Rotor Bones

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The Flite Test Rotor Bones are multi-rotor accessories designed to offer a durable, cost effective option for building your own multi-copter.

For more information check out the store! http://shop.flitetest.com/multirotors

RB - 1.jpg RB - 6.jpg

Additional components mentioned in this epsiode:

Control Board:
Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board

Motors:
Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv
Blue Wonder (2712-12 24G) - LazerToyz.com

Speed Controllers:
Turnigy Speed Controllers

Propellers:
8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Flouro Yellow)
8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Red)
8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Blue)

RB - 4.jpg RB - 2.jpg RB - 7.jpg RB - 3.jpg RB - 5.jpg
RB - 8.jpg RB - 10.jpg RB - 9.jpg RB - 11.jpg RB - 13.jpg RB - 12.jpg RB - 14.jpg

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
This is my favorite episode to date!

I am online every morning (and a couple of times throughout the day) checking on the availability of the Bat Bone. Can't wait for that one!

I really like that Josh Scott has taken so well to multi-rotors, and if there is any room in the flitetest store for another multi-rotor kit, or complete aircraft, I think one is deserving of his namesake (sorry Bix, you already have your own plane.).

Okay, now I'm off to go check if the Bat Bone is available yet... Keep'em coming guys!

SeanDuffy

A Couple of Questions

Hey, I've already posted a comment on the article page, but I just thought I'd make a post on here too incase anyone else can help me out.

First of all I'd like to say that this new series of kits/parts has got me very excited, I thought the swappables were a great idea and since I'm most interested in quadcopters I was over the moon when I saw these, so thanks for bringing us such great stuff!

Now, on to the questions. I'm considering purchasing your quadcopter bones kit, although I'd like a little more clarification on parts, since I'm not very experienced in building and although I've been trying to recognise the parts in the video, it's been difficult for me to do so. From what I've managed to spot, you're using the Turnigy Park 300 motors that you linked to on the quadcopter, is this correct? And also on the page for those, Hobbyking recommend the 10A ESCs, but from what I can see you're using the 15A ones, is it preferable to go with the 15A ones just incase?

The other thing I'd like to ask about is a lipo to go on this thing. I assume you're using a 3S, if this is the case what would be a good battery to go with, to get a decent flight time of over ten minutes?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'd appreciate it very much if you could give me some of this information, and I'm sure there's some others who are wondering about these same things and would appreciate it too.

Kind regards,

Sean

Dane

and I'm sure there's some others who are wondering about these same things and would appreciate it too.

^ Me too. I have never own a multirotor, and I am new to radio control in the first place. Would love a listing of components you would need.

I really like that Josh Scott has taken so well to multi-rotors, and if there is any room in the flitetest store for another multi-rotor kit, or complete aircraft, I think one is deserving of his namesake (sorry Bix, you already have your own plane.).

The scott-copter?

Last edited:

Splatwillicrash

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!

I echo Sean's questions, we love the product, and want to build it FAST!!!! We need the info so we don't waste money or time guessing on what we are supposed to purchase!!:)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
This may make me turn to the darkside... If I ever had 3 identical motors in one place at one time!:rolleyes:
In all seriousness, excellent work Chad, you are an aircraft genius.

.Joel

you're using the Turnigy Park 300 motors that you linked to on the quadcopter, is this correct? And also on the page for those, Hobbyking recommend the 10A ESCs, but from what I can see you're using the 15A ones, is it preferable to go with the 15A ones just incase?

I'm going to hedge a guess here that's because the motors are rated for 8x3.8 and they're running 8x4.5 so it may draw a little more than the maximum advertised on the hobbyking page. Either way whatever escs you get, consider flashing them with either simonK or bheli depending on what chips are on your escs.

.Joel

On a quad, 3S 2200 to 3000.
On a hex, 3S 3300 to 5000.

Remember, these are very light frames so you can afford to throw extra battery capacity there to give it some more weight.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Now, on to the questions. I'm considering purchasing your quadcopter bones kit, although I'd like a little more clarification on parts, since I'm not very experienced in building and although I've been trying to recognise the parts in the video, it's been difficult for me to do so. From what I've managed to spot, you're using the Turnigy Park 300 motors that you linked to on the quadcopter, is this correct? And also on the page for those, Hobbyking recommend the 10A ESCs, but from what I can see you're using the 15A ones, is it preferable to go with the 15A ones just incase?

The other thing I'd like to ask about is a lipo to go on this thing. I assume you're using a 3S, if this is the case what would be a good battery to go with, to get a decent flight time of over ten minutes?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'd appreciate it very much if you could give me some of this information, and I'm sure there's some others who are wondering about these same things and would appreciate it too.

Kind regards,

Sean

I recommend the Blue Wonder from Lazer Toyz (make sure you order it with the firewall mount) with the 15 amp Multistar ESCs and 8 x 4.5 props. Battery: 1300 3S - 2200 3S

I hope this helps.

-Chad

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Chad I hope you do not mind my input here for a more experienced quad pilot RotorBones build,

Here is another motor for the rotorbones borrowed from the Armattan design (use same prop as Chad listed):

High quality magnets and Japanese bearings.
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-be2208-...p-6229.html?osCsid=seiuuk78n0s9oqbikobohshrp7

Be advised that this one is FULL Aerobatic. 5 seconds of full throttle will result in a new satellite in orbit. ;)
For acrobatics use either a SimonK flashed esc or a HobbyWing SkyWalker series esc:
http://www.valuehobby.com/multicopters/multicopter-motors-and-escs/hobbywing-skywalker-20a.html

Buy extra wood parts. You will crash during multiple flips.

Thurmond

Last edited:

baddox

I have heard the hosts recommend judicious use of zip ties. How much of the stuff in the AnyCopter kit can be feasibly zip tied rather than screwed?

rshaan

how long does shipping take? i ordered mine last week and haven't received a tracking number.

Thanks guys!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Did it come in the foam box?

If so, I'd try to recess that down in the center hole and adhere with some good double sided foam tape.

muffies

Hi

I'm registering to say that I'm little surprised by the motor advices given specially in the Facebook comments.
Readers ask for the motors you used in the video and you direct them to another kind of motors.

In the video I think you used stronger motors because of the added weight (gopro, camera mount, etc.) (also they look black.). With all that stuff, no way the park300 and friends will lift the tricopter with ease. it's more or less 900gr all up instead of like 300 or 400gr.

Can you clarify?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
mufles, I easily carry a GoPro on 380 equivalent motors.

I've actually done this with two different motors in that power class, a 900 KV and a 1200 KV. I liked the lower KV because I ended up with a little smoother flight. But, I found with the slightly higher KV, while it was twitchier, I had more control authority, and it had more snap when I wanted to change altitude.