RF or Phoenix sim?

GatorJohn

I'm a MS teacher planning a possible stem class. I'm thinking about getting a sim for use in class. My debate is what's the best sim to get. Any thoughts on which would be best? TIA

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm going to make the suggestion that you go with RealFlight. While I like Phoenix RC, it's no longer being supported by the company as they have stopped making it. I believe Runtime Games, the manufacturer of Phoenix RC, folded a few years back. But, that said, there's still people who really like it - if it can be found.

RealFlight, however, has got support for a ton of aircraft that you can purchase and fly in the real world - Apprentice STS, Eflite Turbo Timber, Twin Otter, several jets, even helicopters. They have a version of it for $200 that comes with a Spektrum DXS, which can then be taken and used as an actual transmitter for flying planes as well, so you can move straight from the simulator to flying the real thing without needing to buy a transmitter, if you are planning to go that route.

GatorJohn

Thanks Sprout, I want to use it as a teaching aid and incentive. Hard to keep a room full of adolescents busy. The old idleness is the root of mischief saying definitely applies to 12-14 year olds. :)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you can get everything you need on Amazon for about $15. it comes with 3 sims (RF7, Phoenix5.0, and FMS) and it includes the dongle and adapters needed to plug in your Tx. you can also download phoenix5.0 now for free and if you have a dongle it won't cost you a dime.

I have Phoenix up on my smart board as we speak, kids were flying earlier during break from summer school.

laters,

me :cool:

Flite Risk

My I offer two suggestions?

Picasim-free
http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/

Wings fpv sim - not free, 36.00
https://wings-sim.com/

Picasim is goood many planes, many maps. the developer is a nice guy and replys quickly so if you have a problem setting up he is right there.

wings is fpv race sim, you can race off line and just fly on your own or on line agains other people.

hope this helps

Last edited:

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
If you have a transmitter and are running windows try rc desk pilot. It is free and feels pretty realistic to me. You have nothing to lose by trying it imo

dave1up

Phoenix - You just need the dongle. - https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/

First paragraph:

"Since PhoenixSim is now fully out of business and there is no customer support left whatsoever I consider it to be abandonware and I feel I can share files for support and community purposes to those still using the software. You still need a dongle to use it. If original copyright holders wish to take these files down for a valid reason they can contact me. "

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
agreed rc desk pilot is great....
just got picasim on my mobile... and it is sooo... realistic... it's amazing...
i am now going to try get it on my computer.....