Rotorgeeks - Brilliant company!!!!

Robbie

Hey Guys,

I would like to just say, i got a quad back of 30A ESCs from Rotorgeeks which flew well, however the on one with the bec, the bec didn't work, (it should be noted the ESC still took signals from the Naze fine). I exchanged a few emails to David Klein in customer service, where he tried to trouble shoot with me, we finally concluded that the bec was infact faulty. So Rotorgeeks immediatly shipped out a new ESC with bec for me.

I would just like to say that having delt with prodominantly Chinese companies in this hobby, it is really refreshing to get a company with really good customer service, and i would like to shout out to Rotorgeeks for being a really good vender for Multi-rotor parts, and unlike many companies they do their own thrust tests for motors, and do tutorials on how to flash their escs which is just another thing which makes life a little bit easier in such a complicated hobby.

Thank you Rotorgeeks

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
David runs a tight ship and sets an example a lot of small businesses in the multi-rotor community should follow.

MT Alex

You bet, Rotorgeeks is a top notch company and David does a fantastic job in helping advance the hobby, as well as providing top notch sales and service. There are many who could learn from his example.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
RotorGeeks, Altitude, MultirotorSuperStore, GotHeliRC, GetFPV, all are good shops that specialize in our hobby and blow the Chinese away on service.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Yes, I am very pleased with Rotorgeeks and I don't even have my first order yet. I've had two questions about products that were answered in a very real and timely fashion. I say real because HK is notorious for very vague pre-made answers. I ordered some ESCs and Cobras that I knew were out of stock and David noted that fact very friendly in the order comments.

narcolepticltd

cobras are suppose to be showing up any day?

chris.

yes, but he still allowed people to order them and has the fedex tracking number of the shipment posted so you can see when they're actually due to arrive at his shop. It's a sneaky tactic... made me spend more money! I ordered 6 cobra 2204/1960kv motors and a bunch of bullnose props for... something :)

jipp

yes, but he still allowed people to order them and has the fedex tracking number of the shipment posted so you can see when they're actually due to arrive at his shop. It's a sneaky tactic... made me spend more money! I ordered 6 cobra 2204/1960kv motors and a bunch of bullnose props for... something :)

just checked.. that is pretty clever on his part. i bet people were like O man a delay! heh.

"9:13 am Clearance delay - Import MISSISSAUGA, O"

chris.

jipp

That's just the package sitting in customs :) Still has the expected delivery date of tomorrow (I won't see the motors till at least next week anyways)

ok, was not sure what that meant. yeah.

i was looking it seems he offers both version with bullets and with out. im assuming you order with out.

today i got a rock in my motor from prop wash.. and had to take the motor off the frame, thankfully i did not have to try and pop the C ring as i do not know if i could of got it off with how much room i had.. no broken props yet, just a stupid rock from the wash.. maybe if i had legs that would not of happen.. i found a piece of cardboard after that to take off from.

im starting to think maybe having the bullet connectors are not such a bad idea from a fixing stand point.. unless its rare to get a motor jammed.. i know you got a peice of metal in yours, and today i got a rock.. thats why i started to think this way.

any thoughts? but then i guess if i would of installed the esc in the frame i would of had at least 3" to work with. maybe its rare to get a motor jammed.. but it sure made me rethink the idea of bullets may not be a bad idea..

chris.

narcolepticltd

ok, was not sure what that meant. yeah.

i was looking it seems he offers both version with bullets and with out. im assuming you order with out.

today i got a rock in my motor from prop wash.. and had to take the motor off the frame, thankfully i did not have to try and pop the C ring as i do not know if i could of got it off with how much room i had.. no broken props yet, just a stupid rock from the wash.. maybe if i had legs that would not of happen.. i found a piece of cardboard after that to take off from.

im starting to think maybe having the bullet connectors are not such a bad idea from a fixing stand point.. unless its rare to get a motor jammed.. i know you got a peice of metal in yours, and today i got a rock.. thats why i started to think this way.

any thoughts? but then i guess if i would of installed the esc in the frame i would of had at least 3" to work with. maybe its rare to get a motor jammed.. but it sure made me rethink the idea of bullets may not be a bad idea..

chris.

I ordered without bullets as I don't use them (only ordered them 'with' on the last order because that's all there was available, and since I cut the wires short anyways, knew it would only take a second to desolder the bullets).

