Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

OliverW

Legendary member
Hi,

Since getting into fixed wing, I have only flown high wing trainer type airplanes. It's starting to get a little boring just going in circles and doing an occasional loop(I haven't even done a roll yet!:eek:). I decided I want to step it up a notch and get into some aerobatic flying, but I have no idea where to start.

I need someone to walk me through getting/building an airplane, start preforming some simple aerobatics, etc. @SquirrelTail and @Grifflyer seem like guys that could help, correct me if I'm wrong.:)(I've seen some of your videos! You guys can do some pretty cool stuff!)

Some of the questions I have are:

1. Where should I start?
2. What's a good beginner aerobatic airplane? It has to be a FliteTest airplane, I can't afford a prebuilt foam one.
3. Should I start with a simulator?

I'll have some more questions in the future.

Also, If anyone else is just getting into aerobatic flying and has questions, you are welcome to post them here!

Thanks for any help!

Jeremy
1. Start with rolls and emmelmans
2. The FT-3D is great for aerobatics from what I have heard
3. Definitely start with a simulator!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@CrazyFastFlying a simulator is good and definitely helpful for somethings, but in my experience, it wasn't as realistic as I hoped for. I built the FT-22 (shifted the CG back an inch) and used it as my inverted trainer. Flying inverted super comfortably is the first step in doing more aerobatic flying. If you're in a sketchy situation, you need to be able to pull out of it inverted. One big plus of the FT-22 is the fact that when you crash, you don't break a prop. I would go out and take it up, and flip it inverted and force myself to fly it that way, not just pull out. Pretend you're a beginner again and do simple circles. Then try figure 8's. That's what I did and it really transformed my piloting skills. The FT-3D is good, but harder to fly, so as an intro to aerobatic flying, start with something easier to build and simpler like a Spitfire or FT-22 or Scout and just fly it inverted no matter what. I hope this helps, cause it sure did for me. Have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I don't think RealFlight work on a Mac. I might be wrong.
1577838202879.png

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
@CrazyFastFlying a simulator is good and definitely helpful for somethings, but in my experience, it wasn't as realistic as I hoped for. I built the FT-22 (shifted the CG back an inch) and used it as my inverted trainer. Flying inverted super comfortably is the first step in doing more aerobatic flying. If you're in a sketchy situation, you need to be able to pull out of it inverted. One big plus of the FT-22 is the fact that when you crash, you don't break a prop. I would go out and take it up, and flip it inverted and force myself to fly it that way, not just pull out. Pretend you're a beginner again and do simple circles. Then try figure 8's. That's what I did and it really transformed my piloting skills. The FT-3D is good, but harder to fly, so as an intro to aerobatic flying, start with something easier to build and simpler like a Spitfire or FT-22 or Scout and just fly it inverted no matter what. I hope this helps, cause it sure did for me. Have fun!

That's great advise! Thank you!

I need a plane that will work with either a 1050mah or a 2200mah 3s battery.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's great advise! Thank you!

I need a plane that will work with either a 1050mah or a 2200mah 3s battery.
The FT-22 will fit that ticket perfect. I ran my 1000mah 3s and 1500mah 3s in there no problem. The spitfire would do great on the 2200mah 3s and you could probably put them in the FT-22 as well. The scout is a little tricky as you have hardly any room to move the battery.