low-voltage cutoff, you if you just keep driving your car won't tell you you're destroying your battery. Worst thing that can happen is that you drain it too far and have to get a new one.

Note that most car batteries have a hard case. This is done because there can be dirt buildup in the car, and little stones can puncture the battery. I have a 1/10th scale car and drive it on dirt, so trust me I know ;)

The safer way (both LVC and puncture-wise) is to go NiMH, but most of those batteries are 7.2V. So maybe you'll have to get clever and build/solder loose cells. Up to you :)

natodemon

Thanks for the advice, I've been looking into building a multirotor for a while so I've come across LiPo low voltage alarms while searching for recommended parts, would this suffice in stopping me from destroying my battery?

The battery would go in a compartment that appears to be covered most of the way around, but may need some reinforcing on the door; but I'll see if there are any cased batteries that would fit.

Thanks again for the info :)

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Thanks for the advice, I've been looking into building a multirotor for a while so I've come across LiPo low voltage alarms while searching for recommended parts, would this suffice in stopping me from destroying my battery?

Only if you actually stop driving when the alarm goes :rolleyes:

natodemon

Hahaha, Ok you got me :)
I've had a look at creating your own NiMH pack and it doesn't look too hard, so I may end up going that way.