Reprise FTGGNEAL now that you own a real Golf Coarse

Timgschmitt

Please reprise the Flight Test Glider Golf episode with some update for longer range drives with your new Golf Coarse.

Maybe an FTV long rang lawn dart approach with other than gliders. You already have the holes set up.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
First off, let me start by saying I'd LOVE to do this, particularly with a modern Hand Launched Glider . . .

That being said, with the exception of the holes where the green is obscured from the tees (Edgewater has a few, but doesn't look to be that many) none of these holes are outside of range of a modern hand launched glider. Heck, most of the glide tests (you know, the easy overhand toss at flying speed) I run on any of my DLGs will go half the distance to most of the holes. A proper throw could hit the greens of any of the holes in dead air . . . assuming the pilot could see them.

Playing an 18 on a round of golf would make you a Golfing God (or a gullible communist dictator of an isolated regime). For Glider Golf, with the typical course ranges, all it would take is good equipment, a clear view, good depth perception and a good day of throwing. Favorable winds would help, but starting the run an hour before dusk would give you all the dead air you'd need.

BTW, have I mentioned How I'd love to do this?!? In a typical glider contest "Landing out" of the pilot box is a HEAUGE no-no and in the latest rules earns a zero score for the flight. In this contest, you're targeting the green instead, navigating around obstacles at a distance . . . an interesting stretch of piloting skills :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
First off, let me start by saying I'd LOVE to do this, particularly with a modern Hand Launched Glider . . .

That being said, with the exception of the holes where the green is obscured from the tees (Edgewater has a few, but doesn't look to be that many) none of these holes are outside of range of a modern hand launched glider. Heck, most of the glide tests (you know, the easy overhand toss at flying speed) I run on any of my DLGs will go half the distance to most of the holes. A proper throw could hit the greens of any of the holes in dead air . . . assuming the pilot could see them.

Playing an 18 on a round of golf would make you a Golfing God (or a gullible communist dictator of an isolated regime). For Glider Golf, with the typical course ranges, all it would take is good equipment, a clear view, good depth perception and a good day of throwing. Favorable winds would help, but starting the run an hour before dusk would give you all the dead air you'd need.

BTW, have I mentioned How I'd love to do this?!? In a typical glider contest "Landing out" of the pilot box is a HEAUGE no-no and in the latest rules earns a zero score for the flight. In this contest, you're targeting the green instead, navigating around obstacles at a distance . . . an interesting stretch of piloting skills :)

Hehe. With your fancy technology handicapping will take on a whole new dimension!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Maybe throw the gliders from under a multirotor or plane from the other side of the course to make stuff more interesting. Air launch is always more interesting!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Golf requires a foursome to get the good reservations at clubs. Two tossers and two pilots outta do the trick per team. The draw back is golf requires maths and we DON'T DO MATHS on week ends!! :rolleyes:

The quad golf sounds interesting hehe. Some kind of ball sling under the quad. You pop up and do a back flip to "drive". Quick launch and split S over the hole to get your drop until you are on the green. Then a Gremlin with a push bar to putt.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Golf requires a foursome to get the good reservations at clubs. Two tossers and two pilots outta do the trick per team. The draw back is golf requires maths and we DON'T DO MATHS on week ends!! :rolleyes:

The quad golf sounds interesting hehe. Some kind of ball sling under the quad. You pop up and do a back flip to "drive". Quick launch and split S over the hole to get your drop until you are on the green. Then a Gremlin with a push bar to putt.