Resize 1080p or record 720p?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey guys,

Long time no post. I just got my Mobius HD camera. I have intentions to upload all (most) of my edited videos in 720p - both YouTube and Vimeo. So, for this purpose, what would give the better quality?

• Recording in 1080p and resizing in Premiere Pro
  • Recording directly to 720p

Also, fellow Premiere Pro users - what export settings do you use, for Min Bitrate, Max Bitrate, and do you do 1 or 2 pass rendering?

Thanks a lot :)

lonewolf7717

By no means an expert but for me it depends on level of editing and effects I wish to apply. If heavily edited I prefer working with 1080p (especially if digital crops are involved). Typically will edit and apply all I wish to 1080....save as 1080 mpeg4, review for hiccups and artifacts and then once happy scale down to 720p. If you are one that likes to add some saturation to vids to amp up colors 1080 is way to go....with 720 things can get grainy if too many changes are applied to original file. If you like to leave vids relatively clean of edits and or effects there is really no difference between 720 native and downsizing 1080.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The mobius will only do 30fps at 1080 but can do 60fps at 720 - so if you're only interested in 720 as your final resolution you will probably get smoother video at the higher framerate by recording at 720. But I'm really sensitive to frame and refresh rates - most people don't seem to be as bothered by slower rates as I am....

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks for the reply, Wolf. I did a test to check the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_xHZn80Zg

Not much of a difference except in the exposure changes, I guess. But you do have a point - Maybe some day I'd like to do some cropping, and 1080p would help there.

About adding saturation, things already look quite unsaturated here, especially so on cloudy days. The tiniest bit of saturation makes the video look oversaturated. Could be the old camera though, haven't tested that wih this one.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The mobius will only do 30fps at 1080 but can do 60fps at 720 - so if you're only interested in 720 as your final resolution you will probably get smoother video at the higher framerate by recording at 720. But I'm really sensitive to frame and refresh rates - most people don't seem to be as bothered by slower rates as I am....

Well, it does 720 60fps but in a less wide angle... If you check the youtube link above you can see the difference between the wide and not wide footage.

60fps is nice, although the recording time is halved and the AOV as well (on this camera) so it's kind of unusable for my footage so far.