Rewind HobbyKing cf2812 motor

earthsciteach

Well, this thread has been dormant long enough. Let's revive it!

I have too many motors with broken or burnt windings occupying space and time in my cluttered little work area. I hit up the Shack a couple of weeks ago and bought some 30 gage winding wire. Just finished winding phase 1 of a busted EMax CF2822. Its bed time, so the other two phases will have to wait until my planning period and in-school suspension coverage at school tomorrow. Shhhh.... don't tell the boss...

Ninja, I want you to know that this motor is slated to hang off of the back end of an Assassin. I'm guessing you get some kind of kickback from Crashtesthobby for every new addict you bring their way. If not, you should!

Is there anyone else out there ridiculous enough to rewind a $10.00 motor? Its really a Zen-like experience. Turn, tuck, count, repeat. Be proud! Let your cheapness be known! Stand with me in proclaiming that your free time is worth less than that $10 + shipping motor!

Hey, Chad - how about a motor rewinding episode??? Lord knows I need it!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I've still had somewhat mixed results with the rewinds but mostly because I like them so much I run them at full throttle 'till they smoke. Over-propped the last one I've got one more that I rewound that tests fine on the bench. Maybe I'll be more careful this time ;) When Hobbyking had the crf2812 in stock they are only 6 bucks a pop. I agree that it's kind of a Zin thing. Along with the satisfaction of having something that's broke and making it work again.

Kinda like the old Grim Reaper that I caught on fire. It just never made it to the trash can. I just spent the evening fixing about 8 prop strikes on the leading edge and a big all the way through prop strike in the middle. Yeah, I could have just built a new one with about the same amount of effort (ok, probably less but then I couldn't say "Hey, remember that plane I caught on fire out here a month or two ago...?" Sometimes you gotta just let them sit there for a while 'till you're not mad at it anymore ;)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hahaha- I wish I got a kickback. Nah, he's just got a good product going. Like to see my friends (or anybody) flying good planes and having a good time.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Can you understand how mad I got when HobbyKing decided to allow only two buddycodes per order?

I am super cheap on everything! I guess that is why I am buying from HobbyKing.

Yeah- yet again another HK gimmick that is released w/o publishing any guidelines on how it is expected to be used.
Their ill fated swarm program is what really left a bad taste in my mouth...

con244

I rewound a BM2410-12T motor yesterday as an experiment. I wound it with 6 turns to each stator and terminated it in the WYE configuration. It took me three goes to get it right and with no shorts. I connected it up and ran it first without a prop and it ran well:applause:. I then fitted a 1047 prop and it ran for about 1 min and cooked:(. I obviously over propped it. I reckon a 8" prop may be more suitable. I'll give another go when I have some spare time. Wish I had a tachometer so I Knew what revs it was doing.
Cheers
Con

earthsciteach

GREAT SUCCESS!!! I wound the EMAX CF2822 with single strand 30 gage wire using a DLRK pattern with 15T per stator. Hooked up to an esc and she spun nicely. Then, the real test. I put an 8x6 APC prop on her and she hummed along beautifully! It didn't even get warm. I'm one happy camper!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Awesome- sounds like it's time to get an Assassin to put in front of it ;)
MG90s servos work great on the Assassin sized planes.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
yeah- i went through a couple o' motors and two or three ESC's last spring.
My setup was working fine all winter, but when it started warming up I started smoking things.
The prop that I had switched to (I love 'em because they are thicker and I very seldom break one) pulled a lot more amps and watts and was way over what the motors were rated for. Lesson learned (the hard way as usual)

Tony A.

Team Deadstick
I think I have an old Emax CF2812 off one of my Assassins lying around somewhere that I need to try to rewind...if I can find the time. I still have a Shoestring that the wife bought me for Christmas that I need to build too...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The radio shack wire sucks. I have a roll of it that I've been using.
Our friends over on the Assassin thread swear by the Microdan high temp or newbie wires.
(I think they are buying the 25 gauge?)
Search for posts by KC Flyer- he's got it down to a science ;)

UndCon

UndCon
In my local town I have a company that is specialized in rewinding motors and such. They have plenty of quality copper wires in all diameters available. I got a spool with more than enough to rewind 3 motors for the cost of some doughnuts.

The motors I repaired was a C10 Micro brushless outrunner 2900kv

//UndCon

con244

Well I rewound my BM2410-12T motor again. This time I used 15 turns of wire that I took of a solenoid which was much finer than the last one. The motor ran much slower and turned a 1047 prop easily. I suspect that in its current configuration it may just be the ultimate slow flyer motor. I think it'll swing a 11 or 12 inch prop with ease. Now just need a model to put it on. My Slowstick is in heaven
Cheers
Con

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I just rewound another cf2812 tonight.
Static tested w/an apc clone 7x6 prop. Getting 200w and 20amps (not the best battery though...)
Another one raised from the dead :)