Repurposed Habu 180 S Electronics

Elexo

I recently got the new UMX Habu 180 S with S.A.F.E. It was a little beyond my flying skills, and I crashed it so much that hot glue repairs made it heavy and less enjoyable to fly. Since a replacement airframe is upwards of $100, I thought, "can I make an airframe out of DTFB?" So I tried! My first attempt of a Mini Viggen (I apologize for lack of photos) Did not draw enough air for the EDF to produce thrust, and it crashed immediately. The airframe survived for the most part, but is now useless as it does not have enough power. The next idea from a fellow forum member was a Mig-15. I did some research, and thought on how I could make one. the hardest part was the small rounded fuselage. After experimenting with a heat gun, and removing paper, I got a small enough circle to close around the 28mm EDF
WIN_20160229_20_27_20_Pro.jpg
The fuselage tapers down to increase the power created by the fan. WIN_20160229_20_29_41_Pro.jpg
I currently have 3 channel control, throttle, elevator, and rudder. WIN_20160229_20_33_16_Pro.jpg
Sadly, the design is to small to keep the gyro (SAFE) board very well hidden, so it is just on the wing for now. WIN_20160229_20_36_08_Pro.jpg
The battery sits on the opposite side of the fuselage, secured by Velcro. The wing is a typical flat-bottomed airfoil with under-cambered wingtips. WIN_20160229_20_39_25_Pro.jpg WIN_20160229_20_39_32_Pro.jpg
After Maiden cra-flight today, as I presumed, the aircraft is extremely tail heavy. I lengthened the fuselage to increase scale appearance and improve balance. WIN_20160229_20_42_43_Pro.jpg WIN_20160229_20_42_51_Pro.jpg
The wind picked up past 15-20 MPH so I was unable to take it out for another flight. After running the motor up on the work table, the plane would begin to skid forward, so I am pretty sure it has enough air currant. It has its surface area. Sadly, after gluing the tail in place, I realized the Mig-15 is an H-tail design. If this airframe never works out, I may retry with some different build techniques, or perhaps move onto a glider, or a fully under-cambered wing.

Attachments

• WIN_20160229_20_32_55_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160229_20_32_55_Pro.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Crash and Burn RC

Geeterduuun
Very cool! Maybe to hide the electronics you could make a canopy on top.
Also, removing the paper of the foam board will decrease the weight immensely.
One last thing, I would recommend doing a double bevel of the leading edge of the wing, horizontal stabilizer, and rudder.
Flitetest doesn't do this, but from my experience, this will make it fly much better.
Colin

Last edited:

Elexo

Very cool! Maybe to hide the electronics you could make a canopy on top.
Also, removing the paper of the foam board will decrease the weight immensely.
One last thing, I would recommend doing a double bevel of the leading edge of the wing, horizontal stabilizer, and rudder.
Flitetest doesn't do this, but from my experience, this will make it fly much better.
Colin
thanks for the tip! sounds like it would create a much more aerodynamic shape.

Traveler_67

Check the website foamconceptjets.com, he has plans for a micro F-117, an X-47 military drone, the Bat Plane and a EuroJet that will take a 28-30 mm EDF. The plans are cheap, too. I've built an F-117 that didn't come out to well because I used poster board instead of DTF, my Bat Plane came out better, but I'm still redoing them in DTF.

He also has 64-70 mm EDF plans for those plus the Tin Man from the movie 'Stealth', in addition to various prop planes.

I'm not affiliated with his site in any way except as a customer LOL. I just really like ultra micro aircraft, especially umx EDFs.

Elexo

Check the website foamconceptjets.com, he has plans for a micro F-117, an X-47 military drone, the Bat Plane and a EuroJet that will take a 28-30 mm EDF. The plans are cheap, too. I've built an F-117 that didn't come out to well because I used poster board instead of DTF, my Bat Plane came out better, but I'm still redoing them in DTF.

He also has 64-70 mm EDF plans for those plus the Tin Man from the movie 'Stealth', in addition to various prop planes.

I'm not affiliated with his site in any way except as a customer LOL. I just really like ultra micro aircraft, especially umx EDFs.
I checked out the website, those planes look awesome! The only drawback is I can't get 3mm depron anywhere locally, and shipping is expensive. Would they work with DTF?