Robbie's Supercharged Racing Build!!!

jipp

i run extra long screws in my frame to help prevent that. got the idea from bruce.. he recommend such.
cheap insurance. since my kit cam with very small screws.. so now i just use 13mm long that goes into the aluminum.. im gonna buy a m3 crash kit i think with screws as long as 15mm long.. i may try them them.. if i can get it to where there say only 10-15mm of space in the center of the aluminum pillars/columns.. that part will not be a broken part in a crash. .

chris.

Robbie

i run extra long screws in my frame to help prevent that. got the idea from bruce.. he recommend such.
cheap insurance. since my kit cam with very small screws.. so now i just use 13mm long that goes into the aluminum.. im gonna buy a m3 crash kit i think with screws as long as 15mm long.. i may try them them.. if i can get it to where there say only 10-15mm of space in the center of the aluminum pillars/columns.. that part will not be a broken part in a crash. .

chris.

Yeh thats a good idea - I am running about 10mm screws to add strength.

I haven't got round to measuring AUW yet, but guessing its around 850g with FPV kit on

I will tell you when i get round to it

Robbie

I put Boris B's Beta flight on quad and it flies like a dream, i also no longer have to worry about loop time and the stock PIDs worked extremily well and i only needed minor tweaking.

I would really reccomend them.

I really admire the way Boris B actually works to improve the hobby, rather then just ranting at people on the forums who do use the equipment they think is best (cough cough Time Cop and FGA).

I would really reccomend betaflight to everyone,

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Robbie where did you get betaflight and how do you upload it to the Naze? I heard its somewhere in borisbstyle/cleanflight on Github, but I'm not sure what file to get. I'm thinking of trying it out next weekend.

Also just noticed that CF 1.10 is out Now I don't know what firmware to try :p

Last edited:

Ocean

Robbie where did you get betaflight and how do you upload it to the Naze? I heard its somewhere in borisbstyle/cleanflight on Github, but I'm not sure what file to get. I'm thinking of trying it out next weekend.

Also just noticed that CF 1.10 is out Now I don't know what firmware to try :p

Go BetaFlight, it is substantially better. Also Boris and his team have also done loads of work to make sure the F1 still gives good performance.

Click this link.

Select betaflight_naze.hex.

Right click on Raw, then click Save link as. And save the file.

Then upload to the Naze.

Robbie

Go BetaFlight, it is substantially better. Also Boris and his team have also done loads of work to make sure the F1 still gives good performance.

Click this link.

Select betaflight_naze.hex.

Right click on Raw, then click Save link as. And save the file.

Then upload to the Naze.

Yup, thats what i did

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Thanks guys I will definitely be trying BetaFlight out next weekend. Do I just use the CF configuration to flash it? Now I'm getting excited to fly!

Robbie

Thanks guys I will definitely be trying BetaFlight out next weekend. Do I just use the CF configuration to flash it? Now I'm getting excited to fly!

Yeh i just clicked load local firmware on cf and then flashed, then i tuned the PIDs to:
set pid_controller = 1
set p_pitch = 56
set i_pitch = 27
set d_pitch = 70
set p_roll = 33
set i_roll = 27
set d_roll = 48
set p_yaw = 91
set i_yaw = 65
set d_yaw = 30
set p_pitchf = 1.500
set i_pitchf = 0.400
set d_pitchf = 0.030
set p_rollf = 1.500
set i_rollf = 0.400
set d_rollf = 0.030
set p_yawf = 3.500
set i_yawf = 0.900
set d_yawf = 0.000
set level_horizon = 3.000
set level_angle = 5.000
set sensitivity_horizon = 75
set p_alt = 50
set i_alt = 0
set d_alt = 0
set p_level = 90
set i_level = 10
set d_level = 100
set p_vel = 120
set i_vel = 45
set d_vel = 1
set yaw_p_limit = 500
set dterm_cut_hz = 40

# dump rates

# rateprofile
rateprofile 0

set rc_rate = 100
set rc_expo = 70
set rc_yaw_expo = 20
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 0
set roll_rate = 60
set pitch_rate = 60
set yaw_rate = 65
set tpa_rate = 50
set tpa_breakpoint = 1500

^^^That should give you a good base to tune from, what frame are you running?

Robbie

not heard of betaflight. its good to know there is another option.

chris.

It's brilliant, Boris B has basically worked really hard to make the F1 chip as good as the F3 chip, so those of us who can't afford to buy the latest kit can get a similar experience to someone flying an SP raciong 3, with our Naze32.

Another Key thing he did is, he got rid of loop time and just made the cycletime refresh with the gyro, mine has dropped from a looptime of 2000 to 1000 and i can really feel the difference.

jipp

yeah, FC can get expensive in a hurry.. i spent 94.00 for a sparky II; birthday gift to my self.. i will be so pissed if i ruin it on a crash on my first flight.. compared say to a 20.00 FC.. so sounds like a good project..

im assuming the project will continue to grow.

chris.

