Republic RC-3 Seabee build

leaded50

Legendary member
A well known "orginal" guy locally had a couple of Republic RC-3 Seabee through the times. I wasnt old enough to remember both, but at least i did know one.
I had some time together with him, when renting garagespace a short while. He was an outcome of historys of flying, and happendings, from wartime as pilot, as commercial pilot and after at rescue , for police, or moviescenes eg. with helicopter. He did, when rescuehelicopter/movie, or others didnt dare. He handled his helicopters better than most of us will learn use our car in a life time. Sad enough, heart trouble ended his "era".

As a tribute, and for the fun of it , i plan make a replica rc by foamboard of one of his Seabees, painted as his was. Its a seaplane looking quite "donkey" , gonna make it also with retractable landinggear. 980mm wingspan, and a fuselage approx 680mm is scale.
A german airplan model producer had a Seabee rc model in its sortiment years ago, but long time since ended .
Well by using different technices in build ishould get it done anyway. :)

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
I see one once in a while flying over the lake at my parents. Cool plane, looking forward to seeing your progress

I found out, its have got to be an "heritage model" in sea aviaton around the world. Fun to see even Seabee it self gives a lot of information on the plane, even detailed part lists with drawings eg.

"sad enough" its gonna be a scratch build totally, thats said, parts are individually custom fit, and no plans used to share. I have drawings/pictures from top, under, side and front as resources.

leaded50

Legendary member
Feel its coming along quite ok.. :)
A opening under the tail though yet, needed to get pushrods, servos , tailwheel steering eg. in place.

DSC_0187.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0186.JPG
    DSC_0186.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It looks great, but it seems to be missing an important part... You might want to add it before the maiden - not that it will affect how it flies, but just for scale detail.:unsure::ROFLMAO:

leaded50

Legendary member
The landinggear on the Seabee swings backwards up, and is just shown as thinner legs. .. than fatter retracts wouldnt fit, but since are a multi sea/land plane, it should have retracts .
"Some" thinking and experimenting to find a solution, where could use a servoless electric retract. I had one 45g who is ment to be used at rc planes at approx 3 + kg, perfect to this lighter plane.

Here was the solution :

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
its soon ready buildt, and a maiden. (when reciver comes in mail.) Retracts and all ailerons, rudder, elevator, motor is in full function. Just to setup the pushrod for between rudder and stering wheel/water-rudder. (and find a prop that fits. :) )

DSC_0192.JPG
DSC_0193.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
@leaded50 you've done a great job with this! I'm all about float planes/seaplanes, so I find this extremely impressive. Well done!
Thanks a lot! Im satisfied too, i need get a reciver before try maiden it, but after what i feel, it can also be a superb enjoyable relaxed flyer, on both land and sea,.