research

Peter.c

I'm looking for some help. I am doing a school project about rc planes and building one as my product, but i need sources for a research paper. I need some help finding sources on the positive impact of rc planes or rc in general. any help would be greatly appreciated.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just start with the history of the good brothers and move to the evolution of the AMA and how popular events back in the 50's and 60's were a positive thing. How RC flight has helped full scale aviation as a test platform. Highlight the development of the tech involved and then ease in to how the government lumped all RC flight as "drones" and some of the positive things like medical deliveries being done in really isolated areas in 3rd world countries with minimal health aide.

You can leave out the whole Drone delivery debacle and the HUGE F.C.C. fail or you can point out how detrimental it all is to the good that RC flight has done and the future of its contribution to real aviation over (perceived) profits for big buisness.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @PsyBorg.
I would add the importance of RC planes to teaching kids the importance of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. There are so many STEM applications in the RC world, it’s hard to over sell. I can’t tell you how many kids I have encountered, that had absolutely no interest in STEM. I put a plane in their hand and start to explain the math and engineering to them. I never grow tired watching the light go on inside their head. STEM can be useful and fun.

With store bought planes, the STEM has already been done for you. With a scratch build plane, you mush do all the STEM work.

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Peter.c
Under the title "RC planes" there are actually two topics - "The development of light weight radio control equipment" and "The development of model planes". They are of course inter related but the milestones are different.
I suspect you will need to decide what area of 'Radio Control planes' your project is going to be on. It is a wide ranging subject that would take a huge amount of research to cover completely.

Even the history of model plane radio control is quite long. The first truly successful RC plane flew in 1938 by the Good brothers in the USA.
It is perhaps worth noting that the basic principles of RC have been known for a long time. Most of the improvement over the last 50 years years has been is making it smaller, lighter, more sophisticated and relatively much cheaper.

Does your project have any guidelines or objectives?

Peter.c

Just start with the history of the good brothers and move to the evolution of the AMA and how popular events back in the 50's and 60's were a positive thing. How RC flight has helped full scale aviation as a test platform. Highlight the development of the tech involved and then ease in to how the government lumped all RC flight as "drones" and some of the positive things like medical deliveries being done in really isolated areas in 3rd world countries with minimal health aide.

You can leave out the whole Drone delivery debacle and the HUGE F.C.C. fail or you can point out how detrimental it all is to the good that RC flight has done and the future of its contribution to real aviation over (perceived) profits for big buisness.
Thank you!!

Peter.c

Peter.c
Under the title "RC planes" there are actually two topics - "The development of light weight radio control equipment" and "The development of model planes". They are of course inter related but the milestones are different.
I suspect you will need to decide what area of 'Radio Control planes' your project is going to be on. It is a wide ranging subject that would take a huge amount of research to cover completely.

Even the history of model plane radio control is quite long. The first truly successful RC plane flew in 1938 by the Good brothers in the USA.
It is perhaps worth noting that the basic principles of RC have been known for a long time. Most of the improvement over the last 50 years years has been is making it smaller, lighter, more sophisticated and relatively much cheaper.

Does your project have any guidelines or objectives?
Much appreciated!

Peter.c

I agree with @PsyBorg.
I would add the importance of RC planes to teaching kids the importance of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. There are so many STEM applications in the RC world, it’s hard to over sell. I can’t tell you how many kids I have encountered, that had absolutely no interest in STEM. I put a plane in their hand and start to explain the math and engineering to them. I never grow tired watching the light go on inside their head. STEM can be useful and fun.

With store bought planes, the STEM has already been done for you. With a scratch build plane, you mush do all the STEM work.
That’s a really good Idea thank you

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Most of what I have learned about RC flight, beyond this forum of coarse, has been from YouTube. You could link a bunch of stuff to a project just from there. As for other sources like actual literature authored in the name of RC Aviation, magazines. I haven't been in a library for over 20 years haha.

But YT is full of so much info. You want the engineering side and all the logistics, look up guys like Bruce Simpson at RCModelReviews. There is also Tom Stanton who does a whack ton of cool aviation experiments. ProjectAir is also a good one to go with. These should get you started and YT will take you into the rabbit hole. Good Luck

Peter.c

Most of what I have learned about RC flight, beyond this forum of coarse, has been from YouTube. You could link a bunch of stuff to a project just from there. As for other sources like actual literature authored in the name of RC Aviation, magazines. I haven't been in a library for over 20 years haha.

But YT is full of so much info. You want the engineering side and all the logistics, look up guys like Bruce Simpson at RCModelReviews. There is also Tom Stanton who does a whack ton of cool aviation experiments. ProjectAir is also a good one to go with. These should get you started and YT will take you into the rabbit hole. Good Luck
Thank you!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Here are a few examples of what some are doing with RC to encourage kids to learn STEM
Once you can show someone why they need to learn STEM, its not drudgery. No longer do they have to learn it, now they WANT to learn.
What a difference that makes.