Rocket chase.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all,
As the title suggests, I am going to be filming a 6' tall, f sized rocket with a GoPro zagi.
The setup will be, a Zagi 400, remotored with a FloaterJet motor, or a 28-26 6, an 850 Mah 60c 3 cell, and a 30 or 50 amp esc, and of coarse the GoPro.

My plan is to approach the launchsite, firewall the throttle, then give the rocket operator the signal to fire at 500-450 feet away, then pitch up sharply, and follow the rocket for 10-15 seconds, then throttle back to 75% power, and climb steeply to get footage of the chute and rocket.
A rocket boost may be employed if the first launch cannot be followed.
My tests show that I can maintain 100 % power on a 7x6 (actually a cut down 10x6) prop for only 10 seconds on the Floater motor, and about 30 seconds on the 28-26.
Thanks, Foam Addict.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thanks for the response teach!
Because the weight would be unbelievably high with a high amperage or voltage set up I am looking for the highest burst power for the lowest weight, hence the tiny lipo and small motor. I will run the 28-26-6, with a 50 or 60 amp ESC.
I have also decided to run a twin D 12 rocket setup if I can find a plugged set.
Basically, the goal is to follow a rocket capable of 170-180 mph as closely as possible, What could possibly go wrong?:cool:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Unfortunately, this fell through from the rocket end. The Zagi is still fine and dandy. All 800 watts of it!

Forklift

<o> <3 FT
As a fellow rocketeer, I would love to see the effort. Please post some pics of your setup, even though you aborted. Maybe if you share what we t wrong we can work it out.

Jason, i saw that video earlier, its way cool! Very stable cam footage. Would love to see what other goodies the x program might have.