Roughly 1/10 scale Heinkel 111 : 2.25m (7' 4") wing span

robobob

So a few days ago I started pondering over the concept of building an RC heinkel 111. I've always had a strong fondness for this plane, and found its smooth curves and eliptical wings very aesthetically pleasing.
I then thought about building it to the same scale as the FT spitfire, realising that the possibility of these two majestic warbirds, flying high in the sky as though they were in the Battle of Britain of 1940, would not be an opportunity to miss....

Today marked day two of drawing up the plans and it's reached the stage where I think it's maybe worth showing to the rest of the flite test community. Having been working hard on drawing up these plans for the past two days I've been doing some serious thinking of how feasable this project is.... (and whether I might just be a complete and total lunatic for even having spent so much time on it already) But for now, every part of me is compelled to build this thing and do it well. Thus I give you the progress so far, and present to you the plan of attack (pardon the pun) for undertaking this enormous task.

Here you can see all the current parts (though incomplete) I have drawn out.

heinkel 111 stage 2 All current components.PNG

heinkel 111 stage 2 All current components (2).PNG

With the top down view above and this front view you can get a good idea of how I will be building the engine nacelles. They will be built along the visibly straight/parralel section of leading edge. The design of the middle rib of this section will be adjusted and extended, allowing the rest of the nacelles formers to attach solidly to the main wing.

heinkel 111 stage 2 wing ribs full.PNG

To allow for potential transport of this plane, the wings would be composed of three sections, each of approximate width 700cm.
The middle section, half of which is pictured here will be fixed to the underside of the plane.

heinkel 111 stage 2 inner wing ribs.PNG

And two outer sections, pictured below, that will slide off the end of the middle wing section, likely fitted with carbon rods/tubes.

heinkel 111 stage 2 outer wing ribs.PNG

Finally here is a shot of just the ribs of the fuselage and wing spar, which provides a good idea of how I'm planning to capture the plane's smooth curves.

heinkel 111 stage 2 fuselage ribs and wing spar.PNG

All of these cad drawings might seem pointless if I can't convert them to physical printable plans, however this software has the great ability to allow me to convert sketches (This is what all of the things I have drawn so far are) into a DXF format. This can then be further converted to a pdf, jpg, many other formats, or even sent to a laser cutter if I desired. Though no, I will not be lasercutting the parts for this project.

Finally moving onto plans for actual construction, I intend on making these parts I have drawn up so far from 3mm or 5mm foamboard, and then skinning the entire thing with sheet pieces of 2mm or 3mm depron, this being without the paper, and thus lighter and more flexible. I am of course, concerned about strength, and I think I will have to make some fuselage and wing spars from 5mm birch plywood or balsa. My other main concern is weight, which of course the addition of some plywood will not help. I think that I will have to hope that the large wing area will be enough to provide significant lift for it to take off from the ground.

Next up on the design list for this project is finishing off the basic fuselage ribs, and potentially designing the custom 3D printable landing gear retracts. I want these to be a key feature of the aircraft, accurately recreating the mechanism from the original heinkel 111.

For now though, I'd love to know what everyone thinks of this project, and the progress so far: Do you think I'm an utter lunatic, or could this go on to be a successful project?

~Rob.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Man that looks great, looks like you are using fusion 360. You gotta tell me how you did all those airfoil shapes and all the other cool stuff!

As for what you said in the challenge thread, this one does not qualify but it doesn't mean that it can't fly formation with all the other planes that will be created at a flying event!

robobob

Quick progress update,
I started work on a very rough model for the first potential prototype of the landing gear arm, visible below:

Landing gear stage 1 (2).PNG

Landing gear stage 1 (1).PNG

Pretty soon I think I'll be able to do a virtual test in fusion and see how the landing gear folds up, in it I just need to finish those parts up so that they work well for the joint system in fusion.

