Rookie from the MidWest - 3D Printing, first time Foamies and More

IamTheGriz

Hi Everyone,
I have been a avid viewer of FT for a year or so. I love the content and the videos that show how awesome the community can be. i think that was as much of a push for me to join this forum and try out rc flight as was my love for old war birds and the feeling of freedom that flight can give you.

While never flying a airplane before, I have had many multi rotors with most of my time being with big quads, and DIY hexs
for photography and video. since I was 13 I have always had some form of surface RC starting out ST racing in the late 90s, then to buggies which progressed to dirt track oval and nitro 1/8th scale. out of everything tho..my biggest love is RC 4x4s

MYJerps.jpg

TheDefender.jpg

TheFC.jpg

TheFC2.jpg

TheJKU2.jpg

TheCat.jpg

I have been building Comp and scale crawlers for almost 8 years now. i would not be the builder i am today if not for the help and support of people in that community.

When i have the time between my job and being a father of four awesome kids ( 8,6,4,and 2) you can always find me tinkering on something that peaks my interest. i build computers/work stations/ miners, work on peoples RC trucks and boats or my own, doing crazy stuff to my kids power wheels. I have plans to take my garage shop off the grid and power everything via solar and a diy power wall. I have built my own 3d printer. I really have no limit..if it can by modified, customized, tweaked or twerked you can probably talk me into it.

so that all brings me full circle to why I am here.
with the summer coming to a close and the rc crawling season going with it, I wanted to find something to do for the winter. I was rebuilding one of my printers a few weeks ago while watching the tubes when the FT video of the P-38 from 3DLabPrints started playing. I had seen this before but my mindset at the time instantly got me interested. I decided "sure, that's what im doing this winter, building some airplanes".

After doing some reading and watching for a week I knew it wasn't the best idea to start off with printed planes but I already had a good pile of filament laying around the house and for a lack of any other excuse... I couldn't Help myself... I got to work. plus my wife wouldn't have liked me coming home from the hobby shop with a bunch of foam kits no matter the price point just because I had another itch LOL

There are so many designs you can find when you google for 3D printed aircrafts but the ones from a creator who goes by Carletto73 looked really great. they stuck out the most to me because they felt like the FT speed build kits. They are easy to print, easy to assemble, use cheap electronics, have a high success rate and most of all are easy to fix when they crash. I am mostly finished with the GASB One and Three and plan to print number two after I finish these. I do not expect to go out tomorrow and fly these but it doesn't hurt to have them on the wall for when I feel comfortable enough with something that cant stop on a dime like a multirotor when I decide im getting to close to that tree... I foresee many a giant wall of foam SB kits already.

here are a couple photos of my progress so far and some links to Carletto's work. I will share more in my build log. I would love to hear from others that have tried some 3d planes, especially if you have printed one of these. I am sure I will be diving deep into some of the sub forums here in the coming months to learn from this great community and grow. I am looking forward to sharing my successes and failures with you all and getting to know everyone. maybe we will meet in person next year at horizon or Flight Fest

Cheers

GASB - ONE - Flying wing - Carletto73
GASB-TWO- EDF -Carletto73
GASB-THREE- Carletto73
GASB_Three1.jpg

GASB13.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
quite happy with how this turned out. hope to have it flying very soon.
View attachment 142320
Welcome! THAT looks like a handful to fly! It's cool as crap, though! If you're new to flight, throwing that into the air is probably not a path to a successful first flight.

I could be wrong. I often am. ;) I'm going to suggest for your first foray into RC aircraft that you start with a trainer. Many of us had success with the Tiny Trainer. It's easy to build from the plans, no need to bring the kit home from the hobby store. It'll teach you not only 3 channel flight, but you can then progress with the same plane and a different wing to 4 channel flight, which is where the fun is.

Whatever your decision, I'm glad you're here. You've come to the right place for advice, information and encouragement. Please do take video of your flights, if you've the capability. Just put them up on youtube and you can drop the link here in the forum. We're junkies for that kind of stuff. :p Welcome to our Forum Family! :)

IamTheGriz

Welcome! THAT looks like a handful to fly! It's cool as crap, though! If you're new to flight, throwing that into the air is probably not a path to a successful first flight.

I could be wrong. I often am. ;) I'm going to suggest for your first foray into RC aircraft that you start with a trainer. Many of us had success with the Tiny Trainer. It's easy to build from the plans, no need to bring the kit home from the hobby store. It'll teach you not only 3 channel flight, but you can then progress with the same plane and a different wing to 4 channel flight, which is where the fun is.

Whatever your decision, I'm glad you're here. You've come to the right place for advice, information and encouragement. Please do take video of your flights, if you've the capability. Just put them up on youtube and you can drop the link here in the forum. We're junkies for that kind of stuff. :p Welcome to our Forum Family! :)

thanks!! yeah lol this is definitely not a beginner plane. I do not plan to just chuck this guy out on my first day at the field. but it was just to cool to not print out. there will be a lot of foamies i will be building soon as well with plans on doing some fun 3d printed addons and mods to some of the FT line up when i get around to them. and i will without a doubt try to share as much carnage and success via video as possible!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
thanks!! yeah lol this is definitely not a beginner plane. I do not plan to just chuck this guy out on my first day at the field. but it was just to cool to not print out. there will be a lot of foamies i will be building soon as well with plans on doing some fun 3d printed addons and mods to some of the FT line up when i get around to them. and i will without a doubt try to share as much carnage and success via video as possible!
You've got the right spirit! There are a lot of members here with 3d printers. (I wish I were one of them. :() They're doing some amazing stuff from just a cockpit instrument panel to power pods and strengtheners, to you name it. Here's a link to a current group build going on. @bracesport and @CarolineTyler are using their 3d printing capabilities to make a wonderful plane even better!

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spit-roasted-fb.59444/