Rib alternative to under camber wing

Jabbo

Don't know if anyone's tried this but it seems to work quite well.. especially if you do the table edge wing curve thing...
Once you get the curve you want take a few foam strips and get a similar curve. While maintaining the curve, glue the strips in place. Once the glue dries the curve remains nice & stiff.. This particular wing is a full 20 x 30 foam board.. half of a dihedral wing for a creeper I'm building.. It's just a personal preference.. I don't like ribs.. and it looks neater. sweeter, and more completer.. ;)
00-wing.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Don't know if anyone's tried this but it seems to work quite well.. especially if you do the table edge wing curve thing...
Once you get the curve you want take a few foam strips and get a similar curve. While maintaining the curve, glue the strips in place. Once the glue dries the curve remains nice & stiff.. This particular wing is a full 20 x 30 foam board.. half of a dihedral wing for a creeper I'm building.. It's just a personal preference.. I don't like ribs.. and it looks neater. sweeter, and more completer.. ;)
View attachment 147685
How does it hold in flight? Has this type of wing seen a crash if so what was the outcome? Asking cause I like the idea and want to consider trying it out :).

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I like it. I haven't used it for wings (yet). I've started using this to build up curved wing spars and it work well. however have it a shaped right, or have it held down well so you can leave it until the glue is super cool. however, the trick is to get it to exact shape first so as to remove as much of the residual stresses beforehand.