Resin Printing Questions About Curing/Washing.

IcedStorm777

So I am getting a resin printer (an old elegoo mars) and have plans to start diving deeper into the realm of resin printing. That being said I don't want to buy a curing station but want to build my own. I have an idea that I am hoping will work but have a few questions about.

Ok so as I understand it there are two parts of the post processing that are important. The cleaning of the print, and the curing. My question is about combining them. Would this work as an effective curing and washing station.

I would have a turntable inside of a box. The turntable would have a large glass mason jar attached to it with water inside. When a print was ready to be post processed, I would put the print in the water where it would turn for, say five minutes cleaning the excess resin off the print. The process could also be done with IPA or Acetone depending on results and what y'all think would work. The turntable would be rotating fairly slowly. After five minutes, a timer would click on and a strip of LED's would turn on on the inside of the box. The whole inside of the box would also be filled with aluminum foil to hopefully distribute the light better. The turntable would continue turning with the print in the water in the turntable. I have heard that water curing is VERY effective and just figured that I could combine both processes. Do y'all have any idea of this would work? I have seen both these processes done separately but never before so just wanted to make sure it would work before I embark on it. Thanks!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Few issues with that.

First water is only usable for washing with water washable resins. So for most resins you'll have to use IPA or Denatured alcohol.

Second...while curing in water is ok and sometimes can give better results...you don't want to cure in a solvent or in water that's been used for wash. The rinsed resin is still suspended in the water and will still cure often sticking to your print and leaving a mess. When you water cure you want to do so in clean fresh water after the part is fully washed.

Also - even with a curing station I use a 3 stage wash process - washing really makes a big difference in results. I do a first wash with a toothbrush in "dirty" alcohol that's been used quite a bit to get the bulk of the resin off. Then I do a second wash in my washing machine. For some prints that's enough...but with thicker resins or prints I really want to come out well they get a final wash in fresh alcohol and another toothbrush - sometimes I'll even put the part in a ziploc with the fresh alcohol and then put it in my ultrasonic cleaner if there are small openings or crevices that could hold resin.

IcedStorm777

Few issues with that.

First water is only usable for washing with water washable resins. So for most resins you'll have to use IPA or Denatured alcohol.

Second...while curing in water is ok and sometimes can give better results...you don't want to cure in a solvent or in water that's been used for wash. The rinsed resin is still suspended in the water and will still cure often sticking to your print and leaving a mess. When you water cure you want to do so in clean fresh water after the part is fully washed.

Also - even with a curing station I use a 3 stage wash process - washing really makes a big difference in results. I do a first wash with a toothbrush in "dirty" alcohol that's been used quite a bit to get the bulk of the resin off. Then I do a second wash in my washing machine. For some prints that's enough...but with thicker resins or prints I really want to come out well they get a final wash in fresh alcohol and another toothbrush - sometimes I'll even put the part in a ziploc with the fresh alcohol and then put it in my ultrasonic cleaner if there are small openings or crevices that could hold resin.

Ok, awesome. I got just about the same response on another forum as this so my new plan is to pre wash the prints in 99.9% IPA and scrub it with an old toothbrush or something different, remove the support, and then place it in the water curing station.