Ocean

yeah, FC can get expensive in a hurry.. i spent 94.00 for a sparky II; birthday gift to my self.. i will be so pissed if i ruin it on a crash on my first flight.. compared say to a 20.00 FC.. so sounds like a good project..

im assuming the project will continue to grow.

chris.
I hope the sparky 2 becomes a target for clean flight. I think having a build in 433 module is a great idea.

The idea is that once beta flight is stable it will be merged with clean flight periodically. So everyone can enjoy the better flight experience of beta flight but still get the support for additional features like clean flight has.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
chris.

I'm looking forward to see what you think about TauLabs Chris. I have been wanting to try it, but never put the money down for a Sparky. Are you planning to attach a GPS and do some position hold/RTH experimentation?

jipp

I'm looking forward to see what you think about TauLabs Chris. I have been wanting to try it, but never put the money down for a Sparky. Are you planning to attach a GPS and do some position hold/RTH experimentation?

yeah that is the overall plan for a AP build. i figure i can learn the sparky II some with teh ZMR fpv ( lots to learn from installing FPV, and getting to work to flying with FPV etc.. also need a 7" screen figure i can use that with the AP to help frame a shot etc.. that goggles would not be ideal for id imagine.. ) and of course the advance features in ground control software.. i like CC3D, so the tau etc make sense to explore.. my doctor has not release me fully, as my leg is not healing well but he said go live and we will keep a eye on it.. so i can be more active and will just have to go slow.. as my leg is pretty bad shape. anyhow that is the plan.. etc.. while i get the parts etc for the AP.
but i do look forward to playing with the advance functions.. however, i only have a DX6i.. so before i can take advantage of the FC im gonna have to upgrade to a radio with more channels.

i need to list a few items i think on ebay.. so i can have enough money up front buy a better radio with more channels.
so i will have the channels needed to play with the board, and also a gimbal,extracting landing gear, and turn on/off LED.. etc.. you know all them things you need extra channels for. heh.

chris.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Sounds like a good future build. I myself am planning an AP build this winter, but I think I will be going with a closed source FC just so I can get AP flight features right away. Either that or a pixhawk. I like opensource platforms and tuning PIDs on miniquads is great, but my success with an AP platform thus far has been negligible and I really don't have the time or energy to tune altitude hold, GPS hold, RTH, etc. Anyway it's all in the planning stages and I should have a thread about it sometime mid November.

Glad to hear you are doing well Chris. I hope you can get out an enjoy more than just your nanoQX, but don't over stress yourself. I think the forum would definitely help you out if you made some Ebay listings to fund your new radio.

jipp

Sounds like a good future build. I myself am planning an AP build this winter, but I think I will be going with a closed source FC just so I can get AP flight features right away. Either that or a pixhawk. I like opensource platforms and tuning PIDs on miniquads is great, but my success with an AP platform thus far has been negligible and I really don't have the time or energy to tune altitude hold, GPS hold, RTH, etc. Anyway it's all in the planning stages and I should have a thread about it sometime mid November.

Glad to hear you are doing well Chris. I hope you can get out an enjoy more than just your nanoQX, but don't over stress yourself. I think the forum would definitely help you out if you made some Ebay listings to fund your new radio.

thanks man. yeah im gonna go slow and hope my leg gets better and not worse.. but the swelling is not going away so who knows.. but im not gonna get down.. just take it one day at a time.

i hear ya on robot FC. i have thought about that too. but i honestly would not know which one to pick.. and it seems they all cost around 150.00 or so. i was thinking since i plan on going with a tarrot carbon frame 6** size.. maybe the tarrot FC would be the way to go.. but yeah that is down the road.. we will see what happens. i figure it will be closer to end of winter before i start the AP build. a new radio will be nice.. id be ok with the DX if it had 9ch i think. im just thinking my next radio needs at least 8ch. but that is something ill have to start look into.. im thinking a taranis is the smart way to go.. as no way could i out grow it.. but on the other hand i do like how idiot proof the DX is. have a good day.
chris.

How is the durability of the ZMr250 V2? I'm contemplating between a frame that has changable arms or a unibody design. So am wondering which is actually the better option.

jipp

id say go with the ones you can replace the arms. nelson on here has a thread talking about the money and time wasted because of that unibody single piece bottom plate. he had to rebuild his a couple of times and that bottom plate was 60.00 a pop.. that adds up in a hurry...

you will be happy with the zmr frame. cheaper and much easier to replace a arm.. and with 4mm, and a 5mm option. i think you will be flying more than breaking arms. that is my opinion.
chris.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I would definitely recommend a modular frame as well, unless it's a 180mm class. 180mm class mini's don't really have the mass to break a unibody frame. . .unless you're exceedingly unlucky.

But the larger >250mm mini's do. And even if you don't actually crack the unibody plate, you may eventually get where the plate is so chinked, scarred and abraded, it just looks like crap. But it does give it character. :black_eyed: