Retro "No Mix" Flying Wing

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just looking for a different build and something that might help those with limited resources or even a Radio system that does not have Mixes or that the newbie does not know how to configure the Mixing.

Looking at a simple retro, (Plank style), 3 channel flying wing, that builds light and can be easily put back together after a crash or a combat related Mid-Air.

It can be built using only 2 servos or with 3 servos if required! Whilst normally a pusher it can be reconfigured as a tractor design!

The design is very light weight and has been simplified. capable of quite fast flight using only 100Watts of propulsive force - motor power. Battery size as little as 800mA 3S.

If there is sufficient interest the build will proceed and the plans will be made available after the maiden has been successfully completed!

Anyone interested?

Have fun!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
i have seen wings built with the 3rd servo that pulls the other 2 servos for the elevator. How do you do 2 servos without a mix?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
In the same manner as you would normally but there is no tail boom.

A single servo to operate the elevator/s and a single servo to operate the ailerons, (2 servos on a "Y" harness could just as easily be used). Here I would use a centrally mounted servo and have a single flexible line/rod to control the ailerons.

I have a flying model from the 70s which uses a .40 and it is a wing with separate ailerons, elevator, and rudder all fully functional and not interconnected or mixed. In the same family as the original Combat Gremlin. I will be doing a build using this as the guide. The original model even has dihedral though for a simple build it would have to be considered as optional!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Befoe we had computer Tx, we used to do it with a Vtail mixer like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PXCQCG5/?tag=lstir-20
Yes, I used them with my last "No Mix" transmitter only a couple of years ago now. Mind you I started prior to that when we used the sliding tray mixer.

I am trying to see if there is interest in a NO MIX required Flying Wing as a Basic Wing trainer for the newbie. Mind you after the training is hopefully successful it could quickly be adapted into a full blown combat ship!

have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Mind you I started prior to that when we used the sliding tray mixer.!
I’ve seen designs for the sliding tray but have never used one.

1553644132373.png

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I’ve seen designs for the sliding tray but have never used one.
Making the tray type mixer can be quite a difficult task especially getting it set up and so that it is free moving BUT not such that there slop or play in the control surfaces.

I still have one or two laying around but I do not fly them. Had a couple bind up on me ages ago and the result was expensive!
That is why the No Mix idea behind the proposed build! If they can build and fly a tiny trainer then they should be able to build and fly the wing!

have fun!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Other than than the sliding servo, there is also a hardware based mechanical mixer.

images (1).jpeg

My father made one similar to this and used it on a slope wing. Worked great. His was hinged a little differently, but almost the same thing.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This build is to commence soon!
Just completing another build first and the design work on this one is in progress!
Will be a 3 channel bird and for ease of assembly it will be a 3 Servo installation. The channels of course will be AET, a classic "Yank and Bank".

Have fun!