I ended up with foreign material in my motor because I stuck it in the ground like a shuriken (same motor on more than one occasion). After brushing the soil out I noticed it was still seized, so I had to take it apart to get the FOD out... since it was metal, it was sticking in the magnets so that was the only way to remove it.

On the tri, I've passed probably 100 batteries through it and crashed many times, but have yet to run into that issue. I'd say you only have to take the motors off when you have to take the motors off :)

I do however plan on keeping spare motors on hand from now on. I was pretty annoyed when it was seized as I didn't have a spare and thought it might be done.

EDIT: it's also no big deal to desolder motor wires and reconnect everything afterwards. Already done it twice in one weekend. I honestly don't like bullet connectors on a MR... fine for a foam airplane I guess.

Last edited:

jipp

I ordered without bullets as I don't use them (only ordered them 'with' on the last order because that's all there was available, and since I cut the wires short anyways, knew it would only take a second to desolder the bullets).

I ended up with foreign material in my motor because I stuck it in the ground like a shuriken (same motor on more than one occasion). After brushing the soil out I noticed it was still seized, so I had to take it apart to get the FOD out... since it was metal, it was sticking in the magnets so that was the only way to remove it.

On the tri, I've passed probably 100 batteries through it and crashed many times, but have yet to run into that issue. I'd say you only have to take the motors off when you have to take the motors off :)

I do however plan on keeping spare motors on hand from now on. I was pretty annoyed when it was seized as I didn't have a spare and thought it might be done.

EDIT: it's also no big deal to desolder motor wires and reconnect everything afterwards. Already done it twice in one weekend. I honestly don't like bullet connectors on a MR... fine for a foam airplane I guess.

thanks for the reply.. i guess i just had one of them days.. should of bought a lotto ticket. heh.

the only issue i would have i guess with de-solder, is it hard to remove shrink wrap. id think it be a pain.. but maybe there is a trick. ( i do want to find the special tool they use for these motor clips.. i think it will be worth having.. if they were on a car id just look for C clip pliers but these are so small i cant remember seeing a pair so small in the auto store. )

i could see how bullets could possible rattle lose.. on a larger AP machine, maybe not that big of a deal since every thing is big. but ill just solder up my motors i think..

and like you i was worried as i have no motors.. so i plan on ordering some so i have a spare.

probably get a extra set of EMX 1806 just for the ZMR.. and maybe make a tri with the other three.. and then i can salvage a motor from a tri if i need one later on.. seems like a good plan.. even tho i would like some larger 2204 just to see the power difference but to be honest.. im just hovering right now and plan on doing so for many more packs so i do not really need anything larger at the moment... but i will thats for sure as my confidence gets better, and i feel i own the MR instead of being a little nervous and focusing so much on the quad. but i guess that is normal for us new pilots.. .

chris.

narcolepticltd

an exacto knife makes short work of heat shrink. I ended up using 2 small flathead screwdrivers to pop the circlip on my cobras... just have something there to catch it or you WILL lose it.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
an exacto knife makes short work of heat shrink. I ended up using 2 small flathead screwdrivers to pop the circlip on my cobras... just have something there to catch it or you WILL lose it.

Nifty trick is to pop off Circlips in a Plastic Bag.....

It's also a good idea to one of these handy -
(Home Depot magnetic sweeper)

magnet.jpg

Best regards,
PCH

zenguerilla

Those C-clips have a habit of traveling through the air no matter how softly you try to remove them, it seems.

Regarding bullet ESC and motor connectors, I am still expecting someone to make PDB style arms with just solder pads at either end, (edit: or at appropriate distances for on-arm ESC mounting), depending on whether there are already some out there for some particular model or another.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Those C-clips have a habit of traveling through the air no matter how softly you try to remove them, it seems.

Regarding bullet ESC and motor connectors, I am still expecting someone to make PDB style arms with just solder pads at either end, (edit: or at appropriate distances for on-arm ESC mounting), depending on whether there are already some out there for some particular model or another.

Not replaceable arms and on a tiny little 200 class frame, but check out the Tarot TL200A.

PDB, Signal routing and ESC routing all in the PCB. Everything but a UBEC.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2336645

. . . but a broken arm and you've got a lot of soldering to redo. Hopefully the little 200 can take it :p