Robbie's Supercharged Racing Build!!!

Robbie

How is the durability of the ZMr250 V2? I'm contemplating between a frame that has changable arms or a unibody design. So am wondering which is actually the better option.

STAY AWAY FROM UNIBODY. if you break an arm which WILL happen you have to spend 60 replacing the whole body. there are very few advantages if any to a unibody.

FGA even claims (not sure how scientifically true this is) that becasue of the angle of the arms and how the unibody has to be cut, the unibody arms are not as strong because the carbon weave is not at a strong angle with the arms.

Tbh high i would only go unibody for 180 or smaller, all bigger quads simply carry too much momentrum and force into crashes.

Thanks! Looking for a new frame after the relatively hard to repair Vortex. Looks like I'll be getting a ZMR250 then.
Where do the 5mm arms come from? I've only seen the 4mm ones from fpvmodel.com.

Also, how are you guys tilting the camera?

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
A good place to get the ZMR in the US is BuddyRC. They have both the carbon and composite frames. For 5mm you can get Thug Arms from the UK, and I think jipp knows some other good places. Honestly I think you'll be fine with the stock 3mm arms. I still use mine and they are holding up, but buying spares now may save you time later.

My camera is attached to the ZMR camera plate with two rubber bands crossing each other. Sounds sketchy, but it works well. To angle it I have a chunk of wood hot glued to the top of the plate, which pushes the front of the camera away, while the bottom stays against the plate. I started with a chopstick width first (I used a chopstick), and now I have something close to 1/2" to angle the camera. Wish I had a picture, but unfortunately I'm not near my quad right now.

Last edited:

Ocean

I use a HS1177 Sony Mini Had 600TVL.

I 3d printed this camera mount to use and works a treat so far.

I found mounting the board camera by far the hardest thing to do on a miniquad, especially if it is a unusual size.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
wow how are those motors working for you im really interested in those im looking to supercharge my nighthawk

Robbie

wow how are those motors working for you im really interested in those im looking to supercharge my nighthawk

They work really well, have had no issues, they are fine on 4S though come out of a flight pretty toasty.

Make sure you use a least 30A ESCs (i find the RG30s work well). And i would buy a 5th motor as they are so cheap its not that much more expensive and the last thing you want is to be grounded while you wait for slow chinese shipping.

The motors do use collets which you may not like but in all honesty I haven't had a single prop chuck yet and they work really well (though they are are slightly heavier)

Robbie

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Yeh i just clicked load local firmware on cf and then flashed, then i tuned the PIDs to:
set pid_controller = 1
set p_pitch = 56
set i_pitch = 27
set d_pitch = 70
set p_roll = 33
set i_roll = 27
set d_roll = 48
set p_yaw = 91
set i_yaw = 65
set d_yaw = 30
set p_pitchf = 1.500
set i_pitchf = 0.400
set d_pitchf = 0.030
set p_rollf = 1.500
set i_rollf = 0.400
set d_rollf = 0.030
set p_yawf = 3.500
set i_yawf = 0.900
set d_yawf = 0.000
set level_horizon = 3.000
set level_angle = 5.000
set sensitivity_horizon = 75
set p_alt = 50
set i_alt = 0
set d_alt = 0
set p_level = 90
set i_level = 10
set d_level = 100
set p_vel = 120
set i_vel = 45
set d_vel = 1
set yaw_p_limit = 500
set dterm_cut_hz = 40

# dump rates

# rateprofile
rateprofile 0

set rc_rate = 100
set rc_expo = 70
set rc_yaw_expo = 20
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 0
set roll_rate = 60
set pitch_rate = 60
set yaw_rate = 65
set tpa_rate = 50
set tpa_breakpoint = 1500

^^^That should give you a good base to tune from, what frame are you running?

Oh man did not see this post until now. I am running a ZMR250 frame carbon composite with no add ons. I flashed Boris B Betaflight today and immediately had an issue with only one motor working. Probably an easy fix with some research, but I did not have the time and realized that I would also not have time to re tune this weekend. So I went back to CF 1.9.0 with my favorite PIDs. Still have some issues there with kickback after rolls and flips.

Does anyone know how to get incredibly fast rolls and flips without making the multirotor getting too squirrelly? I'm running really high rates and expo. Any more rates and I can't tame it down to fly smooth with expo.

Ocean

Oh man did not see this post until now. I am running a ZMR250 frame carbon composite with no add ons. I flashed Boris B Betaflight today and immediately had an issue with only one motor working. Probably an easy fix with some research, but I did not have the time and realized that I would also not have time to re tune this weekend. So I went back to CF 1.9.0 with my favorite PIDs. Still have some issues there with kickback after rolls and flips.

Does anyone know how to get incredibly fast rolls and flips without making the multirotor getting too squirrelly? I'm running really high rates and expo. Any more rates and I can't tame it down to fly smooth with expo.

I believe that High Roll and Pitch Rate decrease PIDs as you move away from centre stick, having the effect of 'super-expo'.

Both Robbie and I are having stability issues with BetaFlight, so we are being cautious currently...

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I believe that High Roll and Pitch Rate decrease PIDs as you move away from centre stick, having the effect of 'super-expo'.

Both Robbie and I are having stability issues with BetaFlight, so we are being cautious currently...

Hmm I thought coupling rates and PIDs was only for some PID controllers, and not luxfloat. I'll have to check and do some testing of my own.

What kind of stability issues are you finding? Instability in flight or in the firmware itself. So far I've heard nothing but good about Betaflight.

Also I found out that my issue with only one motor spinning with Betaflight is because my ESCs need to be updated to Blheli 14.1. Also on that note does anyone know if you can reverse motor direction with blheli 14.1 through the Naze? I know with blheli 14.1 you can program certain stuff directly from the naze.

Robbie

Yeh i had to stop using beta flight because both Ocean and mines quads would just shut off sometimes midflight with no explanation, touch wood it hasn't happened since after switching to CF1.9.0 but i am getting that annoying kickback from rolls and i cant get rid of it, no matter how much i manipulate the D.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Yeh i had to stop using beta flight because both Ocean and mines quads would just shut off sometimes midflight with no explanation

That's unfortunate. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing that with betaflight.

TXBob

Sounds like the failsafe bug everyone was talking about. I had the issue a couple of times a couple of weeks or so ago, but not at all in the last couple of builds.

You might want to try the latest build. It has my quad flying better than anything else I've tried. I didn't even have to touch the PID's (PIDC 2).

Bob

Ocean

Sounds like the failsafe bug everyone was talking about. I had the issue a couple of times a couple of weeks or so ago, but not at all in the last couple of builds.

You might want to try the latest build. It has my quad flying better than anything else I've tried. I didn't even have to touch the PID's (PIDC 2).

Bob

Thanks for the headsup. Sounds like exactly what I was experiencing, the quad would failsafe mid flip.

I'm going to update to the latest build and see what happens, I prefer so PID 1 so I will stick with that.

Robbie

Bob

Oh that seems awesome, i will try the latest version of beta flight, I already have the PIDs I need so can't wait :)

It just flies soooooooo much better than CF1.9.1

DC Will

Yeh i had to stop using beta flight because both Ocean and mines quads would just shut off sometimes midflight with no explanation, touch wood it hasn't happened since after switching to CF1.9.0 but i am getting that annoying kickback from rolls and i cant get rid of it, no matter how much i manipulate the D.

So......many.......things......to.......laugh ........at