Rotor Bones

earthsciteach

Can someone provide me with the dimensions between the arm attachment points of the bat bone? Are they all symmetrical?
I'm having cool thoughts!

Thanks!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Well, this stinks.

I can not stress the importance of good props for a successful operation of any multi rotor.

I placed an order with Value Hobby, and I got some of their multi rotor 8x4 props.

These things are... David can you help me with this?
Sweedish Dave said:
Hooooooooorable.
Thanks David.

I knew as soon as I touched them they were not going to work. They are very thin and flimsy. They flex very easily, and when using them they create a terrible vibration.

Even as balanced as I was able to get them, you can watch one motor just start shaking, due to the flex in the prop, twisting the blade while it's spinning.

Now I have to place an order for good props.

Other than that, my Rotor Bones quadcopter is ready to go. From the little bit of flying I was able to get out of it, I'm very excited as to it's promised performance.

earthsciteach

Can you measure the distance from the point where the back arm attaches to the bat frame to where the side arm attaches to the bat frame. Then measure the distance between where the two front arms attach to the bat frame. I can work out the rest.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks a lot Flite Test. I just spent over $40.00 on propellers because I'm addicted to your multirotors... :D

(although, I saw sets of carbon fiber ones that you couldn't buy one, for $40...)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Thanks a lot Flite Test. I just spent over $40.00 on propellers because I'm addicted to your multirotors... :D

(although, I saw sets of carbon fiber ones that you couldn't buy one, for $40...)

FM IF you find a good prop. please share because out of the 200+ I have bought in the last 21 months NOT ONE has been what it should. I don't care how much it cost or who makes it!!!!! Not a single one was balanced and if it is more than a buck or 2 IT had BETTER be BALANCED in my book. By the way I am using HK Turnigy (Gemfan) props where I can but still each one os out of balance BADLY when received!

Thurmond

Last edited:

muffies

I like the HK SF and the APCs.
Neither are balanced when they come but they're easy to balance and sturdy. The HK SF are the ones recommended in the flitetest shop basically.

muffies

Looking at the video several times It seems like everyone uses the lasertoy (even with gopro as FlyingMonkey mentionned, thanks man!) except David on his tri-quad, where he seems to have some kind of tiger motors, I guess it might be 2216-12's.
Those seems to be a lot more efficient (and a lot more expensive :) although it'd be nice to list the option I guess - personally I am curious!

muffies

replying to myself, after looking up some more data on the 2712-12 24g (lasertoys and others) it seems at 3S/8x4.5 it has about 500gr of thrust at 100% throttle (thats 1.5Kg total for 3 motors). it also correlate lasertoy's data in fact.
Given my similar tri 2.5 is about 1.1Kg (GP3, 3300mah 3S, DT750), I would estimate the bat bones is about 900gr to 1kg with the same equipment but much lighter motors. Thats about 1.6x thrust ratio at 900gr.

That's more than enough to fly however, flight will probably be around the upper side of the throttle range, which is probably why someone (from flitetest i think) said somewhere they liked the park300 for the additional power as well, despite the more brittle construction.

Now, my DT750 have about 950gr of thrust with 10x4.7 props... which is fine when I'm flying but sometimes I feel like I could have yet a little more power. Thats 2.59x thrust ratio.

So yeah. For any sport flying *with* some load on the frame, I don't think the 2712-12 24g cut it. They'll fly but that's that. They're going to be fine for mildy sporty flying without the additional FPV loading and with the 2200mah 3S tho - no question about that (and thats the recommended flitetest setup)

xtrmtrk

Mounting FCs

Anybody have any recommendations for mounting the KK 2 board to the anycopter hub?

Along those lines, how about ideas on how to mount an OpenPilot CC3D? It doesn't come with any foam or anything like that.

I was thinking about maybe using 4 rubber o-rings to suspend it in the middle of the opening in the top plate? But then, there might be too much vibration and resonance doing that.

Otherwise, I'm assuming I need to make some kind of adapter plate.

Is anyone flying with a CC3d? Any ideas would be appreciated.

My rotor bones quad with a gopro is roughly 38oz. It was determined on another forum that that's a bit overweight. I was just curious what everyone else's rotor bones quads weigh.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Along those lines, how about ideas on how to mount an OpenPilot CC3D? It doesn't come with any foam or anything like that.

I was thinking about maybe using 4 rubber o-rings to suspend it in the middle of the opening in the top plate? But then, there might be too much vibration and resonance doing that.

Otherwise, I'm assuming I need to make some kind of adapter plate.

Is anyone flying with a CC3d? Any ideas would be appreciated.

you could put window insulation under it, the foam type. Or figure out a way to put some type of an isolation device on the screws

trent.zx6r

Lift limits

Has anyone who has built this standard Quad bothered to test how much it can lift? if so can they pass on the info that would be great. Im trying for around the 400g mark (Plus the quad)