Rewind HobbyKing cf2812 motor

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
hahaha- only for as long as you can keep it in the air :)
Dangit, I need to make a trip over to penciltucky just to make sure it gets smacked out of the air appropriately...

Got pics?

earthsciteach

I don't think I have any pics. I'm building it for a kid that was in my RC club at school a couple of years ago. Its XPS foam covered with fiberglass. The electronics and such are up to him. I'm pretty excited to see it fly.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Another little red motor brought back to life
IMG_20131009_214759_103.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
And another one.
This one is for a foam board f22.
Should be just the ticket for these little planes.
IMG_20131128_013003_807.jpg IMG_20131129_024107_213.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I just lost one of my red motors to a tree on Thanksgiving. Had the flyer out in the kids neighborhood for the granddaughters to see and miss judged the height of the pine trees across the street! Put it right in the top at about 50'. No wind and none of my retrieval gear...probably still up there. I haven't given up on it yet and hoping I can get the motor and some of the other gear back. I'm sure the battery will be a goner since I was flying 72mhz, as soon as the radio was turned off, it probably jittered itself to oblivion...

earthsciteach

So, here's the deal. I have this 800 mm Spitfire that I have a love-hate relationship with. I love the way it looks. Sometimes it flies decently, but there is no rhyme or reason to why. I am always uptight when flying because it will go from seeming like it is flying on rails to snapping out of control with no hope of recovery.

Many of my CF 2812's met their death in the nose of this cantankerous airplane. The airframe (I actually have 2) has been hanging on the wall for well over a year now. As such, it is starting to look appealing, again. I'm going to rewrap one of these dead motors, stick it in the nose and fly this damed plane, again. 9 turns, 24 g MD wire. Cool.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
How many rolls of MD wire should I order, Ninja?
I've done six rewinds (most 9 turn motors) on the roll I have so far. Yes, I'm counting. When I first bought this stuff I thought it was really expensive, but looking around it's really not that far off the mark with prices anywhere else that I can find (for 200c rated wire). If I had to guess I'd say I'm about halfway through this spool. I'll let you know when I get it all used up ;)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have a Scorpion S-4025-16 that I am gearing up to rewind. It looks like it will be a challenge since the only other motor I have rewound was a Hextronix 10g 2000KV.

Thurmond

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Thurmond. Post your findings here if you would be so kind. Would love to see what kind of results you get.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Whoopee! Success!
After a lot of failed DLRK winds, I decided to try LRK instead.

image.jpg

9t 24g wire. Spins an 8x4 prop at 13 amps at 12 volts. I don't have a way to calculate KV, but the flat plate extra I installed it on was extremely fast, I am guessing 45-50 mph.
Btw, the severed firewall is a result of a snap roll. The tail snapped off nicely...:D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Oh also, I put Ohm's law to good use as I don't have a precise ohm meter, and got a resistance of 6.55 ohms. That can't be right. What am I missing? 0.07 ohms sounds reasonable, but not 6.5. Any ideas about what this poor physics student did wrong?

earthsciteach

Uhhh.... I'm an electronics and electrical idiot. I do know R=V/I. Aren't these things 3 phase? Does the esc convert to ac?