Rewind HobbyKing cf2812 motor

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Well I rewound my BM2410-12T motor again. This time I used 15 turns of wire that I took of a solenoid which was much finer than the last one. The motor ran much slower and turned a 1047 prop easily. I suspect that in its current configuration it may just be the ultimate slow flyer motor. I think it'll swing a 11 or 12 inch prop with ease. Now just need a model to put it on. My Slowstick is in heaven
Cheers
Con
:) I've only manage to kill one slow stick.
Slow stick number two has grown heavier with repairs and reinforcements but is still a good flyer.
(well last time it wasn't but that's all behind us now)
Awesome slowflyer:
http://crashtesthobby.com/products/albatross

earthsciteach

Maidened the Assassin today. She is a blast to fly! But, the rewound motor burned out after about 5 minutes of flight. She was a bit underpowered, anyway. I need to use a higher kv motor. What would you recommend, Ninja?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Maidened the Assassin today. She is a blast to fly! But, the rewound motor burned out after about 5 minutes of flight. She was a bit underpowered, anyway. I need to use a higher kv motor. What would you recommend, Ninja?

I like these and the last time HK had them in stock I think I bought 6 of them.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5423
When HobbyKing has them in stock they are about 6 bucks apiece.

PlaneInsaneRC.com and HeadsupRC.com keep them in stock but they cost more :)

RCTimer also has a version of what appears to be the same motor.
I haven't tried the RC Timer version but a couple of the guys on the Assassin threads have and they like 'em.

For stock, recommended type setup you are looking for a motor that will do a7x6 prop at 1500-1700kv, 200 watts and around 50-60 grams.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
We like the fc2812's

number one because of the price, at 6 bucks apiece (when you can get 'em) they are almost disposable

number two because of how easy they are to rebuild, I'm still using the stupid radio shack wire (10 winds) but there are guys out there that are rewinding the little red motors with the 24 or 25 gauge microdan wire that are getting 300 watts from these cheap little boogers (mostly doing 9 winds, some are doing 8).

There are even some guys that buy them brand new and strip the windings out and rewind them from the get go- Me, I burn it out first :)

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor

Teach- WHAT, no PICTURES?

Also, how many winds on the rewound motor?
Did you use the radio shack wire? Which size?
Get some motors on order but I think you may be able to find a winding that will work with the motor you have. Something to play with until you a motor or two :)
I'm using 10 winds of the green radio shack wire.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Motor itself seems fine. Not wild about the stick mounts though, if the base would fit into the mounting ring from your emax motor it might work out for ya.
We really like the fc2812 for these planes. Try PlaneInsaneRC to get one. He's a good guy...

earthsciteach

Thanks, Ninja. Will do. I'm going to rewind the 2822 today after picking up the green wire from Radio Shack.

Tomcon5 - responded to your message. Wish I could be of more help. I still at the point that I'm happy when the motor simply spins instead of smokes!

earthsciteach

Well, ordered two 2812s from HeadsUpRC. I'm currently picking the goo of over heated wire insulation from the stators. How many strands of the green wire did you use for winding, Ninja?

fred0000

what a cool video, I wish I seen this a while ago, I had a motor that would have been a perfect canadate to try it on, I want to rewind a brushless motor for a side project now. to cool!

(now I know why some of my motors have brittle wires too, also good to know)

earthsciteach

Aaargh! Knicked the wire insulation on the second wind of the last rotor. I coated the knick with wife's purple fingernail polish. We'll see how that goes...

earthsciteach

Hooo Weee! Fired up the re-rewound CF2822. I am using 26 gage wire with 10 T per stator. Judging by the brief test, the life of this winding will be short but spectacular! Ha ha ha!

I just hope it doesn't set my new Assasin on fire!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yeah- been doing 10 wind of the green radio shack wire, I think I'm still over propped with my 7x6.
If I use any more of this stuff I'm gonna try 11 winds.
I wanna get some of the Micro Dan high temp wire. The guys over on the Assassin thread have been getting great results with that stuff. Say Hi over there sometime. A good bunch of guys over there :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Awesome!

Finally ran out of the green radio shack wire.
Now I'm gonna have to pop for a roll of the good stuff ;)

What? Still no pictures?