RK - 800 ("tandem" sliding wing areal fighter)

leaded50

Legendary member
I can't decide if I should admire you or fear you.

When you grow up to be the world's most feared Evil Genius carrying out your plans for world domination (Like in the early James Bond movies - Sean Connery) I get to say "I knew him way back in 2020."
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

leaded50

Legendary member
its a "experiment" nobody have done (or flyed) by a airplane or an RC plane. The theory is functional to get bigger wingarea for slower landing and take off, its close same thing as movable slats and some types of flaps, just here, its far more differences. . If it function on my build....SUPERB! If not.. well, ive tried :)

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
About time, i build this finished...... :)

Did some glidetests today. With wingpanels out, it glided easy, but stalled. Seems like have "enough" lift-area .
With panels in, it glided pretty straight. Adjusted CG, and got a "superb" glide with wingpanels out. more close to a glider!

Been started working to put together the wingpanels- Every panel have a foamboard in wingprofile, at inner ends. fitteed to slide inside the one closer to fuselage. And install the "thread" system to keep them straight linear, and as every panel slides equal out .

Here is pictures with full out, and in:

DSC_0898.JPG
DSC_0899.JPG

About time, i build this finished...... :)

Did some glidetests today. With wingpanels out, it glided easy, but stalled. Seems like have "enough" lift-area .
With panels in, it glided pretty straight. Adjusted CG, and got a "superb" glide with wingpanels out. more close to a glider!

Been started working to put together the wingpanels- Every panel have a foamboard in wingprofile, at inner ends. fitteed to slide inside the one closer to fuselage. And install the "thread" system to keep them straight linear, and as every panel slides equal out .

Here is pictures with full out, and in:

View attachment 202226 View attachment 202227
Oh no - back to this again?!
The plane is beautiful. I still think you're crazy!

leaded50

Legendary member
I have the "perfect" pointed spinner for this plane from an Sbach (i believe?) , sadly just for 2 blade prop, and i want a 3 blade prop on this.
To find one, pointed, 3blade and approx 45mm diameter, is close to not possible. (longer than diameter)
Mainly because many shops dont give up measures, if are a oem part.... then just the plane it belongs to :mad:
And if you try search such places as Banggood, Aliexpress, Ebay, eg... you got it all in any diameter, 2-3-4-blades....and distinctive check of everyone is of need. Mainly if are 2 or 3 blade, pitcures need checking :mad:.
If you try to get a shop to check diameter of their spinners....many dont give answer :mad:.

That was todays rant.......
i gave up, and ordered 5 different from two different shops national, not from knowed measures, but are for 3 blade props, and a possibillity can fit by the pictures of the plane its a part of... ( i hope :p )

leaded50

Legendary member
by painting, contrast layer is done. When sanding slightly every minor error would easy show up. Out of that one can decide whats should be fixed better with eg. superlight wall filer, or just isnt "worth" fixing. Minor stuff, not "sharp" bumps/connections, isnt something needed fix, but if shown very good, even at some distance... One must remember by foamboard and just a "few" formers, skins between would be more or less flat and create a angle to nest panelskin. No, i even dont use a sandingblock, because the connections between skins, will anyway make som "top" and skin between a "bump" if think on a perfect rounded shape. I sand to get things even out, not to get main profile to perfect rounded shape. If wants its need be done by use of many formers inside to shape skin. Its no need use days & week just to get rid of any imperfection, its a RC plane, who mostly is ment to fly up in air, not just be some few feet from you. Fix whats look "too bad", and get past the other. :)

DSC_0914.JPG

by painting, contrast layer is done. When sanding slightly every minor error would easy show up. Out of that one can decide whats should be fixed better with eg. superlight wall filer, or just isnt "worth" fixing. Minor stuff, not "sharp" bumps/connections, isnt something needed fix, but if shown very good, even at some distance... One must remember by foamboard and just a "few" formers, skins between would be more or less flat and create a angle to nest panelskin. No, i even dont use a sandingblock, because the connections between skins, will anyway make som "top" and skin between a "bump" if think on a perfect rounded shape. I sand to get things even out, not to get main profile to perfect rounded shape. If wants its need be done by use of many formers inside to shape skin. Its no need use days & week just to get rid of any imperfection, its a RC plane, who mostly is ment to fly up in air, not just be some few feet from you. Fix whats look "too bad", and get past the other. :)

View attachment 202562
I like your priorities. That's the way I see it. (y)

leaded50

Legendary member
I like your priorities. That's the way I see it. (y)
It is like that! :cool: If wanted a perfect rounded longitudinal airplane shape, it would needed more formers, or much filler. Thats also one reason where balsa gets normally better. By its planking over more formers, it would easier create that shape, and it gets easier shaping by sanding, since have uniform material, paper & foam do differ in sanding (as a foamboard) .
Ok for a showmodel, but dont matter in air some feets away.
It depends , what wants.... and personally i dont see reason for using eg. 40h extra work, just to get it a bit better closer up. As long the worst stuff is evened out, its ok anyway, and most people dont recognize it as "error" . Just remember, even the original plane have connections, and in the modelhobby many also draw up the lines for panels.... well, then you SHOW where mainly the "errors" are in a build. But, you also hide it in a way, by getting panels more pronounced showing as a panel, than just the connection between.. You trick the brain :)

You can see it good on this two pictures here, where one is inside, with another light than outside, then it shows a lot better, even if isnt as pronounced, but will by get it shadowed at right angle.

Attachments

• chaik.png
    chaik.png
    722.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0911 (1).JPG
    DSC_0911 (1).JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
exterior are pretty much ready, more or less, and started with the painting.
Plane gonna get metallic silver as main, white wing extensions and where they trail on the wings,(reason is that dont wants any paint make the sliding places less slippery) and rear in bright crimson red. Not any original, a bit typical USSR colors, and a bit color scheme easy see in air.
DSC_0912 (1).JPG

Last edited: