Rotatory tool flex shaft in a drill???? Help please!!!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I have been wondering for some time if it would be possible to use one of these flexible shafts with a drill.
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Flexible-Attachment-Extension

41tGWzgs8qL._AC_.jpg
51J8wI7khyL._AC_SL1290_.jpg

Wouldn't it be possible to use it? Do the drills have low rpm, would it affect the performance somewhat?
I would like to be able to use it for small drills, some small saw blade to cut small wood strips or cut/polish some screw or control rod.
Would it work?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've never tried this, I believe it would work. I'm not sure how well it would work.
These kinds of tools are mostly used at much higher RPM's, in the 20,000+ range. Drills are much slower, in the 2-3,000 rpm range.

I've got a type Dremel tool that I use all the time, they are very useful.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I've never tried this, I believe it would work. I'm not sure how well it would work.
These kinds of tools are mostly used at much higher RPM's, in the 20,000+ range. Drills are much slower, in the 2-3,000 rpm range.

I've got a type Dremel tool that I use all the time, they are very useful.
A dremel would be ideal, but I can't find one around here. However, receiving a flexible shaft is an acceptable option.
The difference between the RPMs is considerable. It may not work.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have tried using a drill to start a glow engine, if everything is prefect, it will start. A drill is much slower than an electric starter.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have been wondering for some time if it would be possible to use one of these flexible shafts with a drill.
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Flexible-Attachment-Extension

41tGWzgs8qL._AC_.jpg
51J8wI7khyL._AC_SL1290_.jpg

Wouldn't it be possible to use it? Do the drills have low rpm, would it affect the performance somewhat?
I would like to be able to use it for small drills, some small saw blade to cut small wood strips or cut/polish some screw or control rod.
Would it work?

Yes you can use a drill with these.. However..They tend to be too slow for the tool tips made for dremel tools. they usually use a MUCH higher rpm. The second thing is too much torque. Specially when cutting. a dremel tool will stall if it binds during a cut where a drill will muscle thru it and twist the bejeebus out of that flex tube and possibly throw the drill around until shut off.

Bottom line is yes it can be done but for safety and best operation is no dont use it.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Yes you can use a drill with these.. However..They tend to be too slow for the tool tips made for dremel tools. they usually use a MUCH higher rpm. The second thing is too much torque. Specially when cutting. a dremel tool will stall if it binds during a cut where a drill will muscle thru it and twist the bejeebus out of that flex tube and possibly throw the drill around until shut off.

Bottom line is yes it can be done but for safety and best operation is no dont use it.
OHHHH, i see. thank you for the warning!!! i won;t do it. Thank you!!!!

Piotrsko

Master member
With a Shafted system, as mentioned before, you need speed not power to do the work. Taking off smaller bits of material faster does the work. Drill a hole in a metal shaft prop adapter spinner, use a pump nut, or a threaded collar, piece of copper/brass tube. I dunno, you're the king of adaptive innovation.