*REQUEST* Saccular acoustic sensitivity

Is it fine to mute the scraping/scratching/squeeky sound from videos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gurpreet.jaspal

Its a general request and please do not take it otherwise. I just googled to find out that I suffer from <b>Saccular acoustic sensitivity </b>. I like to watch your videos and especially the build logs. But I cannot watch it comfortably as the squeeky /scratchy sound that comes out of Josh's nails taking out cavity from form board or using sandpaper. It just gives me chills.

If this everyone has no issues in muting those sounds from the videos I would request you to kindly do the same. I am sure there may be many guys like me who has this problem. Also as far as I can think, I do not have any plus point in keeping that sound in the video.

Obviously this would be some extra efforts on video editing but this would help people like me a lot. Even though I will continue to watch your shows by muting sound manually. Please reply if anyone else has this issue and if you agree/disagree with my request. Cheers from India.

MrClean

When you are the one of the few you might consider putting a mixer app on your computers controls THEN dump the frequency that is giving you the problem. Instead of saying "I'm sun sensitive, lets blow up the sun" fix the problem on your end. That way, when you are listening to videos from somewhere other then FT you will be covered.

And sorry you are affected by this malady. Like Tinnitus I imagine it's a real pain.

gurpreet.jaspal

When you are the one of the few you might consider putting a mixer app on your computers controls THEN dump the frequency that is giving you the problem. Instead of saying "I'm sun sensitive, lets blow up the sun" fix the problem on your end. That way, when you are listening to videos from somewhere other then FT you will be covered.

And sorry you are affected by this malady. Like Tinnitus I imagine it's a real pain.

Hey.. Thanks for taking out time to reply my post and understanding my problem. You are right its my problem and one should not act solely on someone's petty issues. This is why I ask all of the members to give their inputs if it is ok to remove such noises/sounds or not.

A very good example you gave here. If one is affected by sun we cannot make the sun go away. As Sun gives us heat, energy, light etc etc etc. I was not able to figure out what benefit one can get to hear those noises/sounds. If you feel these are essential for videos then by all means we should keep it.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hello gurpreet.jaspal

I am not an FT employee but I'm sure the editing that goes into FT videos is already immense... having to go in and mute every squeak and scrape would add a huge task. Until the FT crew can evaluate your suggestion, maybe turn on close captions on the video and turn the sound down? Or like MrClean said a computer program that filters out those sounds could not only make enjoying FT videos better but may help your comfort watching any video.

DharanFlyer

I am not voting either way simply due to the fact I don't think there is a right answer. On your side if was a extremely easy fix (which I don't think it would be) I'd say go for it. If it added any time to an already busy team then I'd say it is not worth it.

Much like MrClean to addressing your own needs I have a type of colorblindness that makes a lot of what works for most of the population difficult for me at times. While I am always stoked to see computer programs that offer a setting for this most don't. I have had to learn to operate in systems and with things that don't address my personal needs.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I am not voting either way simply due to the fact I don't think there is a right answer. On your side if was a extremely easy fix (which I don't think it would be) I'd say go for it. If it added any time to an already busy team then I'd say it is not worth it.

It should be easy. Most sound card drivers nowadays have a mixer function. You can simply turn off the range of frequencies that give you problems and you'll never have to hear them again.

If your sound card doesn't support this there are 3rd party mixers out there, or you could buy a cheap card that will do it natively.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I would ask - how do you survive outside of Flite Test videos?
How do you deal with environmental sounds you encounter every day?
How do you deal with Music, TV or Movies?
Can any of your coping mechanisms be applied to Flite Test videos?

Best regards,
PCH

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning

Much like MrClean to addressing your own needs I have a type of colorblindness that makes a lot of what works for most of the population difficult for me at times. While I am always stoked to see computer programs that offer a setting for this most don't. I have had to learn to operate in systems and with things that don't address my personal needs.

I know! I can never tell when the LED turns from red to green, so I never know if batteries are charged. Love the standard LiPo chargers used in R/C. Beeping and proper LCD displays. No colors!

Mike

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
I know! I can never tell when the LED turns from red to green, so I never know if batteries are charged. Love the standard LiPo chargers used in R/C. Beeping and proper LCD displays. No colors!

Mike

Woo! Other colorblind people. Have you guys tried the glasses that are supposed to 'fix' color blindness?

DharanFlyer

I've talked to a few optometrists about them (years ago mind you), but they said that it only helps slightly and normally only with one specific color.

Prof_Lawry

Another solution is that FT could (should) supply a caption file to Youtube. Then the CC will be an accurate transcript, not something it tries to generate by converting speech back to text. This would benefit people with ANY type of hearing disorder, including old age. It would also help those who are not native English speakers, because the auto translate would be much more accurate if it started from an accurate transcript. This isn't hard to do. All it takes is for someone to type the spoken text into a file, and the video owner upload it to youtube.