Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

OliverW

Legendary member
I won't be doing that for a while!! How does the plane stay together?
Most of them are heavily reinforced with carbon fiber
20190905_202529.jpg
hand for size comparison lol

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
1. Where should I start?
Start with your current plane.
You can do a lot with a high wing trainer. Slowly increase the throws, you will be surprised will the results. Move the control rods outward on the servo and inward on the surface. After you have learned to fly with maxed out throws. Slowly move the CG aft, this will make the plane more unstable. The amount of instability is personal choice. I like my CG around 30% of the wing cord, the MAC. Most trainers have the CG @ 25%. At each change in throws or CG, be sure to test the tip stall, it will change. Learn to fly your trainer inverted. When you can fly a high wing trainer inverted across the field, your ready to fly nearly any plane.

2. What's a good beginner aerobatic airplane? It has to be a FliteTest airplane, I can't afford a prebuilt foam one.
The Storch, Bushwhacker and Simple Cub are very capable planes. When setup as indicated above, they will do loops, rolls, spins, knife edge, rolling circles, stall turn and more.

The FT3D and a Cub of my own design with a symmetrical wing are my go to planes for 3D. I’ve been 3D for about 2 years. I would recommend these planes because they are a fast build and easy to repair. The Edge is a great plane, but it’s too complicated, a more difficult build. I’ve gone through 6-8 planes learning to 3D. Be prepared to crash more. If your not crashing, you need to fly harder.

3. Should I start with a simulator?
IMHO no, simulator are great, the planes on the sim are setup perfect. My planes never fly as good as the sim plane. Yes, use a sim, just don’t start there.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Start with your current plane.
You can do a lot with a high wing trainer. Slowly increase the throws, you will be surprised will the results. Move the control rods outward on the servo and inward on the surface. After you have learned to fly with maxed out throws. Slowly move the CG aft, this will make the plane more unstable. The amount of instability is personal choice. I like my CG around 30% of the wing cord, the MAC. Most trainers have the CG @ 25%. At each change in throws or CG, be sure to test the tip stall, it will change. Learn to fly your trainer inverted. When you can fly a high wing trainer inverted across the field, your ready to fly nearly any plane.

The Storch, Bushwhacker and Simple Cub are very capable planes. When setup as indicated above, they will do loops, rolls, spins, knife edge, rolling circles, stall turn and more.

The FT3D and a Cub of my own design with a symmetrical wing are my go to planes for 3D. I’ve been 3D for about 2 years. I would recommend these planes because they are a fast build and easy to repair. The Edge is a great plane, but it’s too complicated, a more difficult build. I’ve gone through 6-8 planes learning to 3D. Be prepared to crash more. If your not crashing, you need to fly harder.

IMHO no, simulator are great, the planes on the sim are setup perfect. My planes never fly as good as the sim plane. Yes, use a sim, just don’t start there.

Thank you very much for all the info!! Very helpful!

I'll see what I can do with my bushwhacker next time I go to the field.