Review on the Ultra Micro 4-site BNF(EFL9080)

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Flitetest please do a review on the Ultra Micro 4-site BNF(EFL9080).I want to see it fly and its pros and cons.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
It's pretty old school nowadays. I've got one and love(d) it. The motor soon burnt out on my particular example so I have a brushless conversion waiting in the do pile. Not as powerful as larger planes, but great fun in the front yard. Loads of wing rock in harrier etc but very very very very good at rolling maneuvers.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I have one too but still brushed, on a turnigy 160mAh nano-tech it has tons of power and its very good for indoor precision aerobatics, almost 3D but like glydr said it has a bit of wing rock

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
It's pretty old school nowadays. I've got one and love(d) it. The motor soon burnt out on my particular example so I have a brushless conversion waiting in the do pile. Not as powerful as larger planes, but great fun in the front yard. Loads of wing rock in harrier etc but very very very very good at rolling maneuvers.
Do u recommend it for 3D flying? And is it worth the price? Does it have a good battery life if you take care of it? Is it durable? Where do you recommend i buy it? What should i change eg. Brushless...?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
on a turnigy 160mAh nano-tech it has tons of power

You know I reckon I must have got a lemon which some bloke broke and returned to the shop. I'm always the last to complain about no power (I started this hobby on brushed motors and nicads which teaches you to use what power you have available).

I tried loads of batteries and struggled with all. The final nail in the original motor's coffin was losing a nut in the prop which forced me to go for a new power system. Could have got a new brushed original motor but for not much more I went for a b/less system from HK. That still meant sinking another $30 into this bird so you can tell that I do rate it.

For 3D, good training because you can use it at any opportunity in your front street. From what I can see of my own experience and that of others orientation training is key (i.e. what way do I put the rudder again when it is coming towards me inverted?) and the best medicine for that is practice. With this plane its easy to grab 5min of flying at any time when it is calm outside.

Battery? They are as cheap as chips (really, a battery costs less than a big packet of deli chips!). So duration/ life shouldn't be an issue.

Worth the price? I reckon an aircraft's price should be assessed on a $/hr airborne basis. As this bird can be flown often its cheap on that basis.

Durable? Nope. If you crash loads, stay away. Mine has been put into a bush and repaired and is still ok. But if you are rank amateur 3D spend some more time on the sim or a big EPP one.

Change? Nothing (providing you don't buy a lemon like I did). Just buy nanotechs as the flight pack.

Where to buy? I got mine from a LHS.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I LOOOOVVVVEEE Mine. I'm taking it to the gym to fly in about 45 minutes. This is my second one as I crashed the first into oblivion. It definitely needs a radio that you can put lots of expo in and dumb the rates way down. It rolls so incredibly fast it's very difficult to fly at first. I liked the plane before as I got it when I was just learning 3D. Now that I have a better grasp on it I absolutely love flying my 4Site. Mine has been very durable considering the construction and type of flying it's meant for. It's every bit as durable as my buddies UMX Extras and it flies just as fast, does every maneuver they can do. It's about a half gram heavier so it doesn't float quite as well, but if you are any kind of 3D pilot I think you will love it. Lot's of power, pulls out of a hover very easily for me. Holds a knife edge better than my galaxy, you can fly it about anywhere but I DO NOT recommend flying it outside with any wind AT ALL. I think an AS3X version would be incredible.

One downside is that it's been discontinued. I got my second one off of ebay for 75 bucks. You can still get parts though and the motor and servos are the same as the UMX Extra 300. Props too.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
You know I reckon I must have got a lemon which some bloke broke and returned to the shop. I'm always the last to complain about no power (I started this hobby on brushed motors and nicads which teaches you to use what power you have available).

Mine can pull just above its own weight, which isn't much for 3D but I classed it as tons compared to the eflite (ughh) batteries, which are 40% bigger than the nano-techs but have less capacity :confused:. I can fly it round in high alpha, do torque rolls and prop hang, but its the stability and aerobatic ability of the airframe that I like rather than the power. Whereas other planes you need to blip the throttle while in 3D manoeuvres, this doesn't need to, so doesn't really need lots of excess power. It's also the only plane I have which can do knife edge loops:applause:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I run the turnigy 160's and nano tech 160's and I can hover, drop in a hover, recover and pull out with relative ease. But like was said above, it doesn't need lots of power. This plane flies wonderfully. I can go the length of the basketball court in knife edge without putting any rudder into it. A little correction at the end, then go back the other way. It will do front flips, back flips, loops, rolls, knife edge loops etc. It's a fantastic flier and it doesn't require massive amounts of power to make it happen. Tonight I was doing knife edge laps around the gym about 3 feet off the floor. Great plane. When you do crash it, it's not good. It always breaks in the same places, and it's hard to work on because it's so small and you have to work in between the wings. I'm happy with it though, and I'll probably try to find another one or keep repairing this one for a while.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The turnigy 160 are 1.69 and the nanotech are 1.47

It climbs right to the top of the gym as fast as I want it to. I don't fly it outside so I never timed it or anything, but it's got enough power to do anything I want.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Just make sure you put lots of expo and dumb the rates down. I just looked at my transmitter, and most of the time I fly it on 60% rates with 35% expo. When I flip it up to 100% rates even with 50% expo, it's very hard to control the roll rate. When you're trying to hold a knife edge or even just level the wings for landing it's way too fast. I have the rudder and elevator on higher rates, but the roll rate is just incredibly fast so I keep it lower.