Rotor Bones Yaw mechanism question

klonaton

Have any of you found your Rotor Bones yaw mech is wobbly? Seems like the parts don't fit perfectly (specifically the brackets that hold the dowel and the pivot axel). I'm wondering if it's advisable to use any glue on there to firm it up. My pivoting motor is wobbling all over the place and I'm worried it's going to get unstable at higher speeds.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I was going to ask the same thing. I don't have any tilts since mine are quads and hexes, but those fit very tightly together with no slop. My only issue so far with the Rotorbones is my own doing. I was getting vibration in the mount but I was using motors that were much larger than they are rated for.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Take some pictures, post them here, because that doesn't sound right at all. Mine was a very tight fit, everything is super snug, even after many crashes.

klonaton

Take some pictures, post them here, because that doesn't sound right at all. Mine was a very tight fit, everything is super snug, even after many crashes.

Here are some photos. If it's unclear, the loose parts are the ones attached to the dowel, not the pivoting upper deck. photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo.jpg

earthsciteach

I'm thinking the wood dowel is "out of spec." I had to sand mine to get them to slide into place. VERY tight fit.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Here are some photos. If it's unclear, the loose parts are the ones attached to the dowel, not the pivoting upper deck. View attachment 11695

Your wood dowel is definitely small. You shouldn't be able to fit the servo wire through the opening (where you have it.) It's designed for 1/2" or 13mm wood dowels. I'm sure you can still make this work though. Maybe add a skim coat of hot glue to each side of the wood to build it up. This might be enough to remove the slop.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Another shim method that works great with wood booms is to take ordinary wood glue and wet a strip of old t-shirt the width of the opening. Three or four wraps would give the boom an additional 3-4mm of cross section in each dimension. Of course, let the glue set before re-assembly. :p

Wrapping with wetted wood glue is also a great repair method for a cracked wood boom.