Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
It’s a 4-5 minute run, 10 minute walk. Driving only takes 2 minutes.

Mine's about a 20 minute walk, 10minute run and a 5 minute drive. I can't drive yet so I sometimes have trouble getting to the field to fly. I can't run with all my airplanes(obviously) nor walk(unless I put everything is a big wagon, LOL:LOL:). My only option is to drive and there isn't always a driver available.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Same here! I can't drive yet so I sometimes have trouble getting to the field to fly. I can't run with all my airplanes(obviously) nor walk(unless I put everything is a big wagon, LOL:LOL:). My only option is to drive and there isn't always a driver available.
Yeah, I can’t drive yet either, so walking to the field with two 3D planes and a parts bag and my transmitter is kinda comical... 🤣

Wildthing

Legendary member
Mine's about a 20 minute walk, 10minute run and a 5 minute drive. I can't drive yet so I sometimes have trouble getting to the field to fly. I can't run with all my airplanes(obviously) nor walk(unless I put everything is a big wagon, LOL:LOL:). My only option is to drive and there isn't always a driver available.
Yeah, I can’t drive yet either, so walking to the field with two 3D planes and a parts bag and my transmitter is kinda comical... 🤣

Both of you the wagon is a great idea. A guy at our field that has a bad hip has his wagon, inside go all his tools and such, then he built a cradle for the planes out of FB which are held on by elastics. He loads up the inside of the wagon with tools and batteries and then sits his planes on top and has elastics to hold that on (incase it is windy out) . He actually has hooks on the side so he can hang his folding stool and bring it also. He makes only one trip from his vehicle to the field.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I went flying today! I practiced rolls mostly and a few split-S's. No crashes!!!!:)

Attachments

• DSCN7298.jpg
    DSCN7298.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN7295.jpg
    DSCN7295.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN7292.jpg
    DSCN7292.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN7289.jpg
    DSCN7289.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN7274.jpg
    DSCN7274.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN7266.jpg
    DSCN7266.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Jdk

I also strap my battery on to the bottom of my mini scout using some velcro. It is placed just between the landing gears. Just wanted to know if it would affect the performance of the plane?

Attachments

• 1590380878342909186294308257503.jpg
    1590380878342909186294308257503.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I also strap my battery on to the bottom of my mini scout using some velcro. It is placed just between the landing gears. Just wanted to know if it would affect the performance of the plane?
Having the battery in a lower position in the plane is beneficial because of the lower center of mass, act like a pendulum and creates stability.

Jdk

Im not sure what clothespin exactly means, but i just flew it before and.. well it did fly really well for the first minute, but it suddenly became quite unresponsive and moved in one direction gping further and furthee. I tried to steer it to the right little by little but it suddenly plumetted down and gone forever... Didnt know what happened, probably something went loose. Ive flown 4 airplanes in total but none succeeded. (All of the 3 swappable power pod planes and now the mini scout :( i dont know if i can show you guys the video but ill try, probably best to quit rc planes for good.. thanks for all the help.

Jdk

Screenshot_20200525-162533_Photo Editor.jpg

First pic is when it just fell straight down.
Second pic is when it started to become unresponsive. Though i managed to do a few rounds before this happened..
Screenshot_20200525-162616_Video Player.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Im not sure what clothespin exactly means, but i just flew it before and.. well it did fly really well for the first minute, but it suddenly became quite unresponsive and moved in one direction gping further and furthee. I tried to steer it to the right little by little but it suddenly plumetted down and gone forever... Didnt know what happened, probably something went loose. Ive flown 4 airplanes in total but none succeeded. (All of the 3 swappable power pod planes and now the mini scout :( i dont know if i can show you guys the video but ill try, probably best to quit rc planes for good.. thanks for all the help.
Hmm, I’m so sorry! I‘m guessing that something shifted, causing the balance to be slightly off, and then it shifted even more or fell out, causing the balance to be very far off and un-controllable. I wouldn’t give up yet though! I went through 6 planes before I could actually keep any of them in the air for more than 30 seconds, and after that I crashed a lot more of them. Being able to fly one on your 4th try you’re doing great!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Man that sucks! Do you think it was an LOS? (Loss of Signal)?

Jdk

Hmm, I’m so sorry! I‘m guessing that something shifted, causing the balance to be slightly off, and then it shifted even more or fell out, causing the balance to be very far off and un-controllable. I wouldn’t give up yet though! I went through 6 planes before I could actually keep any of them in the air for more than 30 seconds, and after that I crashed a lot more of them. Being able to fly one on your 4th try you’re doing great!

I was using an fs i6 radio transmitter. Hmm could be, because it became very unresponsive as soon as it went a bit higher and just went into that 1 direction until it just finally went down. Could be because of those huge signal towers that were quite close by. Man it really does suck, ive spent lots of my savings. You really tempt me to do it again but...yeah..

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was using an fs i6 radio transmitter. Hmm could be, because it became very unresponsive as soon as it went a bit higher and just went into that 1 direction until it just finally went down. Could be because of those huge signal towers that were quite close by. Man it really does suck, ive spent lots of my savings. You really tempt me to do it again but...yeah..
Loss of signal seriously sucks. I live out in the sticks away from all that radio frequency pollution and i was getting loss of signal due to the radio and reciever. To may planes lost. I feel ya man. I bit the bullet and spent the money on a decent Jumper T16 system. Should arrive in a month or so. I hope it works out, fingers crossed

Samh

Elite member
I personally wouldn't bother with Jumper, Turnigy or Orange radio systems. In my experience those transmitters are unreliable. I use orange receivers with my spektrum transmitter. Get a Spektrum or Futaba transmitter. Much higher quality, much more reliable.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I personally wouldn't bother with Jumper, Turnigy or Orange radio systems. In my experience those transmitters are unreliable. I use orange receivers with my spektrum transmitter. Get a Spektrum or Futaba transmitter. Much higher quality, much more reliable.
Thats funny because i have had nothing but trouble with spektrum and their DSMX/DSMP. So i switched. They do have great customer service for the most part but in the end nothing got done. I have written off Spektrum and doing Jumper. Already ordered

Samh

Elite member
Thats funny because i have had nothing but trouble with spektrum and their DSMX/DSMP. So i switched. They do have great customer service for the most part but in the end nothing got done. I have written off Spektrum and doing Jumper. Already ordered
If you use the genuine spektrum receivers with the transmitters they are super reliable. Orange receivers are less reliable which is why I use them in my foamies. My big stuff gets spektrum gear.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you use the genuine spektrum receivers with the transmitters they are super reliable. Orange receivers are less reliable which is why I use them in my foamies. My big stuff gets spektrum gear.
When i first got the spektrum gear i went through three AR620's before i moved on to aftermarket stuff. I have even tried two DXe's as well. Nothing. I have been to this rodeo with spektrum and i am exhausted with it. Maybe if i had purchased the DX6 or DX9 to begin with it would be different. I see it as if you cant get your base model to hold signal past a hundred feet then why would i spend more money to get a better model. People do have great experience with spektrum and i wish i was one of them. Just not the case