I've also been doing some further thinking about the construction of the landing gear, my thoughts being rather than 3D print the the full parts for the landing gear, I could buy carbon fibre tubes, and simply 3D print brackets to join the parts together. Closest comparison would be saying it's similar to how pvc pipes connect together? This would I hope give me a greater strength to weight ratio, which for large custom made landing gear seems to be fairly essential, but would also hopefully reduce the time taken to produce the retracts and remove the potential cost of having to send the retracts off to a printing company to be produced on a larger printer than the one available at school.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I would worry about the gears flexing to the sides with that setup, otherwise it should be fine.

robobob

Finalised the 3D models for the landing gear today, will be looking to 3D print the parts in school tomorrow, then complete a test assembly of one full set when my carbon fibre tubes arrive.... The parts colored in white are to be 3D printed, and obviously the carbon fibre speaks for itself.

Landing gear finalised 2.PNG

Landing gear finalised 4.PNG

I plan to attatch the parts together using small 3D printed pins nicely visible here:

Landing gear finalised 3.PNG

Here's a nice view of the full 3D model:

giphy.gif

JGplanes

Wow! Nice work. I've always admired the lines of the He111 also. I built the Monogram model kit as a kid. I'm very interested in seeing, building, helping with this. I have some F360 experience and 3D printer also. I don't have a lot of time, but let me know if I can help.

robobob

Man that looks great, looks like you are using fusion 360. You gotta tell me how you did all those airfoil shapes and all the other cool stuff!

Sorry it took me such a while to get round to this one, but yes I am using fusion 360, and here's a quick step by step of how I drew the airfoils, cause they're super easy.

First I draw a cross marking out the four main points of the wing, the leading edge, the trailing edge, and the highest and lowest points of the airfoil:
Wing drawing stage 1.PNG

Next I use the elipse tool like so:
Wing drawing stage 2.PNG

Then I trim the relevant elipse sections leaving the bits that I need:
Wing drawing stage 3.PNG

And finally I complete the last two connections to the trailing edge, by drawing arcs while holding down the mouse while using the line tool:
Wing drawing stage 4.PNG

This can also be done by using a tangential arc, which will work better if you're on a laptop and don't have access to a mouse, but you'll need to trim the two parts of the original cross you drew. (now no longer visible in this photo.) I don't like this as much as I find keeping the cross is useful for referencing measurements and other sketches later on through the design process:
Wing drawing stage 4 (tangential arc optional).PNG

Hope this is useful!

Last edited:

robobob

Wow! Nice work. I've always admired the lines of the He111 also. I built the Monogram model kit as a kid. I'm very interested in seeing, building, helping with this. I have some F360 experience and 3D printer also. I don't have a lot of time, but let me know if I can help.

For now I don't think I'll need any help with fusion, as 3D modelling is something I would consider a strong skill of mine, However I will be releasing the fusion files, and plans hopefully, for this build after I finish it. Both of these being provisional of my not giving up/actually finishing the build, and the build actually working and coming together as I hope.
It would be super cool to see someone else build it though, and I suppose if you wanted to build at the same time as me as such, I'm sure I might be able to make the plans available before I build.

robobob

Quick update: Progress has been rather slow as I've just spent the weekend away going to university open days. (For anyone interested I'm planning to study engineering, probably either aerospace engineering or design engineering, depending on which university I go to) I had a go at trying to 3D print the landing gear on our school's 3D printer on friday, however after several failed attempts with the printer basically turning the print into a bundled mess pushing it around on the build pad, I decided our printer has had it, and I'm gonna look for another potential solution. I found a place where I live that offers printing at a very reasonable hourly rate, so I should be able to try heading over there and printing the landing gear on thursday. With any luck my carbon fibre spars will have also arrived, so I'll be able to pretty much assemble one or both gear units, depending how long it takes, and how much it costs me to print.

Heading back to the actual plans, I've been working on optimising the design for 5mm foamboard, as that's what we have readily available here in the uk. For example, marking out all the notches where the pieces will slot together, and making all the parts slightly smaller to allow for the 3mm skin of depron that will be going around the outside.

Heinkel stage 3 outer wing ribs and spars.PNG

In general though, this stage requires more rigorous planning and thought, so until actual construction progress from here will be extremely slow, as I'm having to think hard about how I'll be actually putting the whole plane together.