Reversing Shaft? EMAX 2010/11

GunHog

Thanks for the help in advance. OK, lill new to the sport.
Building Versa Wing (pusher)
Motor is an EMAX 2010/11 from LazerToys (The Beef electric kit for FT Versa)

The Stator (magnets) case rotates with the shaft.
The Armature with the plug wires is stationary and has the mount. The shaft extends out of the Armature case spinning with the stator.

Q: Is this the wrong motor? Do I need a stationary stator?
Q: Can the shaft be reversed to extend out the Stator casing"

I have no way to use the supplied motor mount as the plug wire will come over the rotating stator. The motor would have to be mounted behind the firewall with the shaft transitioning through the fire wall.

Confused,

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It should have come with a screw-on prop adapter and a slip-on collet adapter. The collet adapter goes on the protruding shaft if you want/are able to mount behind a firewall. The screw-on prop adapter goes on the front of the motor case, opposite the mounting side of the motor with the wires. See if the pictures on this page help...

For clarity, all my directions (in front of, behind firewall) are from a normal tractor type view, pusher will necessarily be reversed....

Last edited:

engineer

I'm having a similar issue, This is a Turnigy Park series... I was hoping to use it in the swappable powerpod, but it looks like it is going to sit too far back like this. Am I supposed to reverse the shaft somehow? 20130914_222359.jpg

GunHog

@engineer - My motor housing is even larger giving me more of the same problem. I'm still trying to find info on attaching the adapter to the rear of the housing as suggested above by xuzme720 . The brands website gives no help. I'm not keen on taking this apart till I know more.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I don't know about Engineer, but your motor should have come with the adapter, GunHog...

engineer

There is a slip-on adapter for a prop, but nothing that looks like that bolt-on adapter in that lazertoys link. There's 2 screws in the bell, but I'm not sure if they're for balancing or for use with a prop saver. Even without those, the shaft is pretty solidly in place.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The screws in the bell hold the bell to the shaft.

Removing them might seem to do nothing, but it's really just a tight fit. A little motor vibe or well placed tap from a hammer will separate the two.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
GunHog, if you go to the link above, there are pictures to the right. the bottom 2 show the prop adapter I was talking about, and that should have come with your motors. I don't see them for sale separately at Lasertoyz but this is basically what you'd need. You just need one that fits your motor...

Last edited:

engineer

It's a Turnigy Park 300 and its a bit smaller than I thought it would be. It doesn't have a prop adapter like the aerodrive you linked, nor does it have any sort of tapped holes for it.
I've been looking around for some solutions, looks like after removing the retaining clip and set screws, the shaft can be slid with a vice. Unfortunately I don't have a vice, but I might try Craftydan's gentle hammer idea, since it won't do me any good if I can't mount it correctly.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Dan's idea might be best in this case with that motor. You should be able to reverse it, IF you can get the shaft loose, that is. A block of wood drilled for shaft clearance might be a good way to try in the absence of a vice...?

On edit: I found this in the reviews for this motor on Hobbyking...

Hobbyking said:
Very good motor- all three worked strait out of the box. I reversed the shaft on all of them, but accidentally broke one shaft in the process. Do not try to reverse the shaft unless you ABSOLUTELY have to! Made a new shaft with some steel rod. I use three of these motors on a tricopter, 3s lipo, 7x4 props. They will easily turn 8x4s on 3s, its just that a 7x4 works better with a tricopter because the motors can speed up/slow down faster. If you do reverse the shaft, get a can of spray lube and spray a lot on the motor bell/shaft. 5 stars, just be careful with shaft reversing.....

I guess it can be done, just be careful.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have to more questions for engineer.
What are you trying to mount this in and won't the prop saver on the bell end work for you?

engineer

I was hoping to put it on a swappable pod, and it looks like it'll sit too deep in the frame (for something like the Baby Blender or Spitfire).
As for the bell-end prop saver, the set screws don't seem super strong, and the dimensions of the "prop saver" don't seem to lend themselves to sitting a prop nicely. And I'm brand new to this, so i'm not sure if it IS a prop saver!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, it IS a prop saver, but you're right about the spit and BB, the pod does sit deeper in on those.
I'll be honest though, for those planes you are probably going to want a little larger motor anyway. If it were me, I would use the 300 you have on a pod for stuff like the flyer, Bloody Wonder, Nutball, etc. and get something like the Beef for the BB and Spitfire. You don't have to get that one, I myself would probably get a comparable motor from HK or Heads up...

Last edited:

engineer

I was thinking I'd probably need larger motor, the wattage was a bit low, and my ESC was a bit light too... There are definitely other good options; what do you think about an SK3 - 2830-1020kv and a 20A ESC? (Need some new servo's anyway, might as well get a decent motor).

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have a 2830 on my Spit and it works like a charm. 20 amp ESC should be fine as I think I pull around 10 amps with an 8x4.7 prop. Mine is a lower Kv motor but that just means you'll have a little better top speed.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No problem. Just glad we were able to get it all sorted out before anything bad happened!

whiskeyjack

Gunhog, I just had a look at Lazertoy's web site and noticed that the "Beef" motor combo was intended for a tractor Versa Wing. I see you are wanting to build a pusher. You should have received everything you need to be able to mount this motor as a pusher. From what I could see the motor is designed to have the shaft end fixed and the bottom as the rotating part.
That said, I wish a had this thing in my hand, the "X" mount attaches to the shaft end and the prop adapter to the opposite side. Provide a relief hole for the shaft in the foam and mount the motor as you would normally.
I think you could reverse the shaft but you would be taking a chance on damaging the bearings not to mention, there goes your warranty.

daniel_t

I just did this for an EMax 2215. This image helped out a lot: http://www.emaxmodel.com/views.asp?hw_id=16

When I took the motor out of the box, it looked like the picture in the bottom center. I had to get a very small allen wrench and unscrew the four silver screws, then I was able to take the flat disk off and replace it with the disk that has a shaft and nut pictured in the parts display.

No shaft reversing necessary.