Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

mach1 rc

Master member
Why are you yanking the plane around? You need to develop a smooth hand approach to your controls.
Why are you rushing the manuavers? A nice smooth transition is needed.
Do you have a gyro on?

Research a tail dragger's way to take off properly. Tell me the proper steps. It will explain why many yank it(or by brute power) it off, it rolls and crashes.
Ok I'll try to fly smoother and no I dont have a gyro on it. It has the option of a gyro but I didn't use it. I researched it and it said to raise the tail just enough for the angle of attack to be enough to take off. Thanks😃

L Edge

Master member
Ok I'll try to fly smoother and no I dont have a gyro on it. It has the option of a gyro but I didn't use it. I researched it and it said to raise the tail just enough for the angle of attack to be enough to take off. Thanks😃

What about the throttle and how do you control direction to keep it straight?

When do you lift off? Poor researching.

You need to look at all the factors to complete the answer to do it right. What about cross winds?

See what I mean? If you understand what is going on, then you are prepared.

Also, be observant as to what is going on to learn.

Last edited:

mach1 rc

Master member
What about the throttle and how do you control direction to keep it straight?

When do you lift off? Poor researching.

You need to look at all the factors to complete the answer to do it right. What about cross winds?

See what I mean? If you understand what is going on, then you are prepared.

Also, be observant as to what is going on to learn.
Ok once your tail lifts off the ground you loose traction and you have to use rudder to keep it straight

mach1 rc

Master member
So recently I've been trying to teach myself some aerobatics on my sukhoi. The sukhoi is good for some aerobatics but it doesn't have side force generators and its heavy. So when I tried using the edge 540 it seemed a lot better in high alpha and knife edges.
videohttps://photos.app.goo.gl/aGL6CL46ViPHpeQ89
20200112_191422.jpg
20200112_191501.jpg
20200112_191527.jpg
Screenshot_20200112-190909_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

L Edge

Master member
What makes knife edge and high alpha easy is the end plates.

1) you are still rough in tx control. Have you ever tried to pulse the controls for
a) it will tell you if you are going the right direction and will make the movement smoother. That should be your new approach.
2) You do not have enough rudder to do your knife edge. An acrobatic plane doesn't have endplates if designed right.

How do you know a stall is close? Answer- by moving controls and if it is sloppy in movement, you are close. That is including using the rudder along with a/e control to prevent the roll.

You need to practice slow flight and spending a number of flights do it. Your going to wreck that plane if you don't stay 2-3 crash heights.
Not only reg, but inverted. Remember slow is the theme...................

Then we will work on takeoffs and landings for a tail dragger.

So practice until you can do it both directions and upside down then show me a video.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I'm wondering why not turn the brake on all my planes then? Is there a downside to the brake being on?

I don't think there's any real downside. Except that you might have a greater likelihood of breaking a prop. I believe that one of the Experimental Airlines videos speaks to this issue.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It funny because I never used the brake until I tried it a few weeks ago. Bench testing the brake in the garage 90% of the time that I dropped throttle the prop would brake in the horizontal position. So I took the plane out for a test spin and it would stop vertical every time, I would come in for approach and cut throttle. The prop would stop vertical, I would power up and pull out, next approach vertical again. This happened 4 times in a row, needless to say I don't use the brake anymore

L Edge

Master member
It funny because I never used the brake until I tried it a few weeks ago. Bench testing the brake in the garage 90% of the time that I dropped throttle the prop would brake in the horizontal position. So I took the plane out for a test spin and it would stop vertical every time, I would come in for approach and cut throttle. The prop would stop vertical, I would power up and pull out, next approach vertical again. This happened 4 times in a row, needless to say I don't use the brake anymore

I'll drink to that. That's why you go to having a landing gear to save the destruction.

Last edited:

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
@L Edge today was a beautiful day for flying so I ran 3 packs through the mini edge. I spent most of the time flying in knife edge.it has greatly improved and after a couple more flying sessions I will get video to show you my progress.

Awesome! I'm planning on going flying tomorrow afternoon. It's going to be warm and sunny. I think I'll practice loops, rolls and maybe some inverted.