Republic RC-3 Seabee build

leaded50

Legendary member
rudder to water - rudder (or could mount steeringwheel)

rudder rod is going through a stiff plastictube through the fuselage glued watertight.

Attachments

• DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
The floats are made of the foam inside sandwich construction of semitruck freeze/cool boxes. Easy to shape, and floats. Covered in 2k epoxy.
The rods holding floats are steelrods (bicycle spokes) shaped to fit correctly and with a steady base, on supported wood paintstick inside wing.
Covered in strip of cardboard to make a wider shape. The other supporters are just a bbq scewer, also covered with cardboard strip

Attachments

• DSC_0200.JPG
    DSC_0200.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
The hatch :

the lock:

Attachments

• DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
front of hatch grips in front of fuselage, and a small edge there. They are both parts covered with a thin layer of 2k epoxy to be sturdy.

Total weight of the plane, with retract and a 3s 2200mAh battery is 730g

Attachments

• DSC_0203.JPG
    DSC_0203.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 0

Rhaps

Elite member
front of hatch grips in front of fuselage, and a small edge there. They are both parts covered with a thin layer of 2k epoxy to be sturdy.

Total weight of the plane, with retract and a 3s 2200mAh battery is 730g

What kind of prop are you going to use?
I got vested interest on this because my J2F Duck build is about same sze and weight and also the float limits the prop size.
I actually tested my prop/engine combo (8x4-3 blade. old B-pack motor) on Stick.
With heavy floats the weight was about the same
1592063151285.png
It was woefully underpowered and didn't want to fly at all (once I took floats off theer were no problems with flying)

So at the moment I'm slightly worried if Duck is limited to walking at swimming but if your Bee can fly then there is hope for my Duck too.

leaded50

Legendary member
What kind of prop are you going to use?

I had a 2212 motor laying around (of the cheapy Asian) well, the esc follow the motor took fire in air, and i needed take a fast "dive" to ground... some damages, but fixed now. im using a 8x4 APC props . on it. Motor get another sound after the incident, so think need change that too :)

It takes of with 3s from water, or on wheels. but not from belly on grass. With 4s it take off from belly on grass too.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had a 2212 motor laying around (of the cheapy Asian) well, the esc follow the motor took fire in air, and i needed take a fast "dive" to ground... some damages, but fixed now. im using a 8x4 APC props . on it. Motor get another sound after the incident, so think need change that too :)

It takes of with 3s from water, or on wheels. but not from belly on grass. With 4s it take off from belly on grass too.
What KV is the 2212 you have?

leaded50

Legendary member
That sounds rather high kv for 8 inch prop, I'm guessing thats why you have enough thrust (and also maybe why esc took fire :unsure:)
My (old) power pack B emax 2213 has only 935kv so I'm bit pessimistic at the moment. 4-cell battery miight be necessary

Yeah, i know, but only motor i had who wasnt in use, without a few smaller. Its another better one the way, but mailman hadnt delivered yet :D
Well today i get it to stop a few times too, and needed cool of before function again . That motor dont like 4s ha,ha.
Im gonna use a 2830 (?) 1250 or 1400 kv, depending on which fit best when